• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadBoy

Reaction score
Much trues.

But the Daks is good. Everything else should be set up on a speed date with fire. (sorry Pack66, there's a lot of fail in there)

I've heard some Daks is quite good. The only stuff I've ever handled has been sandpaper-y and fused, though.

Drng

Reaction score
GAHhhhhh. This thread always makes me green with envy. I hit 3 goodwills today and all I left with was a hugo boss LS. You blokes must live near a lot of old money.

On another note, anyone offering anything in 40L for suits or 15.5 34-35 dress shirts?

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ahhhh, I just saw a Ben Silver Jacket with Penn Buttons.
baldy%5B1%5D.gif
You passed on a Ben Silver blazer w/ brass buttons?! :fu:
ah didn't see the soles okay that makes me feel better, mine are going off to nat then
You rang?

thriftydood

Reaction score
Yeah, the Daks suits and blazers/sportcoats that I've seen have all left me unimpressed. The only nice Daks item I've ever come across was a pair of Made in England odd pants with sidetab adjusters.
I've heard some Daks is quite good. The only stuff I've ever handled has been sandpaper-y and fused, though.

MartiniGirl

Reaction score
MartiniGirl - Im quite impressed at the Campagna scissors comment. Wow.

You are?? Wasn't trying to impress.... Was stating what I thought it looked like!
shog[1].gif
......I've impressed The Mighty One!
lol8[1].gif

plain.gif

I was actually just thinking how clean it is. (note that the focus is off in that pic)

It was out of focus? Welp... time to get my eyes checked! Either way, you looked very nice.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for some 15.5/34 dress shirts with a nice collar that will tuck under a suit jacket lapel
Solid white most preferred but I wear all kinds of colors and patterns as well
Throw me a bone

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

MartiniGirl - Im quite impressed at the Campagna scissors comment. Wow.

Gmmcl -
I always scroll slow at your fit pics, am quite impressed at the top, but your thighs down always disappoint me. Your pants, Im guessing are 9.5-10" at the cuff? I think you would benefit from going to an 8.5-9.25" comfort zone on the cuff, and wearing less blobby shoes. The top is so fitted and looks great, the bottom is discordant from that to my eyes.

I know, not the thread for critiques, but I know you are trying to improve and have made leaps and bounds so far.

Carry on

Thanks, Spoo. I appreciate that. It's all a process and the only way to learn is to be taught. Your complement is high praise indeed, and that even the critique addresses so fine a detail I take as a complement that much of the rest has fallen into place.

Candidly, I've begun noticing my own dissatisfaction with my bottom half fit too. Just as my sense of fit at the top half has gradually refined, now my sense of fit on the bottom half is coming around. A few headwinds there, though:
1. Everything we buy is secondhand, and likely to be several seasons old. Where we can even find flat front, it's usually cut a few years closer to the 1990s Parachute Pant Travesty, and slightly baggier.
2. I grew up during said 1990s Parachute Pant Travesty. It's what I know and what feels comfortable. Old habits die hard.
3. At the leading edge of said Parachute Pant Travesty, I had a tendency to wear very, very, VERY tight jeans (see jeans art jeans posted a few days back). Which, when I moved to Cali -- then the champion of the "Extra Large/baggy/rapper" look for yoots -- earned me no small measure of abuse. If old habits die hard, old habits learned the hard way die hardest
4. I am (or was....) a pretty athletic guy. I've mentioned I was a rower. When I exercise, I use the rowing machine and have a penchant for squats. The sport of rowing is 95% legs. Result: Mutton legs. MASSIVE at the top, skinny at the bottom. Hard to fit.
5. (As to length) During said pre-Parachute Pant Travesty phase, I had a tendency to "peg" my pants -- roll them folded to taper them and show sock. (OH GOD! THE HORROR! STOP THE FLASHBACKS AND WASH MY EYES!). Again, which earned me some considerable measure of abuse. Consequently, I have an absolute aversion to showing socks, especially while walking. This leads to major puddling, if not downright stacking, when standing still. Old habits, and all that.
6. I'm insanely cheap. I'd rather wear trou 1" too small than pay $15 to get the waist let out. So paying $20 to have the cuff/hem taken out, leg opening slimmed, and then cuff/hem put back in on SCORES of -- literally, many dozen -- trou will happen only once I've won the lottery. Or once fashion turns back to parachute pants and everyone donates all their slim fits. But by then I'll have a new problem....

So I'm working on it. But sadly this is where we will likely find ourselves for some time. Again, I take the critique in the helpful vein in which it was intended, and very much appreciate it.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
3. At the leading edge of said Parachute Pant Travesty, I had a tendency to wear very, very, VERY tight jeans (see jeans art jeans posted a few days back). Which, when I moved to Cali -- then the champion of the "Extra Large/baggy/rapper" look for yoots -- earned me no small measure of abuse. If old habits die hard, old habits learned the hard way die hardest

Last edited:

Dolfan954

Reaction score
Little late to catching up on the thread...

But why not just skip the whole pick-up lines thing? Go straight into action....

LZ_JslRoqky18jbHXsFkCg2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads