1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

Pass. Couldn't even give away a NWT current Versace tie.

2. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

While thrifting I stumbled upon a thin sweater, that's too tight and small to be a sweater but perfect to be a baselayer!
    [​IMG]

I was ready to buy another smartwool baselayer for next winter trek in the mountains so 100$ saved.
    Sexy vneck cut an color are additional bonuses.

[​IMG]

please feel free to praise me on my innovative nature

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  3. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Well-Known Member

Oh, I did. I knew I'd never wear it, but I haven't paid attention to what newer Versace goes for. Well made tie though and very nice sik.

4. Digmenow

Digmenow Well-Known Member

Sounds like the VV across from Capital Plaza. They ALWAYS have lines wrapping around the back wall.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

Real skins. Very nice find. If they are a 9.5 Im hoping for a PM.

Hmmm...no. These were the only boots there. Not Justin, they are made by Dan Post. Are you sure we are talking about the same place? They just went out yesterday, per the date tag.

Its probably a 30-40 dollar bill.

Regarding this :

[​IMG]

Does anyone else not find it bixarre that I posted a picture of a ninja turtle and I found sea turtle today?

Tomorrow I am posting pictures of Benjamin Franklin and Kate Upton with every post, fair warning.

---

Update on the Belstaff - it fits me perfect. :fu: And looks so good on me.

Its this one, I believe :
    http://www.belstaff.com/MEN/OUTERWEAR/Jackets+and+Coats/71020127L81N0056-8,en_US,pd.html?start=20

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AWESOME-Pen...86?pt=US_CSA_MC_Outerwear&hash=item51b5bd439e

[​IMG]

6. Hopmoleman

Hopmoleman Member

Hmmm...no. These were the only boots there. Not Justin, they are made by Dan Post. Are you sure we are talking about the same place? They just went out yesterday, per the date tag.

My mistake but I came across an eerily similar pair of boots early this morning...very similar look, similar place and same date tag. I'm really curious as to how similar....may have to run out early tomorrow.

7. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

8. Ds13

Ds13 Well-Known Member

After seeing the past couple of posts my day seems very average...

But I will post anyways since I want to be more involved here.

One of my better days, 7 hours later.
    43(not sure of length), no pants looked for an hour :(
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And the southwick fits, bittersweet.

Also found a BB "Brooksease" suit, hugo boss suit, and a bunch of Robert Talbott Best of Class ties to flip, and a couple of other randoms to flip.

and a couple of personal grails. Including, NWT jcrew slim fit cords for $4, NWT Pendleton long sleeve shirt, and a "Baroni" suit, anyone have anything to say about them? It is amazing material, insanely soft and a staple navy suit (which I was in need of).

9. SpooPoker

Welcome to the community!

Not bad on your day. If you were selling it instead of keeping it, I would take the gun and leave the Baronis.

10. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

THREAK. ON. FUEGO. Holy holy. Congrats, guys. ---------- Maybe I've been overtaken a bit early by the Holiday Spirit, but I've been reflecting lately how fortunate I've been to have become a part of this community, to have found such a fun and interesting hobby, to have learned as much as I have, and to have the kind of wardrobe rotation that would be the envy of many a man. Some of that has come from the sweat of my own brow and cash procured the hard and dirty way -- Ebay. But much of it has come from the generosity of many of you, and I want to pause to say THANK YOU. As a reward, I'ma share some pr0n. Ties. Random assemblage of some recent finds and some of my faves. Drakes cashmere, Cappelli, RLPL, Nautica cashmere, Jil Sander, Zegna cashmere, Tom Ford (a FREE gift extra in a trade -- seriously), T&A grenadine, Cappelli, T&A grenadine, Drakes grenadine Kiton, BB cashmere, Isaia wool 6 fold, Atmosphere, Zegna cashmere, Drakes grenadine, Bizzocchi, RLPL, Brioni, Isaia Kiton, Hamilton, Sciunnach, Truzzi cashmere, Etro wool, Brooksfield, Barbera, unknown, Jeff Rose bespoke, Barbera I have literally 4 drawers full of ties as or nicer. [​IMG] Shoes (couldn't fit them all in one shot; there are some hidden behind the bed): [​IMG] L to R, AE Sanford, Mercanti Fiorentini, Florsheim Royal Imperials, TBNY, Barrie Ltd shell, Alden J&M Signature Made in Italy dubmonks, Woolvie 1000 mile, RM Williams, PRL by C&J shell [​IMG] Lloyd & Haig shell, AE Coppel, Alden shell full strap, Bally suede full strap, Martegani dubmonks C&J jodhpur, Bally, Magnani, Unknown shell, Alden, Alden [​IMG] J&M, RLPL by Sassetti Church's, Santoni fatte a mano for Zegna, AE Park Ave Santoni fatte a mano, Meermin dubmonks, Peal [Bally, Martegani] TBNY, AE [Alden] Bruno Magli, Loake for Tyrwhitt [​IMG] This is my "current season" sport coat closet. L to R (absent is the 100% cashmere Oxxford that's on the bed in the shoe shot -- waiting to go to the tailors to have buttons swapped): Abboud chocolate velvet blazer (bought at a sample sale with an employee discount), Huntsman, Zegna, Canali, Vintage NYC-based bespoke maker I can't recall, Orvis USA, Vintage blackwatch, Isaia, Isaia, Hickey bespoke 100% cashmere, Paul Stuart 100% cashmere, Daks, Vintage tweed, PRL Corneliani, Isaia, HF for Gieves 100% cashmere, HSM Gold Trumpeter, Khulman 100% cashmere, Isaia, PRL USA, Brooks w LP fabric, Zegna cashmere, Canali, Paul Stuart custom, Pendleton, Buncha waistcoats, including Faconnable, Canali, Corneliani [​IMG] My current season suits Samuelsohn for Carroll & Co, St Andrews, Richard James, Alexandre, PRL Corneliani, Samuelsohn for Paul Stuart, Loro Piana, PRL USA, Kiton, Brioni, Zegna, Kiton, Caruso, J Press, Sammy for Paul Stuart, St Laurie, Caruso, Sammy for Paul Stuart x3, Hickey, Anderson & Sheppard, Sammy for Paul Stuart, Buncha pocket squares [​IMG] And this is the offseason stuff: L to R: Tuxes include Zegna (BNWT when someone proxied it), Abboud black label (again, ee discount), and several cool smoking jackets, J Crew linen, bespoke Italian maker I don't recall, Attolini, Sartoria Italia, PRL USA linen x2, Corneliani, Etro, HSM bespoke, PRL USA, Battistoni cashmere. Shirts include BBBF and Cucinelli J Press, PRL USA, Sammy, HF, Zegna su misura, Sammy for Stuart, Alexandre, Samuelsohn, and some velvet blazers by makers I don't recall. [​IMG] Edit: somewhere in the SC rack there's a Loro Piana and a Samuelsohn I forgot to list. ------------------- So, again, to say that I consider myself fortunate is a major understatement. But I owe a lot of that to a lot of you. So, again, thank you.

16 people like this.
  11. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

Jesus whiz, man.

2 people like this.
  12. pnutpug

pnutpug Well-Known Member

Concealed's is different, and in my opinion, better. Check out the double pockets, two breast, two lower. I'm so hating that I flipped the one that I had, but I stupidly figured that my Woolrich was good enough, and it is. But that Pendleton. .Bought for $3, flipped for $75, which was too low, but I made a friend in the process who has paid me back with great deals on Hermes ties and much more, which is what all this should be about.

I hope that Concealed pulled the trigger..

13. Ds13

Ds13 Well-Known Member

and that you did... holy crap. I'm in awe, considering I just started, I cannot wait for my wardrobe to look even remotely close to this. Nice job.

I gotcha, I hadn't heard anything about them but I figured it wouldn't be a bad temporary until I can fill that void with something I truly love. Thanks Spoo

14. SpooPoker

and now we know that belts are not worth thrifting in CT.

15. Lirum

Lirum Well-Known Member

oh my god.

16. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

Why do you think I bought all those from you? Srsly, I find SHIT for belts.

1 person likes this.
  17. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

I tried to read GMMcL's post, but after the third shot of shoes, my eyes crossed. Literally could not comprehend the awesomeness I was looking at.

18. futuremyth

futuremyth Well-Known Member

That bottom right pair... pr0n is right. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. evolutionofRW

evolutionofRW Well-Known Member

Amazing finds lately gentlemen! A NWT leather Belstaff and that Sulka robe!?!? Wowwwwww!!!

MJMcRibb---Amazing find on the Rollie..even though it wasn't at thrift prices, I hope you still got a great deal!

Also GMMcL, all I can say is wow. Just wow. You have quite a rotation there. Well curated sir.

I guess I won't be posting my finds today LOL..

20. Ubryaj

Ubryaj Member

Went to 3 stores today. Pretty new to thrifting. Didn't have too much luck. One store had some good items, probably from the same donor, all larger sizes though and I don't feel experienced enough to flip stuff yet. Bought a Hanover (left). The Daks on the right had some stains so I left it.
    [​IMG]

Hardy Amies:
    [​IMG]
    AE McAllisters, not my size and rough shape so I left them:
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.