1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

That's kind of cool! I have a similar Pendleton shirt/jacket... Mine's from the 50's, not sure about this one...

On a side note, I found a vintage Boy Scout uniform shirt today of roughly the same vintage as your jacket, judging by the lettering. Synergy? I'll post pics of my picks a bit later.

2. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

3. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Oh, and a local GW has a bunch of 70s leisure suits if you're interested in making a disco outfit for your pooch...

4. pnutpug

pnutpug Well-Known Member

I never have anything worth trading, but he's let me have stuff for way, way cheaper than I had any right to expect. Also was a huge help when I was out his way a couple months ago and needed help finding a store. Total drag that there are asshats who would take advantage of someone like this. In my experience, there are some super-cool people here but there are some also some ass-wipe greed heads, so be careful out there.

1 person likes this.
  5. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

I found nice stuff today, including a Brioni morning suit -- yes, that's what I said -- and a Saks cutaway tails tux that I need date authentication on but it could potentially be super duper vintage, and either way is 100% hand made. Plus some other cool stuff. Traveling for business so it will likely be a while for deets and pics, unless I decide to do crappy phone pics tomorrow.

3 people like this.
  6. pnutpug

Wow, Tubs, just saw the dog coat. Put me on the list--I have no sewing skills but would love to deck out the pug in Harris Tweed. Mrs. Pnutpug has said no, and emphatically, to this:

http://www.oconnellsclothing.com/product.php?productid=22970&page=1

She says it's too extravagant. I say there'd be few things cooler than tooling round the neighborhood in matching Barbours.

7. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

+1 on Tubs being a great guy. He's hooked me up with stuff at cost multiple times and is a stand-up guy. It saddens me to hear that someone took advantage of his generosity...

Now this I need to see!

8. size 38R

size 38R Well-Known Member

you might be able to enter the thrift scavenger hunt with one of those........[​IMG]

9. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Found my most skeetastic skeet yet... Thebes, limited edition. Priced as a regular line shirt on the clearance rack.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pendleton Fitted Board S/S Shirt (Small, x2)

[​IMG]

Billy Reid Polo Shirt (Large)

[​IMG]

Gant Rugger Madras (Medium)

[​IMG]

BG Bogosse? I've never heard of this maker, but it seemed nice, and it was cheap...

[​IMG]

Jack Spade (XS)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  10. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Well-Known Member

Tubs is awesome, as is obvious from the dog coats. Ive got one piece for him and I'm trying to find more.

11. ScottW

ScottW Well-Known Member

Since my PM inbox already done blowed up, I guess mentioning that info might have saved some bandwidth for others. RLPL and Zegna are close enough to my size to fit with a little tailoring (lower collar, nip the waist an inch, adjust sleeve length) so are probably n/a.

Hackett is just a wee bit large for me, untagged but feels like 42R/L-ish. Large armholes and roomy through the midsection.

Thanks, and your Lanvin looks like good Lanvin to me (with the woman and child logo that looks kind of like a sailboat). Most of what's out there is back-to-back Ls, something like this... ╝╚ (best I can do without finding an actual pic) which should generally be avoided, though I did manage to sell one for [not-a-loss] that I picked up before I knew better.
    That's a sweet Kiton BTW.

I wish the hole was "in" (inside) the pocket! That's usually easy for me to repair. It's in the outside layer, below the left pocket. It's fairly inconspicuous and doesn't show up in the pics, but not quite as simple to fix properly.

Thanks, I tried to capture the feel of the moment. Just seeing hauls posted in this thread is enough to get me excited and often jealous, so to kop some baller cashmere with my own two hands... not gonna lie, I was a bit delirious, but I held it together until I got back in my car. Then I cranked up the stereo, dropped the windows and rocked out on the way home. The high was 35* that day, but I wasn't cold.

12. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Some other things from today (the thrift store edition):

Pataloha shirt (missing button wasn't noticed until just now) -Large

[​IMG]

Old(ish) Eddie Bauer Down Vest (M's Medium)

[​IMG]

Boy Scout Shirt (1960s?)

[​IMG]

Orvis shirt -Didn't notice it was a women's until now (size 6)

[​IMG]

Woolrich Flyfishing camp shirt (M's Large)

[​IMG]

Tori Richard Rayon Aloha shirt (M's Large)

[​IMG]

Tori Richard Cotton Lawn Aloha Shirt (M's Large)

[​IMG]

Obnoxiously loud Polo Ralph Lauren board shorts (size 36)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Howie Aloha shirt (picked up because it's my size and I've heard good things about Howie shirts)

[​IMG]

Ties: Ferrell Reed Silk/Cotton Blend, old Robert Talbott, Zegna, Talbott BOC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

I know that feeling well!

14. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Well-Known Member

Good (most recent) Lanvin
    Paolo Gucci doesn't sell, I read up on the whole thing when I found my first sport coat from them, had a family tussle, he left and sold stuff using his full name. Got sued, won, never did well though.
    Awesome tie haul!

Thanks to @Sloozebury for an excellent trade, feeling like I got the better end of the bargain, love the sc, will have to let the sleeves down as expected, but the fabric is nice!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  15. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

16. size 38R

size 38R Well-Known Member

I have been thrifting.... Sadly no suits,
    but did kop a Mark Wahlburg action figure.
    The man who makes boardwalk empire = a cool pick up.
    [​IMG]

some fun trying to look for things in the scavenger hunt list. even if i can't play. :D

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  17. pnutpug

Anyone who puts poly on a pooch deserves a visit from the ASPCA.

18. AlexJ1100

AlexJ1100 Well-Known Member

Found these a few weeks ago. They're are no markings on them other than the "Made in USA" on the bottom. Based on how the fit on me I'd say they are a 12 wide or 13.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. hooker4186

hooker4186 Well-Known Member

Stumbled on 2x Caraceni bespoke suits at $25 each, one in gray and one in a brown plaid. Passed as They were pretty massive 48-50R or L, were pretty dated cuts from 93 and 95 (unvented, besom pockets, low-ish gorge) and they had some holes in the jackets (didn't bother checking the trousers). eBay completed listings shows Caraceni sells pretty well when it does (which isn't all that often). Should I reconsider and see if they're there later on this week when I go by?

1 person likes this.
  20. thefastlife

thefastlife Well-Known Member

i like those!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.