1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndroFan

AndroFan Well-Known Member

Gotz this stuffs today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
    3 people like this.
  2. suited

suited Well-Known Member

:slayer: A couple things: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Well-Known Member

So my two cents as someone who regularly sends stuff off for consignment. I really love thrifting, getting in the stores and sorting through stuff gets my juices flowing. Actually doing something with it I hate. I bought a mannequin, and I have taken exactly ZERO pictures with it because I am a lazy bastard by nature. And saying anyone can sell for the same price is bullshit as well. I have listed things that have not gotten a single bidder even when I priced it very cheap, mainly because my pictures aren't that good and I have ~100 feedback. I gave a bunch of it to Brian and lo and behold much of it sold for as much as 3 or 4 times my opening auction bid. I am sure if I put massive amounts of time into my setup and sold a lot of stuff that eventually I could come close to selling as well as Brian or Spoo but that isn't fun for me so I will gladly give them a commision to do what I despise.

Also a couple of hours on the weekend may be easy for you to give up, but I have two sons who do something every weekend (Football, basketball, soccer, Taekwondo, Parkour, piano and guitar lessons). I would rather not spend it locked away in my basement taking pictures, ironing/steaming or writing listings.

As someone who regularly shops through thread members ebay pages I do a lot of impulse bidding while looking through their listing, I regularly bid on 10 - 15 things a week through my favorite sellers (Spoo, Nat, Brian and a few others). I do it because I like them and want to give them my business, and they sell good stuff. I do not regularly search out specific things, I don't need anything in my wardrobe but I always find something I want that these sellers have. For me this is a hobby, I don't need the money and mainly use it to fund things I do want (nice leather briefcase, Barbour Steve McQueen jacket) that my wife may get upset if I spend a grand on something like that. But since it comes out of my Paypal that she doesn't care about then life is good.

5 people like this.
  4. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

I have nothing of real purpose to add, but just wanted to say I've lurked this thread and have found it fascinating. Part of me is jealous and another part is sooo glad I'm not in the business (whether for personal use or flipping). I'm going to keep living vicariously through y'all :slayer:

3 people like this.
  5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

MC you should put together the compendium of best thrifts in the thread the way you used to do with WAYWRN fits!

6. AndroFan

AndroFan Well-Known Member

I find it fascinating that, on a thread full of consigners, the only issue of continuing butthurt in my long, and well-thumbed original post, is my railing against the usefulness of consigners.

On that note, the issue is dead to me.

If I've learned one thing during my innumerable hours spent on interwebz forums, it is this: people do what people do.

7. Reosymes

Reosymes Well-Known Member

AndroFan,

You're one of the most, if not the most, helpful poster on this thread. I'm not sure what the conflict here is, but consigning has absolutely saved me tons of time. I'm not counting time spent in the field (which I don't even consider as time wasted, since I love, love, love clothes!).

Here's one of my very first posts on this board, asking opinion on my first ebay listing for a sportsjacket: http://www.styleforum.net/t/309281/...icks-problems-questions/5800_100#post_6651600

The listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/231071216268?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I had an offer for $65 and was seriously considering it but it didn't feel quite right. As a seller with zero feedback I knew I had to mark it somewhat lower than average, but still, I wasn't happy with the offer. I contacted Brianpore, sent him this and a few other items, did the math and figured that for me to break even on the 'consign vs sell myself' decision, the consignor would have to sell stuff at a price roughly 30-35% more than I would. Brianpore's terms seemed reasonable enough for me.

Jacket sold today: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CORNELIANI-...%2FPozU71dH4GfeFyo4NU%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

It pisses me off to have to post-process pictures (don't have a lighting setup, don't like photography, but despise shoddy work in general), or to make space for inventory in my tiny closet. Everything in the listing process for me takes time. This way I can leave the mundane to the consignor and focus on what I really like: thrifting, and learning more about clothes.

Edit: I agree with you that people here can be rude dicks to newbies for no reason. The random pile-ons, oh my fucking god.

8. tubs

tubs Well-Known Member

Shout out to 1ofthecoolkids for hooking me up with these two G-Star jackets and a pair of RRL denim!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  9. Koala-T

Koala-T Well-Known Member

And a shout out to @Duke63 for an awesome trade! Enjoy the tie, bud. I love the shirt!

10. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Got this bad girl from the in laws! It has an USB port to connect to your compooterz!
    +

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

=

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Old Gucci...Damn, never knew how crappy these can be...Didn't cop.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Didn't cop but does anyone has any info on these? It's around a 36 if anyone wants a proxy.
    [​IMG]

The wifey made some bomb ass baked chicken with super crispy skin!!! Dude, bro, it's soooooooooo moist!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  11. highvoltorb

highvoltorb Well-Known Member

I didn't mean to be rude with my "Oh dear" comment earlier. It's just that the "Christian Dior tie first post" is so iconic in this thread, I felt compelled to say something. Honestly, that happens so often in here I feel like some of them HAVE to be trolls. My first post here was nothing but J.Crew and Abercrombie. I was ridiculed. I read about 1000 pages in a month and a half. I got better. It's only the internet.

1 person likes this.
  12. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

with thanks to another member I retract my somewhat rude post in hopes that Spoo was not being a dick to my comment. if it turns out he was, I'll repost it. :)

apologies for the digression... carry on gentlemen.

13. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Well-Known Member

^^^ I like my chicken medium-rare... [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. barrelntrigger

Oh, I see. Yeah, my camera is a piece of shit so the color is all off. I just coped a Nexus 7 so the camera should be better than this. Trust me, the chicken was nicely cooked and crispy! The meat was falling off of the bone while the skin was super super super crispy!

1 person likes this.
  15. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Well-Known Member

Now officially kicking myself for passing on the ugly-ass RT 7-fold I saw months ago. :brick:

16. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

Pretty sure Spoo was talking about something else.

17. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Well-Known Member

He wasn't talking to you, and way to take umbrage and insult the whole fucking thread in one go.

2 people like this.
  18. barrelntrigger

I think he was referring to the earlier comments that AndroFan made. I don't think it was pertaining to something you've said. It's the damn interwebz so misunderstand like these are pretty common, I guess. Anyhow, I'm super stoked cuz I've just found out you can make phone calls on Google Nexus 7!!! [​IMG]

Holy shit!

19. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

Again apologies to those whom I may have offended. For the record I was not insulting anyone for wearing thrifted items. I was addressing what appeared, in the nature of the comment, the hypocrisy of imperiousness coupled with a position which is clearly not one of regality from which the word is derived. There were no other relevant posts nearby, so once again, my fault for interpreting the comment right after mine as being directed toward me.

I'll go back to you guys finding cool shit and me wondering where the hell you found it.

1 person likes this.
  20. edwardthefirst

edwardthefirst Well-Known Member

No... Just. No. I can't even...

My god.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.