• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fit pic with the Crombie Chesterfield I picked up the other day, fresh from the cleaner. With Alden shortwings and one of two pairs of Pantherella's I picked up at the max the other day.

DeadBoy

Reaction score
Noob does, and barrelntrigger has been posting fits in the WAYWT No Discussion thread, though for some reason I think he might just be lost. But yeah, bowties are definitely a #menswear thing, SW&D isn't really about that.

I used to back before the whole thrift format switch. Since then, I've stuck to just this thread (seriously). Not sure why people often consider Diesel, 7FAM and the like SW&D stuff. Definitely not.

Yeah, I get the feeling like many folks here consider SW&D to be synonymous with hipster wear or simply anything people under 30 wear that's not tailored clothing.

There's nothing wrong with not caring about those styles, especially if it's not something you wear. But to not bother learning about it and then post thrifted items here saying "This is SW&D right?" is the same thing we chastise people for when they come here bragging about their London Fog raincoats and Lauren Ralph Lauren suits.

And my apologies to Noob.

Deadboy: I will totally kop to being a lazy ass when it comes to SWD. There is just literally a whole different universe of style and so, so, so many micro brands. I have a hard time keeping up with MC -- I mean, I auto pass on ALL Dior, Givenchy, Lanvin and the like because I'm too lazy to remember whether it's pour homme, or whatever that's the good stuff. So, yes, I rely entirely on this thread. Most often I google it from my phone in the store, other times I just rely on my sense of quality (because I never get good google results when I'm in the store). This tie is really nice, made in Italy of very nice fabric, and it seems odd that an SWD maker would make a bow tie if they thought it wouldn't appeal to their target market. I guess I'll return it. Or maybe make it literally the second bowtie in my collection.

I think you nailed it. It is completely different and many of the brands are so rare and so new (not like good old Zegna going back to the 70s) that it's probably not worth it to try and memorize countless Japanese names on the one in a million chance of finding it at a thrift. But it probably doesn't hurt to keep up to date on the basics, especially considering how out of touch with the real world this thread's groupthink can sometimes be.

Re: the bowtie though... I think in my initial comment I suggested looking at the eBay completed listings. If you paid like $30 or less for it, you could still make some cash. Or if you like it and wear bowties often enough to have two, wear it and who cares what the Internet has to say about the label.

Killer J. Peterman Company canvas/leather weekender bag. Check out the metal frame opening! Super cool. Appears to be unused.

Anybody have any helpful opinions about this? It's intriguing me

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160975268891?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

thanks!!!

I watched Argo last night. Those lapels kind of remind me of the ones on Ben Affleck's jackets in that film. What else intrigues you about the jacket?

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anybody have any helpful opinions about this? It's intriguing me

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160975268891?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

thanks!!!

I wouldn't pay $500 for a used jacket, no matter the maker. If you're spending that dough on a navy blazer, go for something new from J. Press or Brooks Brothers (500-600) or O'Connell's (300-400).

As for this particular jacket: I think a hard three button looks optimal on almost no one, even tall dudes.

Last edited:

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
speaking of that jacket, anyone else think it's a suit orphan that dude did a button swap on? seems so incongruous. old ass jacket with super shiny buttons. plus, does kiton even make blue-blood wasp-style blazers? why would kiton of all brands copy that?

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

speaking of that jacket, anyone else think it's a suit orphan that dude did a button swap on? seems so incongruous. old ass jacket with super shiny buttons. plus, does kiton even make blue-blood wasp-style blazers? why would kiton of all brands copy that?

That's exactly what I was thinking.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've yet to find a staple navy or gray suit in my size.
censored.gif
I second this.
baldy[1].gif

I wouldn't pay $500 for a used jacket, no matter the maker. If you're spending that dough on a navy blazer, go for something new from J. Press or Brooks Brothers (500-600) or O'Connell's (300-400).

As for this particular jacket: I think a hard three button looks optimal on almost no one, even tall dudes.
Agree.

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's exactly what I was thinking.

I am going to offer him $12 and see what happens...

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I get the feeling like many folks here consider SW&D to be synonymous with hipster wear or simply anything people under 30 wear that's not tailored clothing.

There's nothing wrong with not caring about those styles, especially if it's not something you wear. But to not bother learning about it and then post thrifted items here saying "This is SW&D right?" is the same thing we chastise people for when they come here bragging about their London Fog raincoats and Lauren Ralph Lauren suits.

And my apologies to Noob.

I think you nailed it. It is completely different and many of the brands are so rare and so new (not like good old Zegna going back to the 70s) that it's probably not worth it to try and memorize countless Japanese names on the one in a million chance of finding it at a thrift. But it probably doesn't hurt to keep up to date on the basics, especially considering how out of touch with the real world this thread's groupthink can sometimes be.

Re: the bowtie though... I think in my initial comment I suggested looking at the eBay completed listings. If you paid like $30 or less for it, you could still make some cash. Or if you like it and wear bowties often enough to have two, wear it and who cares what the Internet has to say about the label.

I watched Argo last night. Those lapels kind of remind me of the ones on Ben Affleck's jackets in that film. What else intrigues you about the jacket?

I'm not sure what the fuss over the bow tie is. I love em', just picked up 4 sweet wool numbers from RL, (cough, cough) Also, Nat that bag is the sechs as they say, as well as the vintage BR with tags, holy shite!

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

IDK, I've been eying a RLPL suede calfskin bomber for a few weeks now on the bay. :sarcasm:

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There wasn't much out there tonight. For that matter there hasn't been much out there for a while now. However, I did have one fantastic vintage find.

Gimbel's Sandringham double breasted cashmere overcoat. The union label puts it between 1949 and 1962. Unbelievably heavy and well made. The coat weighs almost 4 pounds, is only quarter lined and is tagged a 37 short, which should give you some idea of the weight of the cashmere. Horn buttons, belted back and tons of hand work. They really don't make them like this any more. And this was a Gimbel's store brand coat. Best of all...no moth damage.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That kiton has been worn a TON. look at how worn down the edges of the pocket are in the pic with the fabric tag, fabric probably has a ton of shine to it. Crazy price. Rule of thumb - if wowniceshirt is selling it, it's most likely overpriced, because they just bought it from somebody else on Ebay and have marked it up 2x. Also, those buttons look super chintzy and did not come with that jacket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads