• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OK, so maybe that last one is gratuitous, but you have to admit: He's a serious pimp.

EDIT: Before I start Thread War Three, I'm kidding guys. Chill.
+1 for amitaba bachan
fistbump.gif

Randomore

Reaction score
Got a couple NWT West is Dead stuff available I thought of make available here first.

Khaki chinos tagged 36.
T shirts. 2 V necks 1 xl 1 L. Crewneck size M

Pm me for deets.

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score
Guys, pat Robertson says your thrift store find might be possessed. So that dybbuk box **** might be for realz (sorry if someone already posted this)

http://www.salon.com/2013/02/26/pat...e_demons_attached_to_your_thrift_store_finds/

^^^ LoL. I missed the discussion that someone brought up about the dybbuk box, but I have a "haunted jacket" story. Let me preface it by saying that I am neither a superstitious person, nor am I prone to stepping through the looking glass.

A couple of years ago I went to a thrift store that was always somewhat out of my way, so I never really had it on a "route" per se. Either way, I hit the racks as usual and made my way to the jackets and suits. I was going through them when I reached out and grabbed the shoulder of a dark brown herringbone jacket. The material was quite dark and I could tell from the moment I touched it that it was old - not vintage old, but antique old. It felt like dust and mothballs and storage. I pulled it to give it a closer look. Natural shoulders, somewhat old-fashioned lapels, single-breasted three-button closure, single-button cuffs, shallow single vent, single interior breast pocket, handwritten tags. Old and English-made. Probably 1930s, if not earlier. I bought it.

I took it home and hung it on the corner of my fireplace mantel. I planned on leaving it there until I decided what to do with it. Sometime afterwards, I started getting the distinct impression that "it wasn't mine." I deal with vintage clothes all the time both in my personal wardrobe and my Etsy shop and have never encountered anything like it before or since. This feeling persisted until one evening, I couldn't get the image of it being worn (by someone other than me) out of my head. I was working at my desk which was in the same room as where the jacket was hanging when I finally called bullshit on it. I got up and put the jacket on. My wife was out of town for her work and I ended up falling asleep wearing it. I woke up the next morning again with the strong feeling that the jacket wasn't mine and that it was of particular personal value to somebody else. I redonated the damn thing.

Fin

tinfoil.gif

sparrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mens? Womens? Fits like a true mens med, buttons from the other side. It also has a waxy build up reminiscent of shell, so possibly horse hide? Debating weather to keep it, because it fit's me well and is really bad ass. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks dudes.
If it fits like a mens medium it probably is...unles we got some bigger females. dont want to see the xl versiosn then ;p
take a look at this mens equstarian jacket.
bbuttons on the same side
http://www.etsy.com/listing/105915816/houndstooth-jacket-equestrian-brown
so i think its just made to be that way

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shirt: Gitman Bros. Master Shirt Makers. Free - ChetBakerSings. Thanks again!
Jeans: RRL selvedge. Marshalls
Socks: Cabot & Sons. Made in Vermont. Marshalls
Belt: Minnesota Leather Works. London Tan. Paid retail
Shoes: Chippewa x J. Crew Homestead boot. Sale
Jacket: Taylor Supply Co. Sale

Nat, have whomever is taking the pics hold the camera around chest height (above the nips/below the lips :lol: ) to avoid the lens distortion that happens when taking head to toe shots that close. Looks good!

Last edited:

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i went thrifting again today, bought more watches. and some jeans.
nest.gif

A 1957-58 Seiko "Marvel" with patina'd face, and flawless glass. Reluctantly available.

and for the wife...

A 1960-64 "Queen Seiko" 23 jewels, original band. works perfectly.

jeans?

Studio D' Artisan selvedge jeans 30's not available -Mine. and 32's gone to trade.

and a vintage "Pierre Cardin" bag for a member on here....... jelly, i like this.
went home before i bought 3 pairs of Sugar canes, and some Iron hearts. all 30's.

Last edited:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All joking aside, does anyone here besides VLSI, caseyfud and acosbysweater ever actually look in SW&D? A quick scroll should be enough to disabuse many of the notions around what's desirable to that crowd (at least, the Styleforum SW&D crowd). Crappy quality, pretty ugly, way too expensive. The Tale of the Red in eBay completed listings reflects what that stuff is really worth.
Deadboy: I will totally kop to being a lazy ass when it comes to SWD. There is just literally a whole different universe of style and so, so, so many micro brands. I have a hard time keeping up with MC -- I mean, I auto pass on ALL Dior, Givenchy, Lanvin and the like because I'm too lazy to remember whether it's pour homme, or whatever that's the good stuff. So, yes, I rely entirely on this thread. Most often I google it from my phone in the store, other times I just rely on my sense of quality (because I never get good google results when I'm in the store). This tie is really nice, made in Italy of very nice fabric, and it seems odd that an SWD maker would make a bow tie if they thought it wouldn't appeal to their target market. I guess I'll return it. Or maybe make it literally the second bowtie in my collection.
A few ties
Dont give me **** about the last two, it was a package deal.
I rarely get hot and bothered about Behar ties, but that one's pretty nice.
^^^ LoL. I missed the discussion that someone brought up about the dybbuk box, but I have a "haunted jacket" story. Let me preface it by saying that I am neither a superstitious person, nor am I prone to stepping through the looking glass.
A couple of years ago I went to a thrift store that was always somewhat out of my way, so I never really had it on a "route" per se. Either way, I hit the racks as usual and made my way to the jackets and suits. I was going through them when I reached out and grabbed the shoulder of a dark brown herringbone jacket. The material was quite dark and I could tell from the moment I touched it that it was old - not vintage old, but antique old. It felt like dust and mothballs and storage. I pulled it to give it a closer look. Natural shoulders, somewhat old-fashioned lapels, single-breasted three-button closure, single-button cuffs, shallow single vent, single interior breast pocket, handwritten tags. Old and English-made. Probably 1930s, if not earlier. I bought it. I took it home and hung it on the corner of my fireplace mantel. I planned on leaving it there until I decided what to do with it. Sometime afterwards, I started getting the distinct impression that "it wasn't mine." I deal with vintage clothes all the time both in my personal wardrobe and my Etsy shop and have never encountered anything like it before or since. This feeling persisted until one evening, I couldn't get the image of it being worn (by someone other than me) out of my head. I was working at my desk which was in the same room as where the jacket was hanging when I finally called bullshit on it. I got up and put the jacket on. My wife was out of town for her work and I ended up falling asleep wearing it. I woke up the next morning again with the strong feeling that the jacket wasn't mine and that it was of particular personal value to somebody else. I redonated the damn thing.
Fin
:tinfoil:
I can't believe I forgot to mention this during the last haunted stuff derail. You all should read Christopher Moore's "A Dirty Job" (and all his books, which are hilarious). It's tangentially about vintage clothes, and a guy who is tasked with collecting "soul objects" -- the owner's most prized possession in life and into which his soul gets put when he dies -- on to the next intended owner. It's really funny and, strangely, what kind of got me back into clothing a couple of years back.

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Couple things....

Vintage Banana Republic Donegal Tweed Pub Coat. Thick Flip-up collar. - Tagged Large, measures like a 40R to 42R

Brooks Brothers Corduroy SC - 42S

Brooks Brothers Slubby Silk/Wool Blend 46L

VTG Harris Tweed - 40R

Southwick St Patty's Jacket - 40R - with Salzburg Buttons

NWT Brooks Brothers Blue and Brass - 48L - unfortunate minor scuff on the back near the shoulder blade.

Giant PRL Scarf

PRL Staple Gray Suit - 42R 35/29

Brooks Brothers (Italy) Navy Pin Suit - 44R 38/30

Brooks Brothers Gray Pin Suit - 40R 35/29

Banana Republic Jacket - Large

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i went thrifting again today, bought more watches. and some jeans.
nest.gif

A 1957-58 Seiko "Marvel" with patina'd face, and flawless glass. Reluctantly available.

and for the wife...

A 1960-64 "Queen Seiko" 23 jewels, original band. works perfectly.

jeans?

Studio D' Artisan selvedge jeans 30's not available and 32's Available but dibbed until further notice. got because Barrel said they are good.

and a vintage "Pierre Cardin" bag for a member on here....... jelly, i like this.
went home before i bought 3 pairs of Sugar canes, and some Iron hearts. all 30's.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads