1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

I think we should all buy one each for the impending nuclear world war. We could hide under them and emerge unscathed. It'd be like a personal nuke bunker!

1 person likes this.
  2. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    There ya go! Getting better! Keep on, keep on.

Sick haul! Sick fit! Awesome!!!

Canali pants are copable as long as they are flat front and up to date with style.

[​IMG]

HOLY SHIT! Uhhhh, old, peacocking Spoo?
    HOLY SHIT!!!! I can't fucking believe amongst all the blah blah blahs, peeps have totally missed this!!!!!!!!! 10000000% REAL!!!!!!!!!!

FUCKING AMAZEBALLZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. My Main Man

My Main Man Well-Known Member

RideTheCliche - I think it's been mentioned a bunch already, but when buying for yourself, fuck labels. A well-fitting coat from Target will look better than an ill-fitting Kiton or whatever.

As far as proxying for others, it's a nice gesture and it's appreciated, but it's also something that is very easily figured out, brands-wise, by reading this (and other) threads. You don't need to proxy for people if you're unsure of what you're buying. I'd assume that the majority of stuff you're unsure about is similar to stuff that everyone in here passes by every day without a second thought. For example, I went to 6 thrift stores today and passed up literally 20+ BB shirts, 40+ PRL shirts/pants, etc. (Though I did finally get a PRL charcoal 1/4 zip sweater I'd been looking for for a couple months. woop!) Like I said, it's a very nice gesture, but wait to proxy until you're certain it's something someone would want.

PS - I know that my post count is noob as fuck or whatever, but I've been thrifting for myself since I was 11 and my sister took me to a salvation army because I wanted Kurt Cobain clothes. Just recently did I realize that I could start making a meager profit around a hobby I've had for the last 20 years. I read this thread and a few others closely and very rarely post questions, because the answers are literally already here.

4 people like this.
  4. barrelntrigger

Holy shit! One of my homie just copped a pair of Engineered Garments Type 5 Jean Red Selvedge from a thrift store for me!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

Theze are sooooooooooooooooooooooo sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
    5 people like this.
  5. bboowwyy

bboowwyy Well-Known Member

Wow great find on the Dior! It looks very real to me. From Dior Homme winter 2005 season I believe (you can tell from reference number)

6. size 38R

size 38R Well-Known Member

Ok, I lost a bet with Barrelntrigger . So here is the payment.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Engineered Garments, dark indigo, look never washed. and minty fresh. :satisfied:

5 people like this.
  7. HansderHund

HansderHund Well-Known Member

I'm reposting this as a reminder to everyone. Let me know if you have any questions or need any help!

1 person likes this.
  8. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

Tiny win at the op shop today. I found my first pair of C&Js - a pair of tan Chepstows. They are in a right state in nearly every respect, but I thought they could be resuscitated, so I picked them up for bugger-all. They fit me fine, so I'll send them off to the factory and see what magic they can work with them. [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Disappointed at my op shop pickings, and to indulge my raging need to buy something, I went and bought a Brioni suit. That made me feel better.

2 people like this.
  9. barrelntrigger

Speaking of Dior, I was reading on their reference code while I came across this, "During the 1980s and 1990s Dior's menswear line was called Dior Monsieur. Brad Pitt, Mick Jagger, David Beckham, and Kanye West have all been spotted wearing the clothes – it is very popular amongst rockstars"

Hmmm, was I mistaken Dior Monsieur for the crappy CD licensed stuff in a few thrifts? Anybody has any experiences with it? I've always shied away from CD unless it's Dior Homme, which is pretty damn elusive.

10. size 38R

size 38R Well-Known Member

you should be able to tell good from bad. regardless of label. i wore a Dior Monsieur orphan for a long time when going out drinking, etc.
    loved it.

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus

RE WE ALL OVERLOOKING SARTORIA FUCKING CASTANGIA!?! Holy smokes.. and Versace couture silks?!? Thats a dream for me. AND that haul of ltd ed Zegnas and others? GREAT FEW DAYS FOLKS

But that castangia...

2 people like this.
  12. HansderHund

HansderHund Well-Known Member

Sorry I haven't posted in a couple of weeks, I've been busy with work and life. I've been following conversations and posts and there have been some great things posted. Well done all around. I've also noticed a number of new members posting, which is great. I put this together quickly to help get started.

Welcome! You probably have a few questions, so let’s look at the most popular:

Why is everyone here an asshole?
    What is this worth?
    Is this a thing?
    What are the best stores in my area?
    I’m just trying to improve my wardrobe and want simple answers!

Why is everyone here an asshole?

I don’t think anyone here is inherently an asshole. I’ve dealt with a number of people here and can honestly say that I don’t have problems with anyone. Some are a bit more abrasive than others. Some have opinions with which I disagree. Having said that, no one has yet to steal things, not return favors, etc.

This is the internet. This is also a place where people share a hobby and enjoy perfecting it. This is the perfect environment for people to develop strong opinions. It would be no different if you ventured into any other type of specialized forum and broke long-standing, albeit unwritten, rules.

What is this worth?

It’s worth what someone will pay you. That’s not sarcastic, that’s the truth. This thread isn’t about estimating the value of your finds. For starters, it depends on quite a few factors: age, style, condition, size, etc. It’s not easy to do considering all of the variables and people here generally don’t like to do it, especially for newer members. In order to employ the double standard, you'll often see long-standing members assign values to finds. Sometimes this is ignored, sometimes people are vocal about it.

If you’d like a general idea, use ebay completed search results and see how many are actually selling. Of those that sell, are they similar to yours? How about the sizing? Of that limited group, what’s the price range? $/€/£ 10-50? If that’s the case, assume your find is somewhere in the middle.

If you have more detailed questions about value and selling, take a look at this thread: Buying & Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems and Questions.

Is this a thing?

Before you ask this question, search the thread. If you’re logged in to StyleForum, there is a link at the top that says “search this thread.” Click it and a search box opens. Your search should reveal a number of results and you can see each post. It’s more than likely that in the 85,000+ posts within this thread, your “thing” has been discussed.

If you are saying to yourself “I don’t have time to look everything up!,” then why do you think anyone else should do that work for you? Is our time any less valuable than yours?

Beyond searching the thread directly, you have other options. Google images will help narrow things down, completed ebay searches will give you an idea of desirability. Once most of the common haunts have been exhausted, bring your question back to the thread.

What are the best stores in my area?

To many, if not most, this question is akin to asking what color underwear someone’s wife is wearing. It’s pretty much off-limits, even if most stores are readily accessible online. The exception to this, I’ve found, is that people are more than happy to help via PMs. I’ve visited a number of different areas and once I mentioned it, people with whom I’d never had contact were sending me messages offering their spots, best times, offering to meet, etc.

I’m just trying to improve my wardrobe and want simple answers!

Well, simple answers are often elusive. The best answer to this, again, is doing a bit of research. StyleForum is full of beginner material. Beyond that, there are any number of menswear blogs and tumblrs that offer visual ideas. In fact, there are threads that list these.

Your lifestyle, preferences, size, and budget are all unknowns. Without this information, any suggestions are just blind guesses.

Here are some general guidelines for CM:

1. Light blue shirts and grey trousers are safe.
    2. Avoid black suits. They aren’t staple.
    3. Make sure everything fits. Pants can be hemmed easily.
    4. A jacket with pinstripes should have pants 99% of the time.
    5. If you’re wearing a tie, you should probably wear a suit/odd jacket.
    6. Especially if you’re new to “dressing up,” don’t try to add anything that “pops” and don’t try to “set yourself apart.”
    7. If you have to dress up: grey/charcoal suit, light blue shirt, black shoes, navy tie. Make sure it all fits.

17 people like this.
  13. Digmenow

Digmenow Well-Known Member

That's a fairly awesome find! Please post back the results of your resuscitation efforts. I'd love to see what they do for you.
    Well done, Sir! You should sig a link to this post. :fonz:

1 person likes this.
  14. matty long legs

matty long legs Well-Known Member

Agreed. My jaw dropped when I saw that.

Also, sorry to my gift exchange partner. You're most likely getting a gift card. I can't find a damn thing that's your size or on your list.

15. catside

catside Well-Known Member

The use of word "bottomfeeders" from someone who ask a lot of questions and seems to get pretty decent answers and help, granted along with mild hazing, is pretty disturbing. Perhaps an apology is in order.. Fuego was man enough to do that in AE thread for just blowing his top off.

That Castangia is something, true that.

2 people like this.
  16. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Well-Known Member

PM incoming.

17. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

18. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

Uggghh, I'm trying really hard to stay out of this one, so instead,
    [​IMG]
    HOLY FUCKING SHIT BALLS FUCKING VICUNA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  19. jebarne

jebarne Well-Known Member

with the recent tone of the thread, I hesitate to post my meager finds, but I've never been accused of having good sense.

1st is my own personal favorite brand of tailored clothing....Adrian Jules. Beautiful handwork, fabric, and cut. No tag but a 39 or a 40R.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PRL Nordic-style sweater

[​IMG]

St. Michaels shetland wool, made in scotland. I would call this a fair isle pattern, but someone might not.

[​IMG]

RT Tie, only posted because its wool. Plus, could this be considered an "Ancient Madder" pattern?

[​IMG]

Orvis HT/ tweedy pattern sweater.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. dahl5yankees

dahl5yankees Well-Known Member

^^^ Nice Adrian Jules ^^^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.