1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pnutpug

pnutpug Well-Known Member

Thanks, but really not the same. It's the thrill of the hunt, or to paraphrase J. Houseman from those old Smith Barney commercials, "At Pnutpug's house, we find treasures the old-fashioned way--we earn them." I am spending a lot of time cruising used vinyl online and pulled the trigger on a purportedly pristine copy of Who's Next last night. My own is nearly worn out. The irony is, I got hurt on my way into the annual Goodwill employee appreciation dinner.

2. s_allen_p

s_allen_p Well-Known Member

Yeah. For whatever reason, that is the worst store.

Once a woman tried grabbing a NWT Mont Blanc briefcase I'd found right out of my hand. I reacted loudly. I still give her dirty looks, but I 'm sure she has no idea why. Different store though. The second worst.

1 person likes this.
  3. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

I can send a package to one of your neighbors and you could hobble the block searching for it.

1 person likes this.
  4. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

I hate flippers!

[​IMG]

Actually yesterday I had another flipper lady jump in front of me in the aisle, leafing through the racks 3 items ahead of me. She did the same thing in the next aisle and the one after that. Finally I just checked out and left. I don't need to find anything that bad. I flip 98.2% of the stuff I find, but I try to be considerate of others in the store. She left with nothing.

5. thefastlife

thefastlife Well-Known Member

Pretty disappointing trip. Grabbed this for a steep discount though

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

Anyone wants a proxy on the following items?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Life After Denim. XXL Prolly fits a bit smaller.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PRL 35x32. I usually don't bother with these but they gotz SIDE TABS and flat front!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Uniqlo selvedge S002, straight leg. 175cm so that's 5 foot 9. So I'm thinking it's around a size 32, 34. Holla!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  7. Jowen

Jowen Well-Known Member

I found this cool Duxbak belted hunting jacket tonight - I don't know much about it, but I recall that someone on the thread dug them. Can anyone tell me how old this is judging by the label? If it really strikes someone's fancy, I would be happy to trade. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. 1ofTheCoolKids

1ofTheCoolKids Well-Known Member

9. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Well-Known Member

There's a brash and rude c-word of a lady that haunts the Goodwill in Buckhead/Atlanta - the employees yell at you if you shop off the new racks coming out, so she will shadow the employees and has her hand on the hangar as soon as the employee lets go, and scurries around racks and bumps people out of the way to check everything out first. She's obnoxious, but ignorant - I browsed the items she checked and passed on - I recall a Barbour shirt being among what I grabbed in her wake.

I've been near people who get all excited when they find Tommy "Hilfinger" and go on about how much they could sell it for on eBay, so I pay no attention to the obvious flippers - it's the ones who flip thru 200 hangars in 2 minutes very quietly and draw no attention to themselves that I don't bother getting behind.

10. jcubzzz

jcubzzz Well-Known Member

Yeah I just saw that on a hermes catalog site. I'm pretty bummed out, I was hoping it was legit. Thanks for your input!

11. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

:slayer: Very cool find. Can you post a close-up of the buttons? Judging by the label and the graphic style, I'd guess late 20's-mid 30's. A real treasure. I'm not even going to ask what size, my coat closet is bursting at the seams.

12. ATLjon

ATLjon Well-Known Member

Is this the good Gieves and Hawkes label?

[​IMG]

Red hair? Yeah, that lady is everywhere.

13. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

Looks dope Ian. I'm still working on my formal rig but found a Brooks Brothers tux, BB opera pumps, and a nice set of formal studs/links recently. I regret now selling a BB bow/cummerbund I found last year :brick:

14. FENWAY

FENWAY Well-Known Member

Browsing the leather when I came across this Tyler Durden looking jacket....sure enough
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

YIp. Grats.

1 person likes this.
  16. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Well-Known Member

Looks pretty good, would be good to see the full fit though if you're looking for real criticism. The only thing that seems off is the shirt collar, which looks kinda unnaturally stuffed under the jacket lapels. Longer points would be better I think.

And re: all the insane flipper talk... I still remember striking up a conversation with another flipper, which ended up being an incredibly pleasant chat that carried on as we looked through the racks, exchanging stuff we thought the other person might like better. I guess that's just the Canadian experience.

Of course, we know some Toronto flippers are a bit more volatile.

17. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

I love hearing people make a big deal out of shite brands... Yesterday, while I was handling a Kiton shirt, I heard some dude going on about a Facconable shirt. To each his own, i suppose!

18. catside

catside Well-Known Member

I don't recall thrifting in Atlanta. Well, there was that one time in college..

:D

19. Jowen

Jowen Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info - so damn cool to find something potentially that old! Here is a pic of the buttons:
    [​IMG]
    And another of the coat:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. marc roberto

marc roberto Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.