1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

That was me, quoted from pnutpug.

2. evolutionofRW

evolutionofRW Well-Known Member

Sorry for the long post. This is a re-post from my blog but I wanted to also share here.

Those of you that follow my blog/know me outside of SF, know that I am also a watch collector and I am very passionate about watches. Most you also know that I run an eBay store as a side business, so I go thrifting at least 4-5 times a week. I have been looking to purchase a Vintage Omega for a while now. I am partial to piepan constellations and have been very close to purchasing one a few times. I was giving myself a budget of $1000 max to spend on it. Well, on thursday night, I stopped into one of my regular thrift spots and after browsing the store for about 20 mins and finding nothing, I decided to leave. On the way out I did my customary check of the jewelry cases which usually never yields anything good but to my surprise, I saw two beautiful vintage Omegas!! The way they were positioned I couldn’t see the price and I was a little nervous because this particular thrift store will sometimes jack the prices way up if they know they have something good. This store had a fake Cartier priced at $1599 one time. Anyways, I had someone come and open the case for me and to my absolute delight, the gold seamaster below was priced at $14.99 and the other was priced at $9.99. Now I was wondering if they were running. I shook the silver one and it immediately starting running. Score!! I wound the gold seamaster and that also started running. Score again!!! My heart was racing. I had the employee ring me up and I got out of there as fast as I could!! I was also very nervous that they weren’t real, but I figured for that price, they were worth the risk. They also had some hideous busted up bands on them which made the watches look bad, but I saw the potential.
    I get them home and I discover that the vintage Seamaster was made in the 50’s, 14K gold filled with a beautiful chocolate dial and also features the highly sought after “bumper movement”. These go for close to $1000 or more on eBay under the right circumstances! The silver watch is a vintage Omega Geneve and was made in the 70’s. That watch could probably fetch $300-$500 on eBay if I sold it. I also discovered that they both have the original crystals on them because I was able to find the small omega logo that was etched in.
    As as far as the condition, they both seem to be in great shape to me. The crystal on the silver watch is pretty scratched and the crystal on the gold watch is scratched but not as badly. Honestly, I love the way they both look and I really don’t think I’m going to do much as far as polishing them or replacing the crystals etc…These are vintage watches and I want them to look as such. After a trip to my watchmaker to get them cleaned and put some new bands on, I love the results! I also bought a NATO strap for the silver one. The best part is that they are both keeping great time! When the time comes I will service them as needed. These are staying in the collection!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
    13 people like this.
  3. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

4. pnutpug

pnutpug Well-Known Member

We've been through this before, but for what it's worth, I have twice in recent weeks spotted folks I know at GW shopping for clothes. One was a school teacher, the other a lawyer who works for the local prosecutor's office. Neither is anything close to indigent. This is a relatively recent phenomenon. I never used to see anyone I knew at thrift stores, nor did I ever see high school kids shopping. Now, I see high school kids nearly every time I go to GW. Frugal is in and has been, I think, since the recession hit. You might also want to point out to your GF that if GW and SA are really there to clothe the poor, they wouldn't be charging some of the outlandish prices we've seen on this thread.

5. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Well-Known Member

Take her to a Goodwill Outlet and show her all of the clothes that are flying off the shelves into the hands of the less fortunate. Once they've been bricked and dropped off in Africa because they sat on the racks for weeks here in the US.

Originally Posted by evolutionofRW [​IMG]

Quote:
    This is the stuff dreams are made of.

6. Oshuns919

Oshuns919 Well-Known Member

Vintage Gucci 18K gold leather strap watch (available)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

@evolutionofRW that warms my heart. I'm a collector of vintage Hamilton watches (although I wouldn't say no if I saw an Omega) and that is truly the kind of find that keeps me hitting at least two stores every day. Well done, man.

8. evolutionofRW

evolutionofRW Well-Known Member

Thanks Dan!! I love flipping things as much as the next guy, but there is no better feeling than finding something that you have genuinely wanted and were planning to buy and spend good money on. I'm so pumped!

1 person likes this.
  9. Lirum

Lirum Well-Known Member

Norman Hilton a thing? I left several SCs on racks because I didn't recognize the brand. Great jackets though, the ones I checked were fully canvassed.

10. IRKSM

IRKSM Well-Known Member

E-thrift
    Random made in Italy black suede slippers in my size for 25 fuck Stubbs
    [​IMG]

11. highvoltorb

highvoltorb Well-Known Member

Anyone else not get their Tellason crap shoot yet?

12. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Well-Known Member

So does Sartoria Napoletana just mean a any tailoring house in Naples or one in particular?

13. maro2280

maro2280 Well-Known Member

Nothing earth shattering, but a small selection of items I've thrifted for myself over the past month.

Ties: Zegna, BB, Ricci, Banana R, Nautica
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Suits: Bespoke (Summit Tailors--Carlos), Emporio Armani
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Jackets: BB sport coat (available), J & F blazer, Bill Bass Camelhair, Miltons houndstooth, Armani Collezioni orphan (from first thrift trip--got real excited when I saw the $1,995 sales tag in the pocket)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Pants: J Crew, Brax, Hugo Boss James Brown, Banana Republic--all NWT
    [​IMG]

Shirts: I've purchased a few, but the fits have not been great on the nice ones and I've had to resell locally. The profit has been decent.

General comment: As I only purchase for myself at this point, if anyone is flipping in northern or central NJ, I'm happy to pass along info on various finds I leave behind. For example,

[​IMG]

14. GM-H

GM-H Well-Known Member

I am still waiting on mine...

15. JL3212

JL3212 Well-Known Member

Still waiting on mine as well..

1 person likes this.
  16. TheWGP

TheWGP Well-Known Member

Just an interesting aside: I found this in the chest pocket of an electric blue striped 3-piece polyester wonder:

[​IMG]

:lol:

Had to bring it home (store was a bust) and show you guys.

9 people like this.
  17. JackFlash

JackFlash Well-Known Member

18. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

+1, I'm sure this "ebay head" works harder than that jackass does.

2 people like this.
  19. marc roberto

marc roberto Well-Known Member

Can anyone please id this[​IMG]
    Sorry not so clear.

20. Koala-T

Koala-T Well-Known Member

This is so awesome. I love it.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.