1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. concealed

concealed Well-Known Member

this page hurts my eyes

1 person likes this.
  2. caseyfud

caseyfud Well-Known Member

Does Isaia make all of the Paul Stuart Made in Italy stuff, or just the Stuart's Choice stuff?

3. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Well-Known Member

I'm in! And +1 on the fit pics. Picked up a nice tan Gloverall and a vintage Jantzen jacket, size 42 (available, and pic below). But then there was this... What I know about books is that I know enough to know that I should get more info. So I took a chance on this and after checking the internet I think my ship came in. Ian Fleming, James Bond, The Spy Who Loved Me, the kinkiest of the Bond novels. UK edition by Jonathan Cape, 1962. It's in nice crisp condition, probably only read once and then filed. One slight nick in the corner of the dust jacket. Everything in the store was 20% off so got it for $4. PLUS the original receipt was still in it. It cost $3.75 and was purchased 51 years ago a block away from where I found it. [​IMG] Vintage Jantzen jacket. [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  4. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

I used to sell a ton of books. That is an EXCELLENT find. Is it a first edition? Closest I came to that was a 1911 First Edition of Phantom of the Opera.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  5. jcubzzz

jcubzzz Well-Known Member

Found this Pendleton sport coat still with the tags on it. Made in Mexico unfortunately but still real nice. size 40, wool shell, and available.

[​IMG]
    Pit to Pit: 21 1/2"
    Sleeve: Just under 24"
    Shoulder: 19 1/4"
    Length: 30 1/2"

6. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

Excellent, how? Just for reference. Monetarily I mean.

7. FaceOfBoh

I don't know the right description but it is a first edition, no other reprints. All the tells match from some of the collecting sites so it's the one. I was going to ebay it but may also reach out to some dealers who specialize in Bond. Their wholesale price will probably beat what I can get on ebay.

There were a ton of JB paperbacks too, in mint condition, like uncracked. I'm going to see if they're any of the more collectable series (Pan, Signet) and see if I can assemble a series.

8. futuremyth

futuremyth Well-Known Member

I got a set of the Pan editions a decade or so ago from a flea market across from my old job. I'd hit it up every Friday at lunch & grab tons of old SF paperbacks for a dime a pop.

9. dahl5yankees

dahl5yankees Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Goodwill in Minnetonka, Minnesota is greedy and overpriced!!!

1 person likes this.
  10. FaceOfBoh

Cool!

One of the very first things I ever flipped was the Penguin centenary edition of the Bond series, in a nifty box with a sultry dame on it. Costco in Canada was selling them for $20. They were selling for at least $125 on the bay.

That's when I got first the disease!

1 person likes this.
  11. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

That store is ridiculous. Employees are paid to read men's magazines and brush up on all the brands. They know everything from Loro Piana to Isaia. Even catching onto the smaller obscure labels and they can tell quality. Most employees will treat you worse if you're a regular. :cloud:
    I would have actually be scared to buy that if I saw the blood stains.
    So I got a box of vintage stuff for consignment from another member on Tuesday. Mostly outer-wear and jackets. I don't have any room in my office closet so I set up my rolling clothes rack in the basement and hung them up on there. Right next to the rack on top of a stack of boxes is an old telephone (40's rotary) I picked up a number of years ago and have been meaning to get it re-wired so I can plug it into a modern phone jack. Well, my wife was in the kitchen which is directly above the spot in the basement where I had the phone and the rack of clothes. I was in the garage un-clogging the leaves my lawn vacuum and she comes out looking scared and with obvious concern in her voice. She asks me to come into the kitchen and then asks if I hear that. I listen and hear the distinct ringing of an old telephone right below us through the heat vent in the floor. It was very loud too. I grew up with a phone like this so I can tell this from say, clanking in the ducts or something. No, this was that phone. Not plugged in or anything. Can't even be plugged in with the old-style 4 prong jack anyway. Freaked me out. I was scared to go down there but I wanted to get photos and descriptions done TODAY. Finished and then folded them up, put them in a big box and brought them to my brother's house for storage until the auctions end and it's time to ship. :lookaround:

3 people like this.
  12. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Well-Known Member

Saw a used RG(didn't want to say used skeet blanket) shirt for $99 at a thrift today. I bought a Loro Piana cashmere blazer from the same place a while back for $3.

13. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

250-500 easy. Probably more

1 person likes this.
  14. FaceOfBoh

:uhoh:

Didn't you just move into a new house recently? Is it on an indian burial ground or something?

1 person likes this.
  15. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

We moved into our new place in May. Been perfectly fine with nothing out of the ordinary until yesterday, the day I hung the clothes up. :uhoh:

Got a really eerie feeling when I went down there to get them. Took the clothes (all vintage stuff. Very old post office uniform jacket, old hunting jackets and a college football jacket) to my brothers place a few hours ago. Went down there a little bit ago to get some packing materials and feels normal again.

1 person likes this.
  16. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

Nat didnt you have another paranormal incident not too long ago? 2 years ago?

1 person likes this.
  17. Larson McCord

Larson McCord Well-Known Member

It's weird, 90% of zanellas I find are piss stained! it's like the people buying them have issues and/or never wear underwear

18. Digmenow

Digmenow Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

19. hooker4186

hooker4186 Well-Known Member

Note to self: don't bid on any postman uniforms on the 'bay for the next little while.

2 people like this.
  20. Digmenow

Digmenow Well-Known Member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

4 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.