1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jebarne

jebarne Well-Known Member

OK. couple of things from yesterday.

Can I get some help identifying the shoes? Markings worn off but I picked them up anyway. ($3.50) the V Cleat made me think an older florsheim, and they are made in USA, which is about the only mark on the inside you can read.

[​IMG]

2. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Well-Known Member

Have you tried HERE?
    Lots of heel patterns to check.

3. GM-H

GM-H Well-Known Member

Came home from college for the weekend and decided to hit a local hole.... Nothing great, but you have no idea how nice it felt to be back in the game.

Old BB (N/A)
    [​IMG]

RLPL buttery soft cords(36) Note the stirrup
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hickey (42 and a nice slim cut)
    [​IMG]

Malo Cotton and silk (this is a good pick up, right?)
    [​IMG]

Malo thick cashmere T-neck
    [​IMG]

RLPL golf polo (large)
    [​IMG]

And some english Barrie LTD
    [​IMG]

Any ideas to the maker????
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Well-Known Member

I stared a long time and a field jacket like this on Friday. I think I screwed up.

Lots of other disappointment in a pair of damaged Alden loafers and Brooks Brothers made in England shoes that were also cracked. Bunch of damaged AE that didn't seem worth it. Only snagged a Bloomingdales cashmere sweater for myself.

5. highvoltorb

highvoltorb Well-Known Member

Here are those shoes I was teasing about.

Polo made by Chinese factory workers. Hardly worn and fills a gap in my wardrobe so I'm happy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bruno Magli Gray Suede. Bad pickup. Definitely women's. Didn't realize until I got home because they didn't look like it. For real though these would fit a 9.5 C perfect if someone here has a lot of self-confidence and doesn't mind showing a little bit of extra sock.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jil Sander Pebble Grain Split Toes
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grenson Tassels
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alfred Sargent Wingtips. Easily the nicest shoes I've ever found. They were at one of those hip buy/sell/ trade stores on Ohio State's campus marked $25 next to a pair of beat to death AE loafers for $45. Just a tad too big. I have a certain user here in mind for a trade. We'll see how it goes.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tiny stains on the right shoe.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pingle Scarf and my new favorite tie.
    [​IMG]

Really love this vintage Pendleton sweater for some reason. Might try and see if I can shrink it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the reverse side of that killer Jil Sander coat that 46n2 gave me a great deal on. I think I'm coming to realize that being 5'7" makes it hard to look good in a 3/4 length coat though [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  6. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

Nooooooo, say it ain't so!

7. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Well-Known Member

I was totally thinking "I should try and find that camo post" but phone reception was sketchy. It being an hour and a half away is all that's keeping me from going back to look.

8. ScottW

ScottW Well-Known Member

You guys are straight up murdering this thread in the face. I'm still drooling over that cashmere Hermes jacket from several pages ago, not to mention all the other hotness since then.

They had a working steamer, I bought a working steamer.
    [​IMG]
    1500 watts, made by Home Touch, price was right. I've been looking for one for months because our little handheld travel steamer is a borderline useless POS. My wife rolled her eyes when I brought this into the house. "What used junk did you bring home now? We already have a steamer." But I sure as hell didn't hear any complaints when she was using this bad boy to steam her suits for work every morning this week.

2x Robert Talbott Carmel
    [​IMG]

2x Hilditch & Key
    [​IMG]

Found another Pendleton wool shirt in my size, though this one is newer and made in Mexico. It's still decent but the wool doesn't quite have the same substance to it (not quite as stiff and scratchy) as the older USA made ones.
    [​IMG]

Some ties
    [​IMG]

BB 346, BB Makers, Facconable, HF, Nicky for Bergdorf Goodman
    [​IMG]

I'll go out on a limb here and assume "Nicky" is this guy:
    [​IMG]

A few more ties
    [​IMG]

Barney's (n/a), Costume National (n/a), BB Makers, BB 346, Paul Stuart, Fendi, Breuer for Wm Fox & Co, unknown maker elephant pattern for Wm Fox & Co
    [​IMG]

Couple handfuls of knit ties that aren't too noteworthy but for the fact that they were all found at one store and should work well in the fall.
    First three are wool from Guy Laroche Paris, one was made in W. Germany and the others also seem at least a couple decades old, minty though.
    [​IMG]

Looks like I've got brown knit ties smothered & covered like hash browns at a Waffle House. Couple wool, couple cotton, all for me.
    [​IMG]

Also picked up a few various scarves in alpaca, wool and/or cashmere that I neglected to photograph. Maybe later.

Austin Reed gray birdseye in Super 110s, 3 btn, dual vented, pockets still basted shut, looks barely worn (if ever) and will fit me with minor hem work.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I found several SCs in camel hair and tweed in the same store, possibly all from the same donor who was about my size.

Been looking for a standard tan camel hair coat in my size in good condition. BB Brooksgate, it'll do and just in time for cooler weather.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another camel hair SC, this time in POW with a red overcheck. Never heard of the maker (Barrister) but this thing is sweet and it fits me.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm finally finding some Harris Tweeds in my size with no moth holes! This one has some light blue and brown tones, 3roll2, maker is Beecroft & Bull from Virginia.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another Harris Tweed, this one mostly blue and light gray, 2 btn dual vented and made in England.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Group photo of my thrifted tweed wardrobe (tweedrobe?) plus the camel hairs.
    [​IMG]

This one doesn't fit me but was too cool to leave. Much deeper blue than I'm used to seeing in Harris Tweed, also has some green and purple in it. Unknown maker but the collar loop indicates made in Canada (says so in English and French). Available, tagged 40S and fits like it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hanover LB Sheppard Signature longwings, barely worn. Available, 8.5 C/A.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AE Grayson, available, 11.5 D.
    [​IMG]

These are my size, working on conditioning & shining them up. Can anyone tell me who made these for BB?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These look to have been resoled with Super Primes made in Italy, so I don't think the heels/soles are too useful for ID, but hopefully the numbers shown above should suffice.

Not clothing, but thrifted. Collection of Floris guest soaps (made in England; royal warrants) that I kopped for my grandma.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

Not sure if I made a good call here. The two Holland and Sherry fabric sport coats I picked up yesterday are huge - like, 52-54 XL US. I was out again today and saw another sport coat and the three suits shown below. What do you guys think, should I go back for them to flip, or have I already made a mistake picking up two sport coats in this size?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Well-Known Member

Good call is relative.
    I'm assuming they don't fit you. I picked up a TJ custom suit with H&S fabric a few weeks ago, custom size, and very big (56 at least). MTM is hard to flip, you have very little frame of reference, and you're guessing when you post a size. Easy pickings for a return.
    I just left 2 lesser known MTM's with H&S level fabric because I didn't want the hassle, and I was having a good day and felt I could skip the potential hassle.

11. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

I myself have had no troubles getting rid of larger sized clothing...that's all I'm gonna say in this thread.

12. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Well-Known Member

Cheaney

1 person likes this.
  13. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Well-Known Member

These things are coming out of the woodwork. I just listed the possibly-new 42 that I found on Friday.

14. Tweets

Tweets Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

15. matty long legs

matty long legs Well-Known Member

Nicky is Nicky Milano. I've found a few of their ties but haven't done that well with them. Beecroft & Bull is a great, local store. They used to be preppy/trad and even had a house brand but now they're very Italian. Lots of Isaia, Canali, Zegna, Luciano Barbera and even some Samuelsohn. I'm still waiting to find my first piece of Isaia in the wild.

1 person likes this.
  16. jebarne

Good suggestion. Thanks. I looked at all the photos and don't see anything quite the same. I'm using some cleaners to try to reveal more of the inside information.

17. jebarne

OK. Hopefully, won't bug you any more after this today. But can I get a reality check on these ties?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm a little iffy on both of the brioni's because they're made very differently,

18. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

^ All real. The bottom Brioni is more recent than the top. Not sure we've ever seen a fake Brioni tie in this thread. I'm sure they're out there, but you're more likely to find the real deal. Fake Zegnas pop up surprisingly often for me, and sometimes fake Hermes, but they've always been very obvious fakes. Weirdest fakes I've seen have been Dunhill.

19. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

+1

20. HansderHund

HansderHund Well-Known Member

Just catching up from the weekend and have to say it was a lot of fun reading all of that! Amazing finds by everyone.

@Ian: That overcoat is great! It doesn't have to have a great label attached to be deserving of a post!

For the record, I've only found one pair of Vass that I posted, I think, last spring. I'm not far from their manufacture, so I'm always on the lookout. I have found multiples of Ludwig Reiter, which I do like quite a bit.

Anyone here interested in a men's Lululemon zip-up hoodie? Size M, blue. I can't get measurements as I left it with someone in the US. It would be $10 + shipping from the US (I don't know, $5? $10?). PM me if you'd like it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.