• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiron

Reaction score

Honestly, I would advise to be VERY particular when it comes to tailoring thrifted clothing - meaning reserve the tailoring to pieces that you ABSOLUTELY must have and know you would wear on a fairly consistent basis. From the time I first started thrifting, I have probably tailored 10-15 shirts (waist) and 5-10 suits/SC's (waist again) that I wore maybe once and have since sold as they just collected dust in my closet. Lesson learned. I am now much more picky re: what I bring to my tailor.

Bottom line: I have found that 9 times out of 10 if a thrifted item requires tailoring - don't.

Last line +2

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I would advise to be VERY particular when it comes to tailoring thrifted clothing - meaning reserve the tailoring to pieces that you ABSOLUTELY must have and know you would wear on a fairly consistent basis. From the time I first started thrifting, I have probably tailored 10-15 shirts (waist) and 5-10 suits/SC's (waist again) that I wore maybe once and have since sold as they just collected dust in my closet. Lesson learned. I am now much more picky re: what I bring to my tailor.

Bottom line: I have found that 9 times out of 10 if a thrifted item requires tailoring - don't.

Wow, I think I might be going through the "honey moon" phase of the thrift career. But when it comes to SC with flashy fabric/pattern, I got to have it!!!!!!!

If you just mean taking in the sides and slimming the arms, I do it myself. Put it on inside out, pin it, whip it through the sewing machine twice on each seam (for strength, one a few mm outside the first), trim off the excess. Voila.. Works on polos too (so those of you passing on classic fit while seeking custom/fitted take note).

Woa, thanks, man. I might get a sewing machine just for that.

Not for a Varvatos shirt in my opinion.
Run a cost analysis on buying one on ebay with your measurements vs tailoring.

I never thought about doing this! Thanks, buddy!
fing02[1].gif

hucklecat

Reaction score
Whats going on here? Did this noob miss something?

<shivers> Got a chill on the first post I saw after being gone a few days. Busy taking pix of a few finds....hope I get some input from a great group. Still in learning mode here.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgot this morning's finds...

Burberrys hat and Brooks Brothers shirt.

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very recent, about as close to NWOT as I've ever seen, Fairfax 40L Corneliani for PRL. Peak lapels, jetted pockets (including ticket), slightly speckled tweed herringbone, 3 roll 2 started. Totally awesome. Totally not a 38
musicboohoo[1].gif
Available

Sh to Sh: 18.5/19
p2p: 22
sleeves: 26.5
length: 32.5

that is the most beautiful jacket I have ever seen.. and it is in my size
drool.gif
*faints* please please please give to me

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok fellas... Here is the scoop. I have decided to skip creating new ebay listings for this week, for two reasons.
1. I don't really feel like competing with the Superbowl
2. The lighter shipping load for that week will create a perfect window to get my ebay tax info in order.

So, I have some pics here, but no measurements yet. Approximate sizes I'm sure I will get at least a few PMs, so I will get you the deets as they come in. Sorry I am not as organized as usual this week, I have been spending a lot of time on ancestry.com tracking down my family history, after receiving my Great (x3) Grandfather's Shoe Shine Box for my birthday.

Here we go.....

Here is the VTG Women's Persian Wool / Fox Collar Coat from lunch today.

Now for some of my Birthday Haul from Saturday.

Aquascutum SC 42-44ish

Bright Blue Summerweight Mini Gun Check 44-46ish

Brooks Brothers Tweed 42ish

Brooks Brothers Harris Tweed 43R- tagged

Brooks Brothers Pebbled Tweed tagged 43R

Super Crazy VTG Pierre Cardin Boutique SC -WTF! - 38-40

Etro by Boglioli SC POW with Lime green overcheck - 42ish

VTG Green Plaid Summerweight - 44ish

Gun Check Tweed 46-48ish Long, maybe 50

Harris Tweed 42ish

Harris Tweed 42ish

Harris Tweed 42ish

Harris Tweed 42ish

Vintage Bespoke English Tweed (Haughton) with super lapels - 46-48L

Orvis Tweed 42R

J Press Tweed 44ish

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Gun Check Tweed 46-48ish Long, maybe 50
Dibs if 50L ish!

Learning from the masters to post the occasional haul for greater effect instead of an item here, an item there. Today's find is making that hard.

Last edited:

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyhow, has any of you gents ever gotten a thrifted shirt or two tailored? I just got one tailored. It was a John Varvatos staple grey/white stripes. The tailoring fees were more than what I paid for the shirt. lol You guys think it's worth it? If so, at what level?

+1... I pretty much pass on anything that I can't wear as is, unless it's a flipper.

The majority of my finds end up at the tailor. I don't have a single jacket or suit in rotation that hasn't had at least minor alterations. There are so many variables to get right.

Regarding shirts specifically: having shirts taken in at the sides and raising the arm holes runs me $20–$25, which I think is very reasonable for a quality shirt that cost $5. Sometimes I have sleeves shortened (especially if french cuff; for standard cuff I'll move the cuff buttons myself). If I want to wear a longer shirt untucked, I pay $10–$15 to have it shortened.

I haven't done it yet, but I plan to send a few Brioni shirts with puny collar points to this guy: http://www.collarreplacement.com. I'm going to ask him to model the replacement collars after a Borrelli.

Last edited:

hucklecat

Reaction score
Ok fellas... Here is the scoop. I have decided to skip creating new ebay listings for this week, for two reasons.
1. I don't really feel like competing with the Superbowl
2. The lighter shipping load for that week will create a perfect window to get my ebay tax info in order.

So, I have some pics here, but no measurements yet. Approximate sizes I'm sure I will get at least a few PMs, so I will get you the deets as they come in. Sorry I am not as organized as usual this week, I have been spending a lot of time on ancestry.com tracking down my family history, after receiving my Great (x3) Grandfather's Shoe Shine Box for my birthday.

Here we go.....

Here is the VTG Women's Persian Wool / Fox Collar Coat from lunch today.

I'm really digging this coat! PM me if there is a trade in order for something you may need.

DeadBoy

Reaction score
I'm just trying to help monitor the items here so I don't have to look through 50 old raggedy, stained shirts to see 1 or 2 true items of beauty.

besides, if I want the opinion of people who thrift, no point in starting a new thread when I can go to the source.

my posts have been sincere and genuine, but if you want to get an attitude... you don't see me complaining that all your "available" posts should really go in the classified section, do you?

this is a bragging thread, NOT a marketplace.

If you don't like the thread, you could always just up and **** off.

+10000000000 and remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
wink.gif

True, and he could always just up and **** off.

My APCs from 2006 have a button fly. I don't think they've ever "switched" from zipper to a button fly. Some models have a zipper, while others have a button.

Interesting. I much prefer a button fly on jeans anyway.

cool. this is opening my eyes a lot. starting to see you guys value the hunt itself just as much, if not more than, the actual clothes.

anyone can walk into bergdorfs and pick out an Armani suit, but not everyone can find one in their local thrift.

that being said, I suppose a vintage suit is kind of like a bespoke/mtm, because it will be more rare than a current season's offering off the rack.

Different people thrift for different reasons. Thrift for whatever reason you like. Or you could always just up and... never mind.

Last line +2

Nah. My favourite two suits are ones I had to get the sleeves let out on just a tad. They get plenty of wear (as much as a guy in his mid-20s who works in a casual environment can wear them, at least), and were totally worth it.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Quote: Dont worry, your shirt went out today
fistbump.gif
and I was just being sarcastic.

Quote:
peepwall[1].gif

Did find this today because I actually thrift.....
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Someone had to die as this thing is pretty recent and looks almost new (minus the lapel needing to be repressed, like it was stuffed in a closit or something)

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Motherf*cker, I just set a 240+ item, 10 day auction, to end on the Sunday of the Superbowl. I did the same thing last year. Damn I am marsupialed.
Wait...you still have a day to change it....why not set it to start next Thursday? Just do a bulk edit, and change them all at once.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads