1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATLjon

ATLjon Well-Known Member

I was actually rooting for you guys last night.

I "thrifted" my tickets to the game tonight, I guess.

My realtor called me up this morning and said she got some tickets from a client that were really good and asked if I wanted them. Well, she just dropped them off, and the tickets are much, much better than good. The season tickets belong to the former CEO of coke and are on the second row directly behind the Braves on-deck circle. I'm pretty psyched.

2. SeaJen

SeaJen Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also pocked up 2 LP sweaters, Brunello pants, a Willis & Geiger denim shirt, and the NWT chinolinos...good day.

3 people like this.
  3. pnutpug

pnutpug Well-Known Member

I thought of that after I posted. Solution: Instead of charcoal proper, make the suit a darker shade of grey so that the trousers can do double duty. Flannel wouldn't fly in warmer climes--much as you and I like it, I think that it falls into the second tier of acquisitions, kind of like pinstripe suits or striped shirts. The goal here is a barebones wardrobe for folks like Wes who have scant access to clothing.

4. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

PRPS is a sub line of Akademiks. I personally think they suck. Well, I personally think urban hiphop fashion wear all suck except for a few labels. I had a pair of Akademiks selvedge and they were horrible. Made in India. I'm thinking these are non-selvedge, right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PRPS-JE...0964-Regular-Straight-Leg-JEANS-/261291167752

You might get $100 for them if you get the right buyers because it's made in Japan. Oh, did I say I think these sucks? Sorry, but I think when it comes to denim, heritage workwear > fashion denim.

1 person likes this.
  5. catside

catside Well-Known Member

:rotflmao:

6. size 38R

size 38R Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You might have something good there, not seen the brand before, but there are just too many to list them all. Should flip easy if you won't wear them.

7. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

As a true barebones minimum, this will do. But my gray trou get so much wear, it'd put that suit into a premature grave.

Literally every time I go out, no matter how many I have, I look for a pair of quality light gray flat front trou in my size. One can never have too many, and they're pretty rare in good condition (because they've been worn to the bone).

8. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

Somewhat good distance outside of my normal territory.

"This is gonna sound weird, are you Wes from styleforum?"

Sloozberry must have recognized me by my blue nailhead suit.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
    5 people like this.
  9. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Well-Known Member

10. Jpmorris

Jpmorris Well-Known Member

Ok homies, I've been trying to do the school thing and the wommenz thing so i haven't been on here in a looong time (3.3k unread posts). I've got a decent DFW haul from the end of the summer to post sometime soon. However, I (or rather a good friend) need your help with ANY DECENT SUIT IN 38R. That should fit my boy just fine for his purposes OTR. He has a wedding to go to, and I don't have a damn thing smaller than 40. Hit me up please, again brand isn't important, but i'd like to get him something decently made and of recent-ish vintage.

11. catside

catside Well-Known Member

Thrift Fit :nest:

12. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Well-Known Member

I almost thrifted a Ferrari!
    [​IMG]
    I was gonna get it for you Spoo but it was pretty grimy/scratched up.

While I've mostly just been in the fetal positing in the corner of my apartment sucking my thumb/mumbling over the M6/lenses found, a few days before that was posted, I found this...
    [​IMG]
    A grail Pola-find for me. Been hunting for the 680 forever (and am still looking for one, keep your eyes peeled). Never would have thought I'd find a 690, especially in a thrift. She's a bit worse for wear/slack-jawed, but she seems to work just fine. Paid a bit more than I'd prefer in a thrift shop, but I talked em down from where it was priced due to the damage from being dropped/their lack of return policy. I was not about to pay these prices for one, so even at $20,
    [​IMG].

13. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Well-Known Member

I'd get them (especially if they're selvedge). I've always sold PRPS for over $100. Sometimes it takes awhile but worth waiting.

14. Jpmorris

Jpmorris Well-Known Member

That shit made my day. Wes, i've seen enough pics with you I think i might be able to ID you in person, esp with the talk of the blue nailhead haha.

15. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Well-Known Member

Right where I left them yesterday. Fit like the others, so they should be 10.5, GMMcL. I'll get back to you on the PMs shortly.
    [​IMG]

And top a couple of good days of shoes w/ some Church's Custom Grades
    [​IMG]

16. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Well-Known Member

I had to pick my car up this from an autobody shop at lunch hour so hit a nearby GW to get a photo for the scavenger hunt of a trumpet that I saw there last weekend. Alas, it was gone.

But I popped over to the next-door VV for a 5-minute walk-through, speed thrift and came out with a Belstaff cafe racer style leather jacket. The leather is soft and smooth like butter! Tagged XXL but they always run smaller and tighter. It may head to ebay but I'm wearing a corduroy BB shirt and with a not-too-heavy sweater it would actually fit me.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  17. size 38R

Fit pic![​IMG]

Yohji Yamamoto shirt
    Burberry tie
    Banana republic waistcoat
    Sugarcane jeans
    Timberland boots
    Louis vouitton bag
    Tiffany's ring

Al thrifted except the jeans and boots.

2 people like this.
  18. GM-H

GM-H Well-Known Member

Are you trying to dress like an R&B singer from 2001? If so, you did a great job.

2 people like this.
  19. size 38R

I might be...
    At least I' m wearing socks.
    I was wearing a chocolate brown/blue windowpane s/c but got too hot.

20. size 38R

Everybody post a cellphone fit pic, to see the contrast we have here. Don't change, what you are wearing now.

my style, -blue collar. And not pretending otherwise. I work in an environment that destroys suit pants in a day. (Machinery, factories, mud,etc) So denim it is, and I like it. I'm as cm as an industrious man can be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.