1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IRKSM

IRKSM Well-Known Member

this is one of the most flawed things I have ever read
    (I mean besides my own writing)

2 people like this.
  2. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Well-Known Member

Test scores vs. real-world. Two different things.

3. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Well-Known Member

Every other day for my dome, can't stand the chia pet look when it goes 2 or 3 days.

4. IRKSM

IRKSM Well-Known Member

pm or google if you are actually curious if not just block me or quit this stupid derail of my writing which very few people besides you seem to have a major problem with
    and I genuinely think you are a nice dude so can you lay off the fucking talking down

2 people like this.
  5. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

Not sure how many people "say" they will do it but how many people actually post...I'm going to try to get out, but work/traveling are killing me.

6. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

Damn dude, sorry. We just would like some punctuation for ease of reading.

7. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Well-Known Member

My wife said to me on Tuesday "Shoeluv you have to stop thrifting, the basement is overflowing and you aren't listing things like you promised." I replied, "Brianpore is out of town and I can't drop the new stuff off yet and I just haven't gotten around to listing the cheaper stuff. I will stop thrifting until I do." On my way to New Jersey today I stopped at a Goodwill and a fan favorite in Waterbury and dropped $200. I told myself I would only pick up nice stuff and leave the mediocre (Brooks Brother shirts, average pants and suits).

At the Goodwill I am checking out the pants and pass on a few pleated Zanellas and am feeling good. I find a pair of Mabitex, I think those are nice flannel pants I will grab those. I then hit the suits and find a J Press in staple gray that I pick up and a Canali orphan I searched for the pants to no avail so I left it. I then hit the shirts, I find a nice Turnbull Asser and a cute girl racks a half dozen shirts near me and smiles. I take that as a sign and walk over to them. First shirt is a linen Zenga, very nice... Next shirt is a red and white striped Charvet then his 3 Charvet brothers... Final shirt is a Barbour country shirt. I check the next shirt on the off chance it is good as well and it has a purple label! It winds up being a Miley Cirus branded shirt (involuntarily my ass started twerking).

I then hit the Waterbury store, first find was a pair of AE Bluchers. I then hit the ties, find a Charvet and a NWT Prada. I then hit the suits and find some store brand navy jacket but made with Loro Piana 100% Cashmere so I snagged it and I also grabbed a BB Navy jacket. I found a Oxxford Clothes Tux jacket with no pants but it was pretty beat up so I left it (feeling righteous). I then found a almost new Burberry trench in navy blue Novacheck size 52. I paid more for that than any other thrift item in my short career ($24.99 was the previous high for a Alexander McQueen suit) $29.99. I hit the shirts and found a Ascot Chang, Charvet, and EZ. I then ran out of the store before I could look for anything else! Curse you Brianpore, I could drop all of this off with you and my wife would be none the wiser if you weren't soaking up the sun in San Diego! [​IMG]

P.S. No pictures because I am not dragging that stuff up out of my trunk to my hotel room.
    P.S.S. Do I get the distinction of being the first to use "twerking" in this thread?

1 person likes this.
  8. JL3212

JL3212 Well-Known Member

Thanks Spoo! That's what I figured.

9. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

And tests themselves are weak. My middling standardized test scores were in no way reflective of my work ethic, college/beyond performance.
    Waterbury has always sucked for me. Go fig. Pics of the recent haul: Smalls: BBGF, BB makers, PRL, Rubinacci, Hermes x 3, Brioni. Brioni needs tiecrafters badly. Rubinacci is ALL MINE. [​IMG] Santoni wholecuts. 8.5, Hardly worn, but they will need toe taps (must have stepped on something) and there's a some damage at the back. [​IMG] HSM for me, as soon as I let the sleeves down [​IMG][​IMG] BB 1818 Madison suit, 43R [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Inco flat front mid-brown flannels. 38. Hardly worn but bastard former owner must have left his closet door wide open; Needs a good deal of reweaving. [​IMG] Paul Stuart by Sammy tweed [​IMG] UNBELIEVABLE Made in Italy BB 1818 Regent navy SC (note brown buttons and hopsack weave) [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    HUNTSMAN. Made in Italy by Cantarelli. But still 100% awesome. [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4 people like this.
  10. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Well-Known Member

Nice haul!

+1 on test score. Years ago I wrote the LSAT and scored completely average/middlin' (in spite of high marks in writing and reading comprehension).

Other advice from an older guy: many of my successes have come about by being second best. i.e. someone else was offered the job but turned it down or quit after a week or were hired away in short order...

11. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Well-Known Member

Re: Haircuts, I coaxed my GF to cut my hair once several years ago (I am an easy 5 on top and 3 on the sides buzz cut kind of guy). She now does a better job than my barber used to because she is OCD and cares how I leave the house. So...I guess I thrift haircuts...lol

Wes: glad Mia is doing better. Just lost my GF's dog roughly a month ago to cancer at only five. Neighbor next door just put their Schnauzer down yesterday after surgery revealed an inoperable tumor. Happy Mia is up and enjoying life!

Got her a new puppy (in an attempt to fill the void. backfired at first, but she loves him now). It was anything but thrift prices, but this dog is awesome, for a little dog.
    [​IMG]

Oh yeah, and found this sweet hanger the other day (no matching suit):
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

5 out of 100?! [​IMG][​IMG]

13. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Well-Known Member

+1

Average LSAT score here yet finished top 3% in law school, and neither statistics provide an indication of ability (#humblebrag). Also, just accepted a job on Tuesday because a friend took a job somewhere else and referred me. You and I are like twins (minus the older part).

14. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Well-Known Member

I have that exact same Sammie hanger...thick plastic I think you could club someone with. Wish I had more of them. The sad thing is I've come across very few thrifts that will part with hangers.

15. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Well-Known Member

#humblebrag?

:crackup:

:fistbump:

16. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

Also just playing.

17. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

:lurk:
    That sweater is really cool! Reminds me of L.L. Bean's Norwegian sweaters. The anorak is neat too - probably mid 90's judging by the colors.
    :wow:

18. SomethingsFishy

SomethingsFishy Well-Known Member

Sorry scavengers, this week has been one never-ending stream of chaos. I think I'm out for now.

Pretty sure I screwed this one up but

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Yeah, the sweater is cool, but I already have an LL Bean one. Maybe I should ditch that one and stick with the local one?

I can recall seeing those anoraks in the old Sierra Designs outlet store in Gilroy back in the day.

BTW, I found a resource for anyone looking at/for vintage outerwear:

http://www.pinterest.com/basecampvintage/vintage-outerwear-lables/

20. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Well-Known Member

Hahaha I've thought about doing that (at least back when I actually lined up at 4 am for those things). After a few failed attempts at finding the mythical $25 Suunto Core, I've given up for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.