• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

acosbysweater

Reaction score
T-B: Zegna Su Misura, Theory, BB Made in Italy

T-B: *** rag, Flippa K, Brioni FC, Billy Reid, Tim Hamilton, Tim Hamilton, Borrelli

T-B: Recent Zegna SC, +J linen/cotton blend SC, Cantarelli for Faconnable wool/cashmere SC, Burberry London glenplaid SC

Great finds. I would be all about the Tim Hamilton shirts and + J blazer if they become available!

vlassis

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Since everyone scoffed at my last bunch of ties posted I thought I would go out again and found DKNY, Beene, and Ellis but I believe what you are interested in is an ETRO. I read a lot about them on here. So what do you think of this one?

We have such a different market up here in Vancouver - why don't you guys tell me what brands you are looking for and I will keep an eye out in ties and jackets. Shops cannot even give this stuff away in such a laid back city. I shop every couple of days and there are 72 registered thrifts within driving distance. Ciao for now! Vlassis

DerHoggz

Reaction score
So how did I do?

Brooks Brothers fur-lined herringbone DB coat

Brooks Brothers green camelhair SC

2x Woolrich

Lyle and Scott , United Colors of Benneton 52, Lord and Taylor

2x Polo Golf , monogram of some sort (my initials actually)

3x Polo OCBD (blue, green,blue; bad pictures)

Brooks Brothers, 2x Brooks(is Brooks a diffusion brand or somesuch, or just different label?)

2x Faconnable

GM-H

Reaction score
Yeah, I honestly don't know how they'd respond to that, unless you are a legacy (which you might be). Even so, though, it seems a little presumptuous. In my interview (not there, but comparable) I didn't even wear a jacket or tie, but obviously putting effort into looking put-together, since I didn't want to give off the impression that I was try-hard or kiss-ass. Too many of those in the ivies as it is. Then again, maybe you have to wear jacket and tie where you go to school (?). But maybe you can later let us know how it went!
I'm not a legacy, but my older sister did go to Dartmouth. Also it was not a campus visit, (my meeting was with a student that had graduated and is now at Yale) so i decided to dress it up a bit. If it was a campus visit, I would have worn what everyone wears, Bean boots and Patagonia.

DerHoggz

Reaction score
Picked up this Ricci tie a while back as well, in all its 4" splendor:

Sorry for the bad pictures and mess, my room doubles as the dungeon while I am away at school, which I am currently packing for.

Reigningchamp

Reaction score
Will someone assist with these ties? Picked up today at thrift prices. Worth it? They are woven silk and are beautiful. (To me) lol made in Italy.

Last edited:

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are grenadine ties, garza fina weave. Nice finds. That label style appeared roughly from the 60s through the 80s. I've only come across one Brooks Brothers grenadine, also vintage. Pretty sure they haven't made them for a long time.

Last edited:

staxringold

Reaction score

Hello Everyone, Since everyone scoffed at my last bunch of ties posted I thought I would go out again and found DKNY, Beene, and Ellis but I believe what you are interested in is an ETRO. I read a lot about them on here. So what do you think of this one? We have such a different market up here in Vancouver - why don't you guys tell me what brands you are looking for and I will keep an eye out in ties and jackets. Shops cannot even give this stuff away in such a laid back city. I shop every couple of days and there are 72 registered thrifts within driving distance. Ciao for now! Vlassis
Very nice (and non crazy looking) for an euro. Ill gladly take it off your hand. :)

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

staxringold

Reaction score
Can I ask, what precisely is a grenadine? I've seen the term bandied about many times, and the HSM I found today had a texture like that, but I can't really tell

Those are grenadine ties. Nice finds. That label was used roughly from the 60s through the 80s.

DerHoggz

Reaction score
Those are grenadine ties, garza fina weave. Nice finds. That label style appeared roughly from the 60s through the 80s. I've only come across one Brooks Brothers grenadine, also vintage. Pretty sure they haven't made them for a long time.
I have a "Gap Premium" tie with a similar weave, I thought it was too fine for grenadine, know anything about it?

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It has been a slow week since I was on my death bed for half of it.....
Had a sore throat and minor congestion about 2 weeks ago, as typically happens with me, it drained into my lungs and irritated my asthma, creating a respiratory infection. I never call off work, but I couldn't get out of bed. Called the doctor, told them I had a R.I. They would not see me. WTF!... Instead they sent in a prescription,...for the ******* flu. I don't have the ******* flu. Took the meds (Tamiflu) anyway, thinking it might work. Turns out I am allergic to it. I don't have a visible rash, but it feels like I have the worlds worst sunburn...and I have had the world's worst sunburn before. Had to call the doctor again. They told me I am having an allergic reaction, and said to stop the meds, and apologized....still would not see me. WTF!! Must be the new health care kicking in.

Did get out today for a few minutes....
It's all self explanatory.
Going to sleep now in my brand new top of the line Sleep Number bed, fully purchased by thrift flipping
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
....first night.

Fresh sliced horn...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads