1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Thanks. I was distracted by the 10 pound weight of the thing.

2. Tweets

Tweets Well-Known Member

New converts today...I'm sitting at home because my wife says I can't go thrifting until some of the shoes in the basement disappear..anyways, get a call from my parents wanting to know where a couple thrifts were at so they could look for furniture for their antique booth. A couple hours later I get a text wanting to know where more are...3 hours later I get another text "Thanks! that went well"

I'll see tomorrow what treasures they found.

3. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I thought!

Nice! Love the art deco styling on the clasp.

4. PointDexter2014

PointDexter2014 Well-Known Member

Since original post I have polished these shoes using a motorized shoe buffer I purchased from GW. I post photos of the shoes later when time permits.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  5. hucklecat

hucklecat Well-Known Member

Stupid I know, but I really like this T shirt for bumming around. Took me a minute to get it...

[​IMG]

Got a pair of 7FAM jeans, good Ebay fodder

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NWT Laurens but pleated with cuffs (38 x 32)

[​IMG]

Super Mickey shirt NWT from 80's I think

[​IMG]

Aside from the Mickey T nothing for me.

6. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

7. Oshuns919

Oshuns919 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up!!!!!

8. Guitar Preacher

Guitar Preacher Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  9. bhermance

bhermance Member

Darn! I am larger than 40r. oh well. :)

10. Koala-T

Koala-T Well-Known Member

What do you call the weave on these Zegna pants. I know they are a twill, but it's different than a khaki twill. Maybe a heavy brushed twill? Anyway, I love them.

Quote:

11. klay49

klay49 Well-Known Member

Got it, thanks again. Once it comes back from the cleaners I will try it on with a tie and see where my gorge lies.

I usually never thrift shop, because Florida has next to nothing sartorially good to thrift. Today was the exception, by pure accident. A Zegna odd jacket, in a sage green with orange light check, fantastically smooth jacket:

I reside in Fla as well and find plenty of cool stuff. I mostly look for shirts, ties, suits and jackets. I've picked up a kiton jacket, borrelli jacket, Canali, hickey freeman, and burberry suits, shirts from brioni, zegna, sulka, barbera, tyrwhitt, bb etc.... and more ties than I will ever need (seriously, I keep buying ties and never have a reason to wear one)

12. Stewie

Stewie Well-Known Member

Exactly the reason...

13. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

So, I went to a bike swap meet for a good chunk of the day... Sold some stuff, picked up a triathlon race suit for myself, got a little sunburnt. All part of the fun... I also hit up five thrifts... Not much, but here's what I snagged. Older Orvis shirt for myself... Perhaps Nataku can provide a carbon dating? [​IMG] Pink shirt to feed the flipper in my soul. [​IMG] Hickey Freeman shirt (available and minty fresh) [​IMG] Newer Orvis shirt. Minty fresh for the flip. [​IMG] Prana short sleeve shirt for myself (unless someone really wants it) [​IMG] Also picked a Dorfman Pacific Straw hat (n/a) and a Hickey Freeman tie (available). [​IMG]

14. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Well-Known Member

Haven't been to Savers in months, today was good there. BB black 100% camelhair SC, J. Crew navy 100% cashmere SC, staple BB suit, BB Silk/wool/linen SC, then these, I think worthy of the thread.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    You know how sometimes you're flipping through the tie racks, and something a few rows down starts calling to you? You try and be patient and methodical and wait until you get to it, but you just can't. That's what that Duchamp did- these pics don't do it justice, it's woven like a Faberge tie I did pretty well with, only flatter and tighter, the thing is immaculate. The D&G is nice too.

15. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

Quickly dropped into another op shop today while I was out looking for some sporting memorabilia. Didn't do too badly to round off my weekend. Ferragamo tie, Mastai Feretti shirt, and a very nice leather car coat.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

If you like Duchamp ties, it's worth keeping your eye out for ties and squares by Penrose. That's the new company that Mitchell Jacobs started when he left Duchamp. From what I have seen, pretty nice.

17. txwoodworker

Thanks! I have absolutely ZERO luck finding squares. Same goes for cufflinks and stud sets, with the exception of one place, and I'm going to wait until I have a decent stash to post them here.

18. hbkshin

hbkshin Well-Known Member

Same in Dallas. I have a tough time finding accessories beside Ties. No cuff links, no squares, no scarves, etc.

19. txwoodworker

Austin is all aging hippies, tatted hipsters, and neckbeard techie millionaires in t-shirts and sweats, you should be KILLING in Dallas! I need to sell a kitchen in Dallas so I have an excuse to come up there. I'll let you know, we'll hit it together.

20. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

I think you've just won the thread for the day with that leather Corn!!! [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.