1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. s_allen_p

s_allen_p Well-Known Member

Sorry, nothing is available. I can't respond to requests for sizes or measurements.

2-3 weeks of finds.

I'm always looking to buy vintage peacoats, but until recently I've yet to find any old enough, or in good enough condition that I thought they were worthy of picking up. Two days, and two stores later...

1953 Peacoat - Excellent condition. Just a few loose buttons that need to be resewn on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

1962 Peacoat - Near Mint condition.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Tom James "Ventura" cashmere jacket - I know there's discussion on whether or not Oxxford makes for the higher Tom James lines. After going over this jacket, it has to be Oxxford. I first pulled it for the cashmere feel, and with no knowledge of what "Ventura" was, I bought it knowing it had to somehow be Oxxford made based on the buttons and buttonholes. I had a hunch it might be Tom James from that, and a quick google led me to the back and forth discussion on SF. I have yet to compare it to one of the Oxxfords in my closet, but it looks like it may have even more handwork that Oxxfords if anything.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chester Barrie cashmere jacket
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

EZ 15milmil15 jacket
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Thick as Thieves jacket - A few days after advising Evilabed against buying TaT, I pick one up that he passed on (not the one I advised him to pass on). I actually like them myself and have had two suits made through them, but wasn't sure of the resale value. I thought this was interesting (the 5 cuff buttons was an unfortunate choice) enough to be worth the gamble:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Arc'teryx Sidewinder AR
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NWOT Gant Rugger "Hiker" coat
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Loro Piana cashmere sweater
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ties - Paul Stuart linen / Brooks Brothers knit
    [​IMG]
    The nicest Polo ties I've come across
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  2. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Well-Known Member

LA highlights:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  3. Steve Kane

Steve Kane Well-Known Member

This jacket is so sick. So is that Swervedriver poster.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  4. s_allen_p

s_allen_p Well-Known Member

Thanks. I love it when someone knows who Swervedriver is."Mezcal Head" is my nomination for most under-appreciated album of the 90s. One of the all-time greats in my opinion.

2 people like this.
  5. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

That is freakin' awesome! And I thought I'd scored big with the Atom LT Hoody the other day...

6. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

Finally broke down and bought these at the local thrift after they started at $40 or 50 many months ago. Got them for $10 with shoe trees. A little research (quick google) came up with

"One way to tell the age of a French Shriner shoe is whether the full name is French Shriner & Urner or just French Shriner. The "Urner" was dropped I believe sometime in the 1950s after Samual Urner died." - from a styleforum member. (going to x-post in the shoe thread)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Stissius

Stissius Well-Known Member

Both those peacoats are sick. Maybe It's because I live in a desert, but I have yet to see a decent men's overcoat/heavy coat around here. Nice haul altogether.

I've been doing okay the last few weeks. Highlights: (no pics for now, heading back to school soon)

almost unworn AE sanfords in my size with perfectly fitting shoe trees
    Magnanni brown woven leather oxford 13M
    Ferragamo Studio black split toes 10.5D
    Dak's tweed hunting (maybe not the right term) jacket
    RRL wool trousers that actually fit me, unfortunately they're odd pinstripe w/ some small holes--I'll see how they do
    Faconnable tie made in france--anyone know who makes for them?
    A pair of Hugo Boss suits

8. GM-H

GM-H Well-Known Member

Well guys,

Went on my last thrifting trip before I head off to my first semester at college. I just wanted to say a HUGE thank you to all of you guys. Every single person on this forum has been so helpful and nice over the past year. I really appreciate all the knowledge I gained from you guys and all the help. Im pretty sure half of the forum thought I was a troll when I started posting, pulling 15 Brioni blazers in one trip, asking if Zilli was a good pick up.....someone actually accused me of just taking pics in a Neiman Marcus. By reading the forum, I was able to start selling on eBay and ended up making enough to cover my portion of my first semesters tuition, and I could not have done this with out you guys!! THANK YOU!!!

I won't really be able to thrift anymore due to a lack of transportation and time, so I won't really be posting at all. Ill maybe post a few thrift fits, but thats about it. if anyone knows any honey holes in Burlington VT, let me know!!!!!!

Left coast T
    [​IMG]

Paraboot Made in France
    [​IMG]

Liberty of London made in Italy
    [​IMG]

Charvet
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  9. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

s_allen_p I've got the same microdot Polo tie and its one of my favorites. Nice pickup.

10. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

Boom! Shit just got real gangster in this piece. I feel like I've struck the mother-load of menswear gold in the women's section lately, which is where I found this beast. Yes, it's my size and I'm sure as shit going to rock the hell out of it very shortly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]:slayer:
    Also found my first ever Brioni anything in my size, though it's ancient and looks to have been balled up in a bag for the last 30 years. Also, the tag reminds me of Tron for some reason, which I'm sure is probably not a good thing. But here's the kicker, it's fucking DUAL VENTED!!!!! I've come across a number of old Brioni blazers and they've all been un-vented.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A sweet triple patch pocket blazer for my wife. FYI, women in tradly menswear is sexy as fuck. :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And here is the Max Mara suit I picked up for my wife. It's hard to tell from the photos, but literally every seam is done by hand. Unbelievable!!!!!! I did a little research and their shit is crazy expensive. Basic blazers go for right around $1K.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  11. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

Also, GM-H, good luck at school, I still remember that Brioni haul....... :censored:

edit: and Ian too, and me, and anyone else who is going be starting again. :fonz:

1 person likes this.
  12. Friskydingo

Friskydingo Well-Known Member

Easy, that jacket is awesome. I would admittedly wear that if I was still living in the NW.

13. MZhammer

MZhammer Well-Known Member

Just one decent find today. In time for fall, N/A

Unicorns
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Well-Known Member

I always thought they were a pretty solid band.

15. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Well-Known Member

Is this YSL suit as least somewhat flippable? Any translators for the tag?

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. tonylamer

tonylamer Well-Known Member

The suit in, I think, the same fabric: Samuelsohn, 44R, side vents, FF pants:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Well-Known Member

I'd love to hear thoughts on this. I found something similar (a different designer, not too high end, can't remember what though) but it had tags in Korean. I figured it was for the Asian market and would be hard to flip.

18. hucklecat

hucklecat Well-Known Member

Huck likes this
    [​IMG]

19. pnutpug

pnutpug Well-Known Member

Fuck vicuna.

20. SomethingsFishy

SomethingsFishy Well-Known Member

I've never done a proper shining with shells, but I've certainly used lexol to great effect. Irrespective of the condition they arrive in, they're gonna get carpet bombed with lexol when they get through the door, then put on a little wax and go! (Unless of course they're dried out, in which case I'll just do INAD, I'd have grounds)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.