1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hbkshin

hbkshin Well-Known Member

Confirmed.

2. HansderHund

HansderHund Well-Known Member

Agreed. I read that post early in the morning and was shocked when it was unspoilered. Then I kept reading thinking there would be an endless stream of GIFs. I suppose I should have said something as well. :embar:

3. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

+10000000000 to all the homies that offered advise on my upcoming NY trip as well, you guys are the best!!!!
    +10000000000000000000000000000000000 on that Vicuna, I can't believe I missed that the first time around. :facepalm:
    Also, I picked up a very recent Max Mara made in Italy suit today for my wife.......... completely blown away! The thing is 100% handmade, blows all my shit out of the water. I'm actually a little envious. :embar:
    And Hans, I found a jacket today that might give your beaver fur collar coat a run for it's money. Pics later, I'm off to a job interview, trying to get my foot in the door of the menswear industry. :slayer:

2 people like this.
  4. matty long legs

matty long legs Well-Known Member

It was the least I can do. I'm glad the loafers fit. I wish I had more stuff in my closet that was your size.

5. HansderHund

HansderHund Well-Known Member

:box: Can't wait to see it! If it's your size, I should make a venture out that way during the winter so we can stroll around...Boardwalk Empire style.

Good luck on the interview!

6. Jpmorris

Jpmorris Well-Known Member

Disregard my last post, apparently people came around and gave homie his due props on the dope ass vicuna overcoat.

Ok, this is something I've been wondering about... NWOB/NOS/deadstock Florsheims, i've run across both pair, and each time I think they wanted like $30, neither were shell. What do these normally bring in? I know someone one here mentioned that they were surprisingly valuable at one point, but couldn't find any comps on eBay last time I checked.

7. shirtsnmor

shirtsnmor Well-Known Member

Your telling my story. When I started thrifting (for flipping mainly), I would constantly get high off my own supply and bring stuff upstairs. I remember seeing a Christian Dior Monsieur suit for the first time in the GW and I must have looked like this when I grabbed it:

[​IMG]

I recently cleaned out my closet and it was filled with PRL polos, Lacoste polos, CD Monsieur, etc. My brand recognition game has definitely been upgraded.

Sweet Ferragamo's BTW. That's a great story.

1 person likes this.
  8. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Well-Known Member

Either here or AAAC Trad forum you should easily double your money, or they make great trade bait.

9. MZhammer

MZhammer Well-Known Member

[​IMG] might need to pick your brain Eazye

10. pnutpug

pnutpug Well-Known Member

Should be able to more than double if they are a common size and come with v cleats

11. Tweets

Tweets Well-Known Member

Good, made in the USA Florsheims do well, especially V-Cleat ($200+NOS)...some of the newer USA stuff with the rubber heels will still do pretty well.

12. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

I sold a pair (bought for $6) for $160 last summer.

Of course, they were size 7 and went to some dude in Japan, so ymmv.

13. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Well-Known Member

If you remember that pair I had on AAAC took awhile to move. You were a great cheerleader in telling people to buy them and they were a steal. :slayer:

14. Steve Kane

Steve Kane Well-Known Member

I ran into a store yesterday and grabbed these J&M Aristocrafts thinking they were shells, but upon getting them home I am unsure. They have the ripple in the vamp and some of the bumps that shells get, but something about the leather/color doesn't seem as rich as other shells I've thrifted. Also, the top edge and some of the eyelets are cracking. Does corrected grain leather ever ripple instead of micro crease? Can anyone offer some insight?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

16. Jpmorris

E-thrift
    [​IMG]
    Yeah, I don't care if you don't like gator, you know these are FRESSSSSSSH. Have to have been worn fewer than 10x, he accepted my offer of 120, these retail for well over 1K. Per my suspicions the primary skin is a center gator belly, confirmed by Spoo (but i guess that guy can't even authenticate a BB tie, so they're prob not even real skins [​IMG]).
    Other e-thrift was RLPL LS Linen shirt for 18.99 shipped, (not posting a link because i want to ride this seller for all his stupid ass is worth, and ill share eventually).

17. Jpmorris

Lemme alone brian! Haha, last time I checked I swear I couldn't find a NOS pair... That was well over a month ago, on my phone.... I guess I should've picked up both pair I saw (i had an idea that I should, but im not typically a 30+ pair of shoes to flip type guy.

18. Tweets

Tweets Well-Known Member

2 of those that show up in Brian's Ebay search are mine (Pebblegrain 10D's Brown & Black), paid $20 each for those and it took about a month to move them for $217.50/pair...I'm guessing if I would have offered Intl shipping back then, I could have moved them faster. Anyways, anything vintage, NOS from 60's & 70's in a dress shoe with leather sole is worth a gamble to me, even at $30.

19. div25sec9

div25sec9 Well-Known Member

nice shoes; they look unworn! What brand are they?

20. OliT

OliT Well-Known Member

Shoutout to Cesarc for the awesome trade. Hope the briefcase works well!

On another note: Me and the girlfriend are in New York for a week more and were planning to look around a little on Saturday. We didn't have much luck in Virginia when we tried there, so I thought I'd ask for some recommendations. We're thinking of heading to LI (picking up car in Hicksville). Anyone? I'll gladly offer proxy help or thrifting tips in Sweden in return.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.