1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JHT652

JHT652 Well-Known Member

Couple of bits I found from Turnbull & Asser . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tweets

Tweets Well-Known Member

Quick Question--Looking at buying a large lot of Vintage shoes (looks to be 60s-early 80's) still NIB, is there anything I should be worried about as far as the leather? Am I going to run into problems with the leather cracking do to age?

Thanks

3. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

Always a possibility of dry rot, depending on how and where they were kept all these years. Usually, you will be fine....but there is always a chance.

4. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

Yup, I found a pair of what looked to be in perfect condition, USA made New Balance from the early 80's. A couple wears in and the sole completely cracked off the upper part of the shoe. :fu:

5. concealed

concealed Well-Known Member

Black Aldens, uppers in 7/10 and each sole with a quarter sized hole. What's your price cutoff? These were $12.99 and I left them. If they were brown, I would have taken them...

6. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

Holes in the soles are usually deal-breakers for me, but people seem to go crazy for Alden's, so you never know.

7. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

I had the same thing happen with some shell longwings. Middle of the day at work, and the uppers completely ripped right above the sole. No indication (to my untrained eye) that there was a problem prior to wearing.

8. capnwes

My cobbler (shoe guy, not the dessert) charges $35 for a resole and new heels. Depending on the shoe, it is sometimes worth it. I probably would have gone for it if a little TLC could make the uppers look like a 9/10

9. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Well-Known Member

Bar exam done. Hoping for the best. Thrifting and job hunting? YES! Hi, world. I have missed you.

5 people like this.
  10. hooker4186

hooker4186 Well-Known Member

What was the model? I have plumbed the depths of Alden fever and in my experience this was probably a good leave if they weren't boots or longwings.

11. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Well-Known Member

Check the head tube to make sure it hasn't ovalized - everything should be fairly tight but if the headset is loose in there it's ovalized and nothing can fix that.

Grab the cranks and sort of tug them side to side. If they're a bit loose it might just need some tightening but there's a good chance you'll need to replace the bottom bracket.

If it has gears run change through the full cassette and back in your largest and smallest front chain rings to make sure the derailleurs are correctly set.

12. LetsGetWeird

LetsGetWeird Well-Known Member

Hey all,

Newbie here. Been following for a few months, but not posting as I'm mostly flipping (beer fund, college kid) and I don't want to offend anybody.

However, working on my displays/pics/layout, and need some help identifying this thread pattern/design. Is there a certain word to describe it? Came on a Su Misura double vented blazer.

Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

13. capnwes

Hopsack

14. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

Hard to tell, multiple colored, flecked, hopsack? edit:Wes beat me to it.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  15. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

16. JackFlash

JackFlash Well-Known Member

Was looking at that blazer this morning; really awesome, exactly what I am looking for, and the measurements are perfect except for the super short arms [​IMG]. If you made a mistake measuring the sleeves and they are anywhere near 25 in let me know.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  17. LetsGetWeird

LetsGetWeird Well-Known Member

Yeah really funky arms. I'm the same size and would have kept for myself but sadly...they are actually that short.

18. edwardthefirst

edwardthefirst Well-Known Member

You guys have been killing it lately!
    A few things from yesterday:
    First off, kind of synergy with Cotton Dockers, as I also found a Norfolk Coat. Mine isn't G&H (I so wish), but still:
    [​IMG]
    Sorry for crappy pics. Heavy tweed, fleece lined, glory. Fits like a glove. Speaking of gloves, I need to get some brown leather ones to wear with this bad boy. Any suggestions as to where I should get them?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next up, two ties: NWT Charles Tyrwhitt (flipping), and an Ike Behar thick navy blue and silver seven-fold for me or to trade if anyone really likes it. I have more pics of it.
    [​IMG]

A pocket square.
    [​IMG]

Brooks Brothers vintage plaid blazer, 100% Camel hair and soft as butter! Fits me pretty well, so probably N/A. 40R, 3-roll-2.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cool french cuff with cutaway collar for me.
    [​IMG]

And lastly, a rare beast: Prada blazer. Not impressed with the quality AT ALL, but I am happy with the brand name. Flipping right now, I'm curious to see how it will sell just because it's Prada. 48% Cotton, 52% Rayon. Ick. Still a cool find (my first Prada).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Keep up the good work gents!

19. ATLjon

ATLjon Well-Known Member

Nothing crazy, but here's today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I picked this up last week:

Paul Smith London suit, 42 L.

[​IMG]

20. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

TL that paul smith patch pocket SC is a single button closer?
    If so, thats awesome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.