• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drakes question - found this Holland & Holland tie:

With this tag on the back:

No initials on the content tag - is this by Drakes, or do other makers use that "Made in England" tag?

Also, what the hell is the design?

And a Chanukah mini-Thrift Fit:

Peregrine Cable-Knit Sweater
BB OCBD
Rooster Ancient Madder

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Today (pics to come):
Isaia for Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece navy pinstripe suit
Isaia for Paul Stuart Stuart's Choice gray striped suit
Corneliani for Polo Ralph Lauren navy striped suit
Corneliani for Polo Ralph Lauren dark gray glen plaid suit
Corneliani for Polo Ralph Lauren light gray glen plaid suit
Corneliani for Polo Ralph Lauren navy solid suit
Cantarelli for Faconnable gray striped suit
Cantarelli for Faconnable windowpane suit
Ermenegildo Zegna gray striped suit
Ermenegildo Zegna navy striped suit
Ermenegildo Zegna navy striped suit
Ermenegildo Zegna cashmere SC
Pal Zileri tan suit
Samuelsohn for Ben Silver herringbone donegal tweed polo coat
Ralph Lauren Purple Label gray flannel trousers
Brooks Brothers Black Fleece tie NWT
Passes:
Corneliani for Polo Ralph Lauren orphan x 2
Cantarelli for Faconnable orphan x 2
Ermenegildo Zegna orphan x 2
All look relatively recent (2000s) and in are great shape. Everything is 46 L and probably going to my dad for Christmas.

Damn your dad being my size. If I found a haul like that and t was my size....I'd calmly pay for them...walk to the car...then pull one off.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
MINTY vintage Zegna tux 40short (small 40...would almost work for Brian except pants are pleated
ffffuuuu.gif
)
IMG_2001.jpg

IMG_2002.jpg

IMG_2003.jpg

and finally...
Minty NES
IMG_2004.jpg

...with two controllers still in plastic!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

IMG_2005.jpg
I'll take pleated pants on a tux no problem!!! but think it's still going to be WAY too big. Need 17" shoulders ideally and BOC length of around 28.5.

STILL ON THE TUX HUNT - 1 Button Peak Lapel if anyone finds a small one hit me up!!
worship.gif

Ahhh the memories of the NES. Was not a major video game kid but damn I did hit that machine hardcore on a rainy day.

I particularly remember Contra and Super C, ******* ************* games too damn hard. Possibly the worst game in the world was Ninja Gaiden, that game made me break one of my controllers
lol8[1].gif

I saw a boxed up Sega Genesis set the other day - it also had a cd attachment in separate box. Was tempted to buy but I believe that system sold so much I doubt there would be any value. I do not see myself keeping and hooking up to a TV.
"Sega CD"....I had one of those...it sucked.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Picked up a recent 2 button, side vent, flat front charcoal Canali suit in 46L. Will probably put it up on the bay for a quick flip.

A word to all the newbies here (not to call you out specifically Los Face)...there are a bunch of guys on here in that size range that would take that kind of stuff off your hand without having to deal with eBay. I always check the smaller sizes to have stuff to trade.

That said...Pendleton whores...I will be posting some pictures tonight. I will tease with a medium black watch shirt, and a 40R wool coat with the fuzzy collar.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Posted a crappy cell phone pic of this jacket the other day, decided on keeping after realizing how much I like it - looks like a chocolate and black houndstooth to me:

Dolfan954

Reaction score
Ok, for future reference I am at page 3742.
A) I hate you all, no thrifting for me in awhile
B) SOMEONE PLEASE HOOK YOUR BOY UP WITH A TERRIBLE CHRISTMAS SWEATER PRONTO! I can't make it out right now, but need one badly. The more terrible the better, it could be the difference between me getting laid and not, so keeping that in mind help a brotha out!
C) Im only up at this hour because of future interests.
D) to sort of revive the money in the SC debate. The property would be mislain/misplaced as the owner obviously put it there intentionally and forgot about it. In general, this type of property goes to the store owner, or to GW headquarters or something in this particular instance. It isn't lost because it was intentionally placed, if it were lost it would be the finders. Case closed. As im currently studying for property and the fact that it was mislain is clear. Another lawyer/student may be able to cite the case, but some asshole found like 40 at the barbershop and the shop owner got it after a reasonable search for the true owner.

Law School tip so I will spoiler:

Can I give you a quick tip?

Always answer
1. What the law is
2. Why that law is applicable here
3. What side A would argue to win
4. What side B would argue to win
5. What the court would probably do (You get super extra brownie points if you can cite the case and compare and contrast what the court did in that case and how this fact pattern is different. Be careful to fall into the trap of "this is obviously mislaid" and answer on the exam one sided. That only gets you half of the points.)

The exam is written to be gray to make you apply what you have learned and show that you can argue from either side.

In this fact pattern, the issue is not whether the money was misplaced. We know the owner didn't mean to abandon money. The issue is once that money is misplaced, and the owner does an overt act of giving the jacket away, is it still misplaced?

Towers

Reaction score

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a bunch of 30% coupons for Value Village (which I think is like Savers in the USA) so most of the family headed out last night to see what we could find.

Really nice, well-constructed Holt Renfrew house brand shirt, Made in Italy. (Holts is like - I think - Saks Fifth Avenue). Not available.
Would any of you Canadians hazard a guess on who does their private label stuff?

Getting ready for summer, a PRL Made in USA linen SC. My size so not available.

Lanvin tie with a cool feline motif. Not available.

No name workshirt but will go great with some denim and other SWD pieces I'm gathering. Great pearlized snap buttons.
I always think of these as janitor shirts because when I was in grade school this is the uniform the custodian wore.

Now on to some family purchases.

My wife got this Clive Barker book to round out her hardcover collection. It was only when she got it home that she noticed it was an autographed edition. :slayer:

These next ones are in the category of I LIVED THROUGH THE 80s, WHY WOULD I WANT TO REVISIT THEM.
These are purchases by my 15-year-old daughter. Most of forum members are probably closer in age to her than to me, so maybe you can explain the appeal. This is what the kids seem to like now.
And neither of them are probably Nataku worthy.
Full on snowsuit, for winter activities rather than for wearing around town.

Windbreaker thingy.

Last edited:

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hi all. I've been on hiatus for several weeks now (only way I can get my current project finished is to pretend the thrift thread doesn't even exist :embar: ). When confronted with a need, however, I come slinking back.

I took a bit of a spill on my bike (bicycle, not motorcycle) last weekend, and it looks like I'm going to be on crutches for quite a while, and probably use a cane for a while after that. Very deeply bruised hip - can't put any weight on it to speak of. For crutches I'm content to go with functional ugly (every choice I've made for the last week or so has been totally functional, screw style), but once I move to a cane, I'd like to try to move away from tubular metal. I can probably get something half way decent locally if it comes to that, but if any of you see a really sharp cane at thrifting prices, please think of me. Probably not the kind of thing we'd normally pick up, but maybe someone will see a nice one. I'm definitely off the thrifting circuit for a little while.

As for measurement, it would need to be at least 35" and a 36 might be better. Afterall, if it is a little long, I can cut off the end. Can't do anything for a piece of wood that's too short. Since it isn't just an affectation, it would need to be sturdy. If you put your weight on it and are a little scared, it probably isn't a good candidate - leave it for next years Halloween rush!

Keep up the good work guys (and please PM me if you find anything, I probably will need to go back off reading cause this chapter isn't going to revise itself)!

EDIT: Oh, yeah, I know the rule is pics or it didn't happen, but I'm not posting pics of my tri-color bare butt, hip, and way too far around to the front on the internet. :D

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hi all. I've been on hiatus for several weeks now (only way I can get my current project finished is to pretend the thrift thread doesn't even exist
shog[1].gif
). When confronted with a need, however, I come slinking back.
I took a bit of a spill on my bike (bicycle, not motorcycle) last weekend, and it looks like I'm going to be on crutches for quite a while, and probably use a cane for a while after that. Very deeply bruised hip - can't put any weight on it to speak of. For crutches I'm content to go with functional ugly (every choice I've made for the last week or so has been totally functional, screw style), but once I move to a cane, I'd like to try to move away from tubular metal. I can probably get something half way decent locally if it comes to that, but if any of you see a really sharp cane at thrifting prices, please think of me. Probably not the kind of thing we'd normally pick up, but maybe someone will see a nice one. I'm definitely off the thrifting circuit for a little while.
As for measurement, it would need to be at least 35" and a 36 might be better. Afterall, if it is a little long, I can cut off the end. Can't do anything for a piece of wood that's too short. Since it isn't just an affectation, it would need to be sturdy. If you put your weight on it and are a little scared, it probably isn't a good candidate - leave it for next years Halloween rush!
Keep up the good work guys (and please PM me if you find anything, I probably will need to go back off reading cause this chapter isn't going to revise itself)!
EDIT: Oh, yeah, I know the rule is pics or it didn't happen, but I'm not posting pics of my tri-color bare butt, hip, and way too far around to the front on the internet.
biggrin.gif
Man, I hope you heal quickly!

If I can make a recommendation. Try to get this style crutches...your arm pits will thank you. I had foot surgery a couple years back and someone loaned me a set. Best thing ever.
Forearm%20Crutches.jpg

Last edited:

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Drakes question - found this Holland & Holland tie...with this tag on the back:

No initials on the content tag - is this by Drakes, or do other makers use that "Made in England" tag?

I posted a Burberry tie with the same "Hand Made in England" tag here several months ago. Also didn't have the "MD" initials on the contents tag. Thread verdict was that, since the contents tag wasn't in the familiar style, it wasn't a Drakes. Later, though, I saw some posts from AlanC confirming that Drakes had some some manufacturing for Burberry, so I still have suspicions.

Point being, perhaps Drakes has done some ties without the initials. I can't imagine these other brands copying that "Hand Made in England" tag that Drakes is known for.

Edit: Here's the pic:

Last edited:

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:slayer:

By the way, Cotton Dockers: I think the motif on that tie is shell casings. Holland and Holland is best known as a gun maker.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics