1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TM79

TM79 Well-Known Member

Funny you say that because my best fitting are also from J. Brand. My 2nd best are AG straight leg. I don't do bootcut or skinny hipster jeans because I am built anatomically correct.

1 person likes this.
  2. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Well-Known Member

It's obviously NOT the RLPL as in THE RLPL, but it is odd, nice Sea Island cotton, and the label is purple, since there are so many experts here who know a hell of a lot more about it than me, I thought I'd ask. Thanks for posting that clear and concise explanation of what it is.

AE shoes and Zanella with Loro Piana fabric are a waste of time, I'll be sure to leave them next time, just because you said so. Point taken about the spoiler, was too lazy, should've gone back and edited it when I saw my post took up a whole page. Thanks for your opinion,

and by that I mean fuck you. Can't wait for your next post of some run of the mill PRL so I can say how nice it is[​IMG].

[​IMG]
    Just spent 30 minutes reading the various SC v Suit threads here on SF, pinstripes is the universal orphan. Oh well. It is a 2 button sleeve, navy and multi-stripe, so thought I was safe.
    Thanks, I'll have to figure out what needle and thread it'll take to work that denim, might not be worth the hassle, sell them to someone wanting the real 70's look.

3. SomethingsFishy

SomethingsFishy Well-Known Member

Fishy went thrifting!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since when did HSM make stuff that was this baller? A great MTM, awesome handwork and details. 39R

Pants! All pleated, sadly.
    [​IMG]
    Black one on the end is Incotex for Zegna 93/7 Wool cashmere 34W. Some shine but baller.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Zanella summerweight wool, green micro houndstooth! Lighter green than pic.
    [​IMG]
    Zanella 38, very soft wool. The windowpane is really an orangeish yellow, bad pic.

[​IMG]
    Brooks Brothers Makers tie, awesome jaguar print!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also got a Briggs and Riley 2-suiter, having trouble getting good pics. All available.

4. Garasaki

Garasaki Well-Known Member

Yep Botany 500 is top of the line around here.

Any "workwear" that you'd find in a thrift is going to be in real rough condition. The people who are going to hang on to that kind of stuff are going to wear it until it falls apart.

You can snag an ok dress shirt on occasion, but not much else - if you are looking for flipping material.

You can find occasional workable stuff for keeping but it's unlikely to be label friendly. On the other hand, you'll probably find all the gems in des moines before I get a chance to get here....

5. CesarC

CesarC Well-Known Member

Nice! I have a pair of the Agata model that I splurged on retail, and I like them quite a bit. Not as sturdy as my Ray-Ban's, but very lightweight and a great style.

6. sthenosall

sthenosall Well-Known Member

Quick stop today when I found out a meeting had been bumped back after I was already in the car. Only one find but it was intriguing.

[​IMG]

Brioni, appears to be super vintage. I know people on here are great with Brioni and I was wondering whether anyone could shed some light on it. It's in great condition minus two super small stains which I'm sure I can get out.

[​IMG]

All wool. Made in Italy.

[​IMG]

It's a 42 and a little to big on me but I couldn't let it go, they were practically giving it away.

[​IMG]

So if anyone digs it or wants to she'd some light on it it would be much appreciated.

1 person likes this.
  7. sthenosall

sthenosall Well-Known Member

Also, I passed on an orphaned vintage BB tux jacket with a shawl collar. I think it was about a 40/42. Should I have picked it up, it was in great condition.

8. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Well-Known Member

N/A

RRL vest size S
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BoO vest size 4 fits like RRL S
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BoO cargos, size 3 ~33"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Here's a pic of the Levi's Engineered jeans, for those curious. Twisted seam / J-pant construction, linen/cotton blend for cool texture/drape, and a great cut (unfortunately undermined by the big-ass Red Wing boots in this pic).

*Chairman Meow not included.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
    2 people like this.
  10. Digmenow

Digmenow Well-Known Member

My black 'plastic fantastic' single monks will be on their way back to whence they came since I found these at lunch today!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Charles Horrell is not a name I could find much about. There's a couple of references to them here on SF. They were bought up a while back by Sanders & Sanders. Looks like they retail for around $220 USD based on this site. Like I said, they are far better than my current black single monks.

Anyone have any more info?

11. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Well-Known Member

Brooks Brothers Makers tie, awesome jaguar print!
    I don't generally go for critter-print ties, but if I did, I'd rock the flock out of that cheetah print!

12. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

Silverwarebandit: Score on those BoO items! Wow!

Picked up a few items today.

Not pictured: 2 Willis & Geiger Bush poplin shirts (both XL) & a Robert Graham paisley embroidery shirt. Got the RG for $1!

AE Hancock. Mint! 9 D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Monster Marantz home theater receiver. I have a similar model and it puts out a lot of power!

[​IMG]

13. concealed

concealed Well-Known Member

you might be my favorite poster

14. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

Wow, I'm happy you like 'em bro! I've heard the their quality have gone down hill a bit so maybe yours were the older model?
    [​IMG]
    +1 on N&F for entry denim. Their Elephant 3 just came out!
    Naw, most of their wares are made in third world country. I did buy a pair of vintage trainers from them which were made in Viet Nam. They look cool but I'm expecting them to fall apart after a few more wear. My experiences with selvedge made in third world country is they really suck...I've learned the hard way and have since moved on to greener pastures...
    Fuck me, man! Crazy ass haul!!!
    That's an awesome name for a cat!

15. FETIDI

FETIDI Member

BRIONI was using size labels like that in the 1980's. The look legit. Is this an orphan jacket or a true sports jacket?

16. noob in 89

[​IMG]

Thanks. I rescued her from a wild roving Doberman when she was just a wee thing; we promptly gave her a man's name to fool the evil spirits.

SPECIAL BONUS: All my cats are thrifted from the out of doors.

2 people like this.
  17. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

SHEWS

AE Chester - 14
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

AE Newport - 14
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Eddie Bauer Chukkas - 12
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Florsheim Longwing 5 Nails - 8
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Florsheim Summer Weave - 10.5
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Hanover Longwing Brown - 8
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Hanover Longwing Burgundy - 8
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Hanover Longwing Black - 8
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Johnston & Murphy Leather/Hemp weave - 13
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Nettleton Monk Strap - 12
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Florsheim PTB Shell Cordovan - 9.5
    [​IMG]

Golf Spikes!!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

18. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Well-Known Member

Thanks dudes! I can't lie and say these were at a goodwill or something similar, they were at a consignment shop in town, pretty damn underpriced, they all fit, and I got a bonus today so fuck it, right?

Plus I got an idea of the schedule of the person who dropped all of these off from the staff :devil:

3 people like this.
  19. Digmenow

Digmenow Well-Known Member

Do you also have a pet rodent named Mousey Dung? :D

2 people like this.
  20. noob in 89

No, don't be foolish...

:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.