• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

i had that happen to me ... with an LP HORSEY JACKET!
thought i'd made the score of the year for $200 ... then it came and it buttoned on the wrong side (also shoulders fit weird, etc.). maddening.

Ah, that sucks. Really, I was angry because it was the third instance in a week's time. First I buy a roof rack to carry bicycles on my car. Get it and looked like it was packed by a rabid monkey--locking mechanisms broke. Next I bought some high end speakers for a car install I'm planning--get them and they're imitation. Then this coat comes, and appeared to be intentionally misrepresented. Wes was a good man and pointed out the coat was buttoned and the buttons only appeared to be on that side.

Seller stepped up and said she would pay for return shipping. All is well. **** happens.

redsfaithful

Reaction score
I'm new to this in general, and have started doing a rotation of local thrift stores every week. Mostly I've been learning what not to buy as much as what to actually pick up. It's kind of amazing to me that guys shop at low-mid range department stores, because I could have outfitted myself in enough Alfani or Club Room to last for years.

Anyway, I came across a Brooks Brothers navy 100% cashmere blazer today at a thrift store that seems to check eBay when they price things. I bought it at $50, but not sure if that is a decent deal? I really like it, but not sure yet if it's the kind of thing that will be rare but come up from time to time. Here are pictures, does anyone know how old it might be? I can find a few 100% cashmere BB blazers on eBay, but none seem to have gold buttons or this cashmere label.

I can find a few 100% cashmere BB blazers on eBay, but none seem to have gold buttons or this cashmere label.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know it seems like a lot, but READ THE ENTIRE THREAD. There is sooooooooo much information in here and it's also very entertaining. :nodding:

Indeed. I put everything on hiatus last weekend and went to Reno, departing with $430 in my pocket, returning with $580 and substantially fewer liver cells in good function. No Internet, no phone calls, no checking email, no anything except drinking, eating and gambling. I'm on the plane home now and it IS big fun catching up on 40-plus pages of posts. So yes, read the thread if you're just getting started. If you're just getting started and don't have the time, then make the time or else make your own mistakes. Even if you've been at this for awhile, reading the thread is both entertaining and time well spent.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I returned that Antonio Fusco. I still believe it was well made, but it was cut with Ivan Drago in mind, and nobody was going to take it off my hands (plus it had besom pockets) As soon as I walked in, I saw something on the "return" rack. From 50 paces I knew what I would be spending my store credit on.
Beige cotton. single breast, 3 roll 2, single vent, flat front trou. Eyeballing it, it's same as the others: 41ish R/S.
Best news? It was the same checkout dude as last night, and he remembered me, the tie and my stupidity at not getting a bag. He had the tie I dropped right at the register. Gave it to me no questions asked. Yes, I know there's a thread for this, but is this tag anything special, on the reverse side of the material tag? (I assume Rooser, but figured I'd ask)

Last edited:

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was talking to the lady and she said that they had been in the store for the past four days. ill be there at opening

I'm catching up on the thread and can't wait to see how this turns out, but sheesh: If there was a $500 bill sitting on the sidewalk, would you wait until tomorrow to get it? That's is what you're doing here.

hmmurdock

Reaction score

Real?

Definitely troll.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indeed. I put everything on hiatus last weekend and went to Reno, departing with $430 in my pocket, returning with $580 and substantially fewer liver cells in good function. No Internet, no phone calls, no checking email, no anything except drinking, eating and gambling. I'm on the plane home now and it IS big fun catching up on 40-plus pages of posts. So yes, read the thread if you're just getting started. If you're just getting started and don't have the time, then make the time or else make your own mistakes. Even if you've been at this for awhile, reading the thread is both entertaining and time well spent.

Sounds like fun!

Very very very true! Learned the hard way, got a bunch of not so great stuff...Prolly gonna sell on Ebay in bulk...

redsfaithful

Reaction score

Working my way through it while trying to keep up with the new posts, slow going but I'll get there. I agree that it's a great thread.

CesarC

Reaction score
Glad to hear you got that tie back!
Yes, I know there's a thread for this, but is this tag anything special, on the reverse side of the material tag?

Rooster, brand of ties, originated out of Philadelphia I believe. The company was founded by a guy that is now the person in charge of all ties for RL, all lines, so if you get vintage Rooster some of that stuff is really nice. Brand was better known for their knits. Lower 2nd tier, I would say, if you get the good, older stuff. New stuff is mostly garbage. That logo is from older Rooster, though.

Edit: Here's a link to AAAC that talks about the brand

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just spent the evening having hors d'oeuvres and adult beverages at the Myers Mansion in Hanover. Home of one of the founders of Hanover shoes. Talk about a truly amazing home. They even had a little display of some of the early Hanover shoe models.

Last edited:

Layered Player

Reaction score
Glad to hear you got that tie back!
Quote:
Rooster, brand of ties, originated out of Philadelphia I believe. The company was founded by a guy that is now the person in charge of all ties for RL, all lines, so if you get vintage Rooster some of that stuff is really nice. Brand was better known for their knits. Lower 2nd tier, I would say, if you get the good, older stuff. New stuff is mostly garbage. That logo is from older Rooster, though.

Edit: Here's a link to AAAC that talks about the brand
Have always dug Roosters.

Have 4 now and recently thrifted a vintage bow tie that was originally labeled for the Bowdoin Pharmacy in Kennebunk, Maine. It's size and condition make me think late 60's early 70's.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Damn Nissan Dealer in Baltimore wants $950 to replace my cracked radiator. I looked up the part...and I can get a new one for about $55. Total bullshit.

Decided to have the car towed home (50+ miles). The cost is $235. No brainer.

Wanted to square up with the Dealer for the service of looking at my car to identify that I has a cracked radiator (which I told them when I dropped it off) - $62.50.
BUT they don't except credit card transactions over the phone. They told me the towing company would pay for the charge and then charge me. I called the towing company to verify. NOPE, they don't do that. SO, I had to leave work and drive 2 hours to pay the bill before they would release the car to the tow truck. Damn that was stupid. 

End Rant

Too late, but if that had been me, I would have:

1. Asked to speak with the manager. After explaining the situation, I would have given them a chance to make it right, i.e., take the $65 electronically. What you were told is, I suspect, a total crock in this day and age--heck, you could've used Western Union (they still exist, incredibly). If the manager still said no, I would have, politely, told him that my next call was going to be to Nissan America (or whatever they call company HQ), and then the state attorney general's consumer protection division and then the media, in that order. I would also offer to pay an extra $10, bringing it up to $75, for his consideration.

2. If the manager did not make it right, at that point I would get angry, I would have done what you did and picked up the car myself, then I would have asked to speak with the manager in person.If the jurisdiction in question allows single-party consent, I would record that conversation, as well as the previous conversation I had with the manager.

3. I would file a complaint with the state AG. I would call the local newspaper. If you were able to make tape recordings, I would get in touch with Nissan America and email the recordings to the appropriate person. At this point, I would demand all of my money back, given that they forced you to make that drive. If they did not refund the money, I would post the recordngs, if you have them, on YouTube along with a description of exactly what they did.

4. When the repair was complete, and assuming it was way less than what the dealer quoted you, I would get in touch with the media (preferably a TV station---they love consumer protection pieces, and pitch them a story about the Nissan dealer who held your car hostage, complete with receipts and recordings (if you have them). Make sure that Nissan America (or whoever it is) knows that you are going to do this before you do it. They may be able to had things off at the pass.

The deal is, most folks, understandably, cave in situations like this because it involves persistence and takes a little time. But, once they understand they're dealing with someone who has a few brain cells and who is articulate and who explains the way this is going to work in a calm, cool tone, they very often will do the right thing because the potential consequences aren't worth it. You don't yell, you remain the epitome of business like and hope that they do the same.

Randomore

Reaction score

Just spent the evening having hors d'oeuvres and adult beverages at the Myers Mansion in Hanover. Home of one of the founders of Hanover shoes. Talk about a truly amazing home. They even had a little display of some of the early Hanover shoe models.

Awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads