• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found a NWT Zegna jacket (navy wool, patch pocket, duo fabric) in 48/38 for $5.

Inside the pocket was a Rolex GMT wut?

Would take pics but it's in the pocket which is still basted shut, NWT my friend.
wat?

WTF! Wait, if the pocket is basted shut, how do you know it's a Rolex GMT? Or do you just think it's one? Or maybe even wish it were?

rayxlui

Reaction score

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Chaps, Oscar De La Renta, list could go on.
Realistically:
Grail - Kiton, Hermes, Attolini, .Rubinacci, Tom Ford, Stefano Ricci, Lobbs, Edward Green, Saville Row bespoke stuff of recent vintage .......
Excellent - High end fashion brands of recent vintage (Dior, Bottega Venetia, Lanvin being 3 standouts). Zegna Couture, Ralph Lauren Purple Label, Borrelli, Brunello Cucinelli and a few others....
Good - Most familiar fashion brands, Brioni, Zegna Mainline, Ralph Lauren Black Label, Luciano Barbera, Isaia etc.....
Average - Oxxford (recent only), RRL, Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece, Ralph Lauren Polo made in Italy, Canali, Skeet Blankets etc...............
Barely Pickable - Brooks Brothers 1818, Paul Stuart, Hickey Freeman, Hugo Boss (suits or jackets) etc..............
If a fellow picks for himself, then everything is fair game since it is a personal thing. For flipping or trades, I would only pick Good to Grail.

I dunno man. I've gotta disagree on the last statement. Brooks Brothers 1818, recent Golden Fleece, recent Oxxford, Polo by Corneliani, etc are all great pickups for trades/selling on here.

For not living in California, NYC or Texas, I'd put the Barely Pickable stuff at Good, Average at Great and Excellent stuff would be Grails. The Grail stuff would be Super Grails (ie: you might find one or two in your time thrifting if you're persistent).

Finally , finally got out today and hit up some of my spots.
My second Barbour find ever, this glen plaid scarf. N/A

Ebbits Field Flannel Red Socks baseball jacket. Besides two chipped buttons, the thing looks unworn. N/A for the moment.

And my third Barbour find ever, this is a size medium. I know one of you gents has this jacket in a small they want to trade me. Otherwise, this is going to one of my buddy's as a Christmas present.

Nice finds! Just learned about Ebbits Field Flannels last night, actually!

Found a NWT Zegna jacket (navy wool, patch pocket, duo fabric) in 48/38 for $5.

Inside the pocket was a Rolex GMT wut?

:slayer: :laugh:

Just thrifted myself a cracked radiator on the way home from my uncles funeral. Now I'm stranded in Baltimore 1.25 hours from home.
On the bright side. I thrifted 2 oxxford suits, a Burberry London sc and a j press sc just before this happened.

Dang, that sucks. Maybe the thrift gods were looking down on you, that haul should pay for a new radiator and the labor.

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone!

I know what to keep my eye out for now.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Standford all the way, bro!

Golden retriever. Kindest, most majestic creature I have ever had the honor to call a best friend.

They are great dogs. I'm about to venture into responsible dog ownership, too. I hope you feel better soon.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some of my favorite thrifted pieces have been Leonard Logsdail bespoke, NY bespoke which I am thoroughly convinced is far ahead of Savile row.

Logsdail is the **** man. I found a suit around here as well and thought it was amazing. I cannot remember who I gave it to, but man, what a suit that was :nodding:

Was Logsdail not a Saville Row tailor himself that recently upped sticks and moved to NY? Anyway, his work is amazing and up there with any other bespoke piece I have seen. I would put the craftmanship on a par with Rubinacci. Hope Logsdail is a member here and will value my comment so much he will offer me a free suit :lol:

Condolences on your beloved pet. Never easy to let a loved one go.

I dunno man. I've gotta disagree on the last statement. Brooks Brothers 1818, recent Golden Fleece, recent Oxxford, Polo by Corneliani, etc are all great pickups for trades/selling on here.

Scratching head... Food for thought .... I can see how Polo by Corneliani would be a possible flier - particularly if it is a staple suit. Never been convinced about Oxxford, it is a brand that scares me to spend 50 on and then try figure out a way of letting it go without loss. Oxxford Crest - had no trouble finding a fellow wanting a piece I had, and had no trouble selling a brown suit. Brooks Brothers scares me even more.

Last edited:

rayxlui

Reaction score

Golden retriever.  Kindest, most majestic creature I have ever had the honor to call a best friend.

That's what you told me though :(

Oh and if your in SB, let's hit up.

Last edited:

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe, but I occasionally pick it up for myself. I actually like the way their shirts fit and if the price is right, I grab them for myself.
I went to my wife's goddaughter's baptism today, so a quick fit pic. I was rushing out the door and it's similar to previous posts, but I got to try out one of my Borsalinos. I had four separate people touch the collar of the coat and 2 references to The Godfather. Oh, and a pile of criticism from my wife's family for just about everything that we do, but that's normal, right?? :nodding:

I saw a jacket almost exactly like yours today. 100% cashmere, double breasted with a mink collar, made in Canada presumably by Samuelson. They wanted $400 for it.....and that was down from $450. If it was in the $200 range, I would have snatched it up in a heartbeat. As far as the "grail" list goes, I would put any number of vintage haberdasher's names on that list, but then again, I'm more partial to the old stuff. :D

bytor13

Reaction score
Today: Part 2!
After my good luck this morning, I tempted fate and went out again.

Some scarves for me - UNAVAILABLE

T&A x2, Pink - All 17x36(ish) - AVAILABLE

Orvis cords I got for my secret Santa, but didn't work - 38x28.5 - AVAILABLE

Thom Browne OCBD - Fits a little big on me, so size 3(?) - Large - AVAILABLE

Finally picked up some selvege! Unbranded - UNAVAILABLE

Oh, hello there, Mr. Cucinelli! Nice to see you again. Twice in 1 day! - UNAVAILABLE - SECRET SANTA GIFT!!!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

PRL Made in the USA green tweed - ticket pocket, side vents - Tagged 37S - AVAILABLE

Another in a day of firsts! Tagged 48, but fits large on my 40R frame. So, around a 41/42. AVAILABLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads