1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wcl

wcl Well-Known Member

I have seen lots of fake Zegnas, so I can usually spot them. I was suspicious of the Brionis but was hesitant to say anything. I don't recall seeing them with the keeper and the chain. In fact I don't think they have used a chain since maybe the 90's. I do recall discussions on here maybe a couple of years ago about really good Brioni knock offs coming out of the middle east maybe? Hey, it happens. :)

At any rate a couple of good finds today. A couple of XL Cotton/Linen Cuccinellis and a nice pair of no name braces.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Ken P

Ken P Well-Known Member

I found one in december with a keeper and a chain however that one had a label on the back blade (term for this?) that said "100% Seta" etc. These do not. Additionally, that one did not have the brioni logo on the back of tip.

3. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Well-Known Member

Not in Canada apparently.

4. antirabbit

antirabbit Well-Known Member

Just popped into my place, snagged a Turnbull and Asser sea island cotton shirt and an unworn E. Marinella tie out the door $9.99

1 person likes this.
  5. messenger309

messenger309 Well-Known Member

Anything better on a hot Sunday than thrifting a hammock big enough for the whole damn family?

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. cakebug

cakebug Member

All of St. Andrews tags say that about the pants. Even the tags for overcoats say the pants are lined with 100% cotton. I am 100% confident you have a sport coat, not an orphan. An orphan would say "suit" or "completo". This was actually a point of confusion for someone who bought a LB Sport Coat from me on eBay.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/24109/h...rns-secrets-to-id-the-maker/0_100#post_327735

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Well-Known Member

Gucci type 3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RG cubbies shirt
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Steven Alan seersucker popover
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rag & Bone oiled chore coat / blazer hybrid
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BoO for my boo

[​IMG]

Incotex linen/cotton
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. timmygoestothez

timmygoestothez Well-Known Member

Sweet. Great information. Thanks!

9. cakebug

cakebug Member

Has anyone else noticed suspicious activity at Marshalls? It looks like some people are buying high-end items and returning cheap replacements.

1. I ran across a very cheap jacket, probably Calvin Klein, which had its label ripped off. In the place of the old label was an authentic Ermenegildo Zegna label that had be sewn on poorly. The price tag read $1299. It looked like someone bought the Zegna and CK, then returned the CK as the Zegna to get a $1299 refund.
    2. One week my Marshalls got a big shipment of Armani Collezioni sport coats and dress shirts. The dress shirts were priced at $149. The sport coats at $699. I went back a few weeks later and all of the sport coats were gone, and the dress shirts had been retagged to $699. They had also scratched off the MSRP of the original Armani tags. I suspecte someone had bought all of the dress shirts and sport coats, then returned the dress shirts with the sport coat tags. They scratched out the MSRP so the cashier wouldn't question why the refund amount is more than 2x the MSRP.
    3. A very old Zegna (mid 80s) blazer that had been returned as new with a price tag of $999.

I regret not taking any pictures. I let the management know but I'm contemplating writing to their HQ. Has anyone noticed something similar?

10. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

This jacket is pretty awesome! Wrong time of year, but oh well. 3 Roll 2 & Half Lined

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. IRKSM

IRKSM Well-Known Member

hey everyone got back from camp two days ago and have been bedridden since. hitting the outlets today hopefully jason from broke and bespoke didn't buy everything...
    leaving next monday for michigan for a few weeks so if anyone wants to meet up in the traverse city area let me know. I will be able to thrift intermittently but will mostly be fly fishing and sailing and hitting on girls...
    ps sorry about the huge wait I hope aglose and eazy were happy with their packages
    also spoo look out for a package in the next week or so

12. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

I've handled Zegna ties that look like that...It's looks old. I'm not 100% sure if it's real...Hmmm, 70% is more like it...
    The easiest way to tag suits/jacket is measurement the p2p and multiply it by 2 and minus 4. So in this case it's about a size 42 to 44.
    The Bronis are real but old. I've had a few that are like that. Do they have serial numbers under the fold? I don't recall when they started doing that but some should have those. I've also had an old ass Brioni tie that had "Brioni" written in old English that was real. Crazy...
    You checking out the school out there, brah?

13. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

:drool:

Thank you for not being a Large!

14. Ken P

Ken P Well-Known Member

Comparing the Zegna's silk to another tie leads me to believe it's fake. It just feels sort of scratchy not smooth or soft.

The brioni's don't have a serial number under the fold. Upon examination I found this:
    [​IMG]
    Which has me thinking fake. Any ideas?

15. SchoolyardBully

SchoolyardBully Well-Known Member

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Can anyone tell me if this is real?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  16. wcl

wcl Well-Known Member

Real, but Hella old. LIke 1970's old.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  17. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

Wow, that's the oldest Zegna I've ever seen!

18. Digmenow

Digmenow Well-Known Member

:plain:

19. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

20. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

OMG! Remember those bomb ass Neapolitan FU tweeds I got from Spoo like 2 months ago? Oh yeah! They fit me now! Thanks again, Uncle Spoo! I rummaged my closet and realized I have more shit than what I know what to do with! AND they are all mine! Mine! MINEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!

Thanks, thrift thread. I've learned so much and got so much cool stuff! I love you guys! [​IMG]

If this thread were a woman, I would make sweet sweet love to tit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *Insert hump .gif

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.