1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stewie

Stewie Well-Known Member

Such a tease! Moar Pics/Detail! :lurk:

2. Digmenow

Digmenow Well-Known Member

I think I hit for the cycle in denim today! Feels good to find some grail stuff after such a long dry spell. And they ALL fit! Mostly. Some a bit more snug and some a bit looser than I like.

[​IMG]

Nutcrushers! They are slightly more snug than my 514's in the same waist size (30) but only 3 buttons? That's a short rise my man!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't care that the denim heads don't think much of Diesel! This is my second pair and I REALLY LIKE how they fit! The baked on pre-distressed fading is kind of hokey but it's not horrible.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At 33W, these are slightly big on me when I first put them on and feel like they'll get bigger as the day goes on.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These fit very snugly but when I lose the last 15 pounds that I intend, they should be fine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I need a cigarette.

1 person likes this.
  3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

Great pic, hard call. Mezlan is known for their skins, but this is too good of a skin for Mezlan. A center cut, belly skin with no fight marks? Almost too perfect, and theres no way that skin would have hit their price point. Also, see the creasing across the tiles at the bendmarks? Thats a giveaway of printed leather. Real gators dont do that. Its like when you bend a credit card in half. Though the detail of the print is pretty good, they even got the fine lines inbetween the tiles.

Verdict : 95% sure stamped. If you want to send them to me to look and I can send them back, would be happy to look for you.

4. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

Wow!!

:bounce2:

I've been inside a handful of Journal Standard stores while in Tokyo this past fall. Such cool stuff. Also had me looking like this every time I left. :fu:

They didn't carry any LL (double L is like their XL), the largest size they carried was L and a Japanese L fits like a US M. Still, that's a crazy find!

5. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Well-Known Member

100% unavailable. This thing fits perfect. I'm so happy. :slayer::D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

edit: when I was looking at this I didn't realize it was JS homestead right off the bat. There is a lot of vintage workwearish stuff at this spot, usually beat up. I actually was thinking 'oh hey, this is where JS Homestead / sunny sports get their designs from.'

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
    3 people like this.
  6. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

I don't usually pick up PRL pants.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. MZhammer

MZhammer Well-Known Member

Maybe not all SF approved but today's finds. already waiting on eBay so N/A although I'm making an Orange sweater vest available for any regular. Check the spoiler to see...

Kuhlman 100% Cashmere made in Italy 52R
    [​IMG]

Found an identical sweater vest in Orange but no maker tag so available. Approx XL. 80% Cashmere, 20% Silk
    [​IMG]

PRL by Corn.
    [​IMG]

This kind of stuff keeps me humble. definitely would not have recognized that

8. Brianpore

1 person likes this.
  9. cpmac7

cpmac7 Well-Known Member

That really is sick.

I usually leave them on the shelf cause I have been burned too many times at $5

10. silverwarebandit

I feel like this is really a lesson in photography for those of us selling on the bay. I've definitely had times where something should have sold for multiple X what it did, and the fault is my terrible iphone photos.

11. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

And sharks to boot. (I think I've already noted I call the triple pleats "sharks", on account of the similarity of 3 pleats to gills, the 4 pleat ones I call Megalodon, an ancient massive great white).

Shiny (I think): that brooksease is awesome. I've been looking for something similar. Would love to find a nice summer weight hop sack weave with 3 x patch pockets.

Hammer: 52 EU? Check thy pm.

1 person likes this.
  12. silverwarebandit

This brand has only recently been carried by milkmade, hickoree's, acrimony and maybe a few other overpriced boutiques in the US. This was an incredibly rare find. I know and covet this label and still didn't realize what it was until checking the content tag that said "Journal Standard Homestead".

13. CesarC

CesarC Well-Known Member

MZHammer, I like your style of photos -- very concise and effective. Shiny, great stuff! I'm so glad you found nice things in your size.

PSA -- I forget who gave the tip about Pantherella merino wool socks at Marshall's, but I just checked mine and they are loaded! About >20 sets of 3-packs, in various colors, all size medium (UK 6 - 8.5). The color combos I saw were grey/green/blue, grey/brown/yellow, and grey/red/yellow. I picked up some for myself, but can go back and proxy (at-cost) for any thread regulars, total cost per pair is just under $6.

Have some finds to post, but will do that in better light. I do have one question about a tag -- I could've sworn I've seen this before, but now I think I'm deluding myself. No country of origin marked, which is suspicious. Any info on this, found at TJ Maxx -- I kind of like it for myself, but might end up returning it unless that's a bad idea:

[​IMG] - >> ??

1 person likes this.
  14. sparrow

sparrow Well-Known Member

i think it may come more down to lighting then the iphone.
    its pretty good for pics in daylight. not so much without it.
    the whitebox i think makes a big difference.

15. MZhammer

MZhammer Well-Known Member

Thanks, I've been playing around with eBay listing main pics and this is the style I've come to. I wanted something a little different that was identifiable too. A main shot that shows shape and pattern along with the label dropped in. Amazing what you can do with an iphone and MS Paint these days!

I definitely need a white box

16. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

A few accessories from the last 2-3 weeks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Brianpore

When I think of a tie to go with a white OCBD and a blue blazer, this is it! Dosent happen to be on the skinny side like 3.25"?? (they never are)

[​IMG]

18. dexconstruct

dexconstruct Well-Known Member

It was an Attolini. Sold it for $700.

19. cakebug

cakebug Member

My recent finds. All in my size and N/A. Please enjoy while I catch up on my 1000 post backlog.

RLPL Cotton half-zip pullover

[​IMG]

A couple of J. Press ties.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    RL gator belt

[​IMG]

Alfred Sargent - I think they cleaned up nicely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Allen Edmonds

[​IMG]

GF found this at Marshalls

[​IMG]

GF also found this in the women's section.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mezlan croc loafers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lucchese boots - unsure of the materials

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shell AE Leeds

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  20. SchoolyardBully

SchoolyardBully Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

went thrifting and saw this, Charcoal DB peak lapel + pants, anyone know if this is RTW or bespoke?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.