1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

In hindsight, I think you're right on both counts. Oh well, what I like about clothes is that you can combine and configure them in so many different ways. If something doesn't work one day, try something else the next. What seems like death to me is to wear the same thing, in the same configuration over and over again.

But back to the trousers: Has anyone had trousers tapered? How did you do it? Did you take a pair that you liked in to your tailor and tell them to replicate the line? Or did you just say you want to taper fromt he knee down to an X inch ankle?

2. brianG

brianG Well-Known Member

I've flipped an XXL quickly on eBay, for about $25-30. Granted it was MII and 100% silk, so that probably accounts for the interest.

3. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Well-Known Member

I skip regular size Polo Ralph Lauren and other brands that sell for 0.99 on the bay, but I always pick up 2xl, 3xl, xlt etc... they always sell for more. Don't know if it's the same phenomenon for higher end shirts, but I would assume so.

1 person likes this.
  4. joshmick

joshmick Well-Known Member

I think irregular sized people shop online more because it's harder to find stuff in store. I sold some size 14 ferragamos in the first day of posting a few months ago.

1 person likes this.
  5. futuremyth

futuremyth Well-Known Member

Thanks all. I'll head back at lunch.

6. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Well-Known Member

Awesome fit and that jacket is ridiculous.

I also love finding out about new fabric, prints, stitching, etc. File under Loopwheel, Ombre, Sashiko, Jacquard. Basically any new shit Unionmade posts.

Yes! Love finding these.

More pics of this? I know it's N/A....I just wanna reference point for future shopping.

1 person likes this.
  7. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Well-Known Member

Not the current tag. Current tag is a light grey/silver with white lettering as I recall from seeing some suiting at Marshalls a few months back.

8. sparrow

sparrow Well-Known Member

Thats print quality pics.

9. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

great shirt for summer

10. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

:rotflmao:

I've had many pairs of trousers tapered. Just go to your tailor, she'll have you put them on and pin them with as much taper as you'd like. Mine charges around $30 I think. Not a bad price if you're doing it on a $400 pair of trousers.

11. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Well-Known Member

Heh, I see Mr. Noob is trying the band collar conversion DIY. I too am attempting at the moment with a shirt whose collar I detest.

This. I've had it done by my 'good' (read: expensive) tailor for about $40, and by the local Stitch It for about $20. My rule is, if it's a tricky job or a wool pair, I go to the good guy.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  12. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

13. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

Nice, Spoo. That pink windowpane shirt is :inlove: Here's my version of beach formal. (Actually, I could show you pictures of my wife and I getting married, literally formal -- black tie -- on the beach. But no. Instead, I present: ) Thrift fit. Hold on a sec while I calculate the number of fucks given .... multiply by 24 .... carry the one ... divide by the square root of pi ... take the derivative .... Yep. I thought so. Z.E.R.O. (For the record: Trousers are YELLOW. Like, canary yellow.) [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    (Actually, not true. I do give one regarding the blurriness of the full photo. My STUPID camera refocused itself as I was hitting the timer button and I didn't realize it until I got to the office and it was too late! Never fear; I plan to buy a remote control in the near future....)

4 people like this.
  14. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

it doesn't add up to zero, nice try

15. Hoofit

Hoofit Well-Known Member

For those that asked. here are the measurements:
    Chest: 22"
    Shoulders: 19"
    Sleeves 24.5"
    Length: 29.25"

16. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

:fu: :fu:

17. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

18. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

Do it! The more casual the shirt, the better. I tried this on some poly-wool milsurp number, a starchy oxford, then BOOM -- it works on linen.

brb, off to google a few of these.

Yeah, not seeing these things in person, I was wondering how they achieved that faded look. I'm still lusting after this Our Legacy shirt, wish I could duplicate this at home...

[​IMG]

TODAY:

[​IMG]

HERMES!

Awesome tie. It does have a dingy or darker area near the neck. I've read THE WHOLE THREAD, and yet I'm still unsure how to remove stains, nor do I remember the place you guys mail your ties to. Anyone wants to drop some knowledge, that'd be sweet, thanks.

19. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

Let's keep the shell train rolling, shell we?
    BB black shell tassel's. These are Alden, correct?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

Yup!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.