1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shiny

Shiny Well-Known Member

Androfan: Great haul! One day?!? That’s awesome.

JP: Please tell me it took you several weeks to accumulate all that. Ben Sherman usually equals updated cuts/modern styling, even if it is generally frowned on here. Great stuff.

Re. having a “members only” thread. When someone initially did that, I didn’t think it was a good idea. But now, I’m more and more in favor of it. I think this thread is a red-headed stepchild of SF. I think it generates the most traffic of any thread on here. That makes sense since most of the lurkers who come on here want to dress well but don’t have the coin to spend big bucks on menswear. But, in general, most of SF is a snobfest where most everybody puts you down if you’re not wearing kiton or EG. I know I’ve suggested in other threads that people save some $ on coveted brands and buy preowned stuff. That usually doesn’t go over very well, lol. It’s like suggesting to someone with skin cancer to get a suntan.

If someone were to take this up, it would be a lot of work. Setting it up, monitoring it, making sure all pix are uploaded etc. It would be a major endeavor.

2. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Well-Known Member

Been both too busy to thrift much and also had very little luck but here's my one find in the last week

Red Wing Chelsea Boots (uppers needed a clean but soles are perfect. not available, found a new home for them)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. ATLjon

ATLjon Well-Known Member

(OK. My first [​IMG]. Sorry)

Speaking of that, if any 42 Ls want to low-ball me on an offer for a sweet summer Kiton, I'm listening. Even "thrifting" housing in Germany (airbnb.com) gets expensive. Will trade for equal awesomeness in short-guy size.

Not [​IMG]:

The third anniversary is leather, right? My wife got me this:

[​IMG]

4. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

Nice! Technically not leather, but you gotta let that slide. Awesome gift!

5. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Well-Known Member

Another quick summertime thrift. As per someone's suggestion the other day, I've tried a full body shot. I enlisted my 10-year-old to do it. we may have to work on this a bit. :happy:

Vintage PRL jacket (from Dexconstruct)
    LL Bean BD shirt (thirfted)
    Hermes tie (thrifted)
    Baldessarini pants, single pleat (from Nataku)
    My Dack's camelskin shoes (thrifted)
    No name PS Made In Italy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Well-Known Member

Wut.

I had similar experiences when I saw Engineered Garments, Yohji, and those Gucci croc loafers.

7. MZhammer

MZhammer Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG]Why did I spend my whole clothing budget last month...

8. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Well-Known Member

Awesome gift and don't tempt me about the jacket. Are the shoulders really that wide though?

Bar prep sucks. No thrifting in weeks sucks. Reading all of your amazing finds helps me take a short break from insanity and live through you all. Keep up the awesome work.

For the discount minded: In an effort of panic that my vitamix was going to die and ruin my study lunch staple (motor going), I ordered a new one. PSA for anyone looking for one, they have their newest model (7500 counter height model) "reconditioned" for $399 and offer a 100 bucks for a trade in (doesn't look to require a working model, so thrift / ebay a broken one?). Call them and they will order any color despite what the website says.

Oh and re-thrifted a pair of sunglasses (non SF approved Oakleys) I lost at the remote campus last semester some time. I randomly remembered and asked if that campus had a lost and found and sure enough my shades were still there months later.

Did I mention I am procrastinating right now?

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  9. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

Procrastination, second only to masterbation, is the best way to fu@k yourself.

10. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. Jowen

Jowen Well-Known Member

Wow, nice boots!! I feel like boots in decent shape are one of the tougher items to pull from a thrift, I don't remember seeing many Red Wing boots posted here. Has anyone posted Alden Indys found at a thrift? That would be an amazing find!

Spoo, your story is amazing! Good for you man, enjoy the ride!

12. Jpmorris

Jpmorris Well-Known Member

5 days, ill post the rest of it later tonight :). The only good suits and stuff are still to come. Not pictured were a couple zegnas no one cares to see, and a dope RLPL polo for myself.
    PSA: I WILL buy/trade for any L RLPL short sleeve polos you find, shit longsleeved as well
    Edit: Yes, Mainy posted some Indy's not long ago.
    PPS: Oxxford super 180's, moth BUFFET! Most heartbreaking find possibly ever. SOOOOO nice, i wanted to take it and have boxers made out of it...

13. hooker4186

hooker4186 Well-Known Member

What size you looking for?

E: durrrrr I reed gud.

14. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

I thrifted the shoe version of the Indy's a few months back. Really nice, too bad they were a size 14.

15. ATLjon

ATLjon Well-Known Member

To clean my leather, is how she justified it.

I got her a sweet leather-bound, collector's edition of Emily Post's Etiquette, something she's been wanting, kind of.

16. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Well-Known Member

They were really dirty on the toes and heels so they were marked down to normal shoe prices which was weird since the soles are perfect. Cleaned up no problem though.

Would love to thrift myself a pair of Indys, that's the top of my most wanted list these days

17. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

18. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Well-Known Member

The natural progression here leads to...

19. AHS

AHS Well-Known Member

Nice pick-up this morning.... Could use some TLC before I put them up on B&S or ship to Spoo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AHS

20. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.