1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Well-Known Member

Sweet little score from the other day. Was at a more remote shop and it rolled out with a bunch of shoes. Probably had been out for hours, folded up it's much more unassuming. It was one of those moments where my eyes actually got huge when I saw it.
    [​IMG]
    Now if I can just re-attach one tiny spring inside we should be good to go.

They had a Maltese falcon, I bought a Maltese falcon.
    [​IMG]
    This may or may not have been bought just because of watching this a while back. I know it's an awful copy, but it looks pretty awesome on my shelf.

1 person likes this.
  2. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

Just a couple things, two sweet cotton knit ties. Much softer than the wools knits I've got and just in time for summer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Vintage duck decoy
    [​IMG]
    Vintage Coach glove leather messenger bag.
    [​IMG]
    And another steamer trunk. Not sure what color it's going to be. Red or yellow probably.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Well-Known Member

Finally had a chance to hit the thrifts again. I keep wishing I will land an incredible haul like you all. But I did have some AWESOME luck, that I didn't realize until I started taking these pictures just now (see end of post).

Thrift synergy, Cap. Vintage NOS Lord & Taylor Seersucker pants. My size, but double pleated.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interesting La Martina Polo Shirt. Seems very well made. XXL but fits much slimmer, I'd say.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vintage BB 3/2 Wash and Wear Cotton Jacket (about a 44)

[​IMG]

Sperry 10.5 Brown Boat Shoes
    [​IMG]

Black Loro Piana Cashmere fabric for Nordstrom Blazer, 46R.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cool Marmot Windbreaker, XL
    [​IMG]

PRL windbreaker with tuckable hood. Has some spots, XL
    [​IMG]

A couple of days ago I found this Orvis vest. Awesome suede vest in pretty good shape overall. I was a little disappointed that it made it into the "boutique" section at a whopping $15, but picked it up anyway. I didn't know it was this awesome until just now. Orvis Suede Vest, with extra buttons and all. In really great shape and had a little extra bonus in the pocket. Started taking picture to post here and felt something in the pocket. What could it be?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. JL3212

JL3212 Well-Known Member

eazy--The ties look cool and that messenger bag looks sweet. Nice finds!

5. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

Thanks! And here's another pair brought back from the dead. Vintage Mason, Redwing style boots.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. suited

suited Well-Known Member

Unfortunately no, I use it for my pictures, and have worn it relatively recently. It's a Zegna I bought forever ago. I did happen to see one just like it on Neiman Marcus' website, only in navy blue. I'm very tempted to buy it myself, but considering that they're ties are so cheap at the outlet, I can't justify the price.

[​IMG]

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/Ermen...%3D217%2C&eItemId=prod152940146&cmCat=product

That's neat. My grandpa used to carve his own ducks.

7. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

@Dolfan, talk about a come up!

8. HansderHund

HansderHund Well-Known Member

Some recent finds...

Knot cufflinks
    [​IMG]

Austrian coin cufflinks. This is confusing, because I don't know this coin. Normally, the back has Maria Theresa, but in this case it has Franz Josef. Any European coin guys know anything about it?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Zodiac cufflinks
    [​IMG]

Suede Hogan purse
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fusold coat
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cashmere double breasted jacket
    [​IMG]

Ballantyne polo. Anyone need this?
    [​IMG]

Charvet shirt
    [​IMG]

La Martina shirt
    [​IMG]

Van Santen & Van Santen shirt
    [​IMG]

9. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

@dollfan thrifting money is the best. No ebay work required.

@hans those zodiac cufflinks are sweet!

10. HansderHund

That's a cool duck!

Here is one my father carved:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

Talk about thrift synergy on such an obscure label! I stopped into their boutique in Las Vegas the last time I was there. Very cool store but their stuff is on the pricey side. That shirt probably retailed around $250-ish. The new house has been keeping me busy. No shortage of items on my honey-do list. I've been out quite a bit, just been lazy on taking pictures for the thread. Here's a quick catch-up on the past week or so. Recent BR suit [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    NWOT Indochino Custom staple medium gray suit [​IMG] [​IMG] John Varvatos mainline flannel suit. Eu 54 [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Samuelsohn pure Chinese Cashmere SC. 44 R, fits like a 46 R. [​IMG] [​IMG] Patagonia Rubicon Rider Ski jacket [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Allen Edmonds Woodstock. 9 D [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    NWT Duchamp silver tie [​IMG] Charvet & Faberge egg ties [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Filson Tin Cloth [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Filson Whipcords [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bills M2 [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The missing tag is likely the only reason this Brioni polo sweater lasted more than 24 hours at one of my stops. [​IMG] [​IMG] Oakley Icon 2.0 backpack [​IMG] Arctyrex Blade 24 (N/A) [​IMG] [​IMG] Marc Jacobs handbag [​IMG] [​IMG] NWT Tilley Hat [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Filson Cap [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  12. flirtkakat

flirtkakat Well-Known Member

Hansder, size of polo? Nice finds.

Might try finding some nice things myself, never gone thrifting before but you guys get some awesome stuff.

13. hooker4186

hooker4186 Well-Known Member

Damn nice find on that Arcteryx, colour me jealous.

14. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

That's pretty cool... Is there a date on there anywhere? And are you sure they are coins and not just reproductions?

I've been able to find references to Franz Josef on several coins from the 19th century, but those don't quite look the same.

15. HansderHund

I thought that was weird as well! I wasn't going to even post it until I saw his. I come across it every once in awhile, but there are so many fakes. I also have a long sleeved polo from last weekend (not pictured).

Nice find on that! Also on the ties...I accidentally deleted the section as I quoted, but I've never seen a Fabergé tie. If this thread is any indication, I'll find one tomorrow. :D

It's a size 1, whatever that means. Pit to pit is about 62cm. You should definitely go out...I'd love to see what you'd turn up! We had a Swede on here for a little while, but I think he disappeared. I'm sure people would love to see some of that Swedish military stuff that floats around your thrifts, especially the bags and boots.

16. HansderHund

I assumed they were reproductions when I bought them, but I thought I should probably check them out. The date is 1780, but that is the date from Maria Theresa and that coin was produced for years afterwards. I've also seen the same Franz Josef portrait on other coins, but it seems like it's a mix between the two. They didn't appear to be gold when I looked at them, so I didn't think much of them, just thought of wearability. However, stranger things have happened than someone making cufflinks out of rather rare coins :D

17. brianG

brianG Well-Known Member

Smart move. Cool shirt.

18. flirtkakat

Hah size 1 sounds amazingly vague. 62 is a bit too large I'm afraid, thanks though. I'll go out one day and see what I can round up, maybe it'll make for some interesting posts.

19. HansderHund

Thanks! This older couple had a number of cufflinks that were interesting. They were at the flea market and the man said that he'd clean out his drawers and bring some again as he's retired and doesn't need them. He found it interesting that I A) knew what they were; and B) presumably had a use for them.

No worries! Can't wait to see it! I catch up on one of the Stockholm street fashion blogs every once in awhile. It can be interesting, but there is apparently no shortage of Swedish students in goofy glasses and military field jackets running around Swedish universities :happy:

20. flirtkakat

There are plenty of them, sure, but since I myself started dressing "better," I've noticed a fair few people who are put together really well. So aside from the tragedy of overwhelmingly many "hipster" types who wear scarves indoors and hunting jackets without also carrying rifles, there are nice looking Swedes!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.