• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the thrifting of vacation houses!

i know some people who are really into the whole credit card miles/points system. I would say they are the true thrfiters of vacationing, based both on the time, research, and effort they put into the hobby and the value they get out of it!

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i know some people who are really into the whole credit card miles/points system. I would say they are the true thrfiters of vacationing, based both on the time, research, and effort they put into the hobby and the value they get out of it!

I need to get into that; as far as I've gotten is a Delta Skymiles Amex. We need 2 tickets to Germany next year for as little as possible.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

+256

Airbnb ... the thrifting of vacation houses!

My wife and I recently journeyed to Vancouver BC for a wedding and spent the first two nights in an apartment we found on airbnb. The place was great, the price killed what we would have had to pay at a hotel (and we wouldn't have had a full kitchen or, for that matter, all that space). So I'd definitely recommend checking out the site. 

I absolutely love getting a deal when I'm booking a weekend away or a vacation. I will seek things out, compare prices/reviews, etc. It's a process. I will say though, that I also love staying in great hotels and will do so in major cities. If I find a certain hotel chain that I love, I'll book directly through them. I also sign up for all of the free memberships and use them. I think I have a couple of free nights in points that I'll use next time we're in the US.

My wife says she's happy in a simple, clean room. I'm happy when people open doors for me, park my car, greet me with "Good morning, Mr. Hansderhund," bring a newspaper to my room and don't even bother asking if I need help with my luggage, they just do it. It's really a guilty pleasure of mine that I've come to terms with and give in to it a couple of times per year. :embar:

I need to get into that; as far as I've gotten is a Delta Skymiles Amex. We need 2 tickets to Germany next year for as little as possible.

You'll have to make a side trip to Austria or I'll make it towards you. I can get to Munich in 3 or 4 hours by car.

Last edited:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, first: Freaking slow down. Those of us using our BB tether plan to keep up on the thread are using up all our minutes.

Must be from the Westport, CT store. They've lost their minds

I stop there occasionally, theres not much that costs less than $15 in there

I keep telling you effers:
GET THE EFF OFF MY LAWN!!​
(JK, of course)

Those APCs are so nice :slayer:
My find from the day. Oxxford Clothes Houndstooth dated 2000 (not sure if that counts as "recent") Nonetheless, real nice: 3-Roll-2, double vented, ticket pocket, lapel loop. No fiber content tag but my guess is a soft wool. There a chance it could be some sort of casmere or angora blend though. My pictures don't do it justice. Needs a pressing. 42 R, Available for sure!

OMFG, so tempted. Must.... resist....
(But agree: that be a suit. You find those pants, resistance will be futile)

Nice ties. I need to learn more about them. I pass all the time.

Whowiththewhatnow?

Here's what you do:
Step 1: Don't.
Step 2: Repeat step 1.

Approve.

You know you have a thrifting problem when...

Approve.

Oh yeah, and SCORPIOS, FTW!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm headed out today to buy *[someone]*'s Secret Santa gift. :devil: Wish me luck!

tubs

Reaction score
Awesome 46 Plaid Pendleton. AVAILABLE. I picked it up for any SF member.

Is there a term to describe this plaid? I'm afraid I'm not going to find a 36r in one of these anytime soon.

Shoulders: 39.75-40
Chest: 24
Waist: 23.25-23.5
Length: 31
Sleeves 35.75

Ties for me.
Anyone know about Oleg Cassini ties?

Last edited:

tubs

Reaction score
Also passed on this Abercrombie & Fitch vintage blazer that was really nice, but I've already picked up too many things that don't fit for me and my wife is annoyed. Would this be worth picking up? I don't recall seeing a size, but lower 40s probably. It was pretty nice. Is this worth picking up?

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone know about Oleg Cassini ties?

I have much less :teach: than others, but I've almost never been: a) impressed by Cassini; and b) deterred from buying a no-name brand anything for me if I like the color, pattern, feel, fit, etc..

Item b) was invoked recently on a vintage Cassini for Alexander Harvey repp stripe tie that filled a hole (again, I see it; don't care) in my tie constellation, and looked and felt very nice.

Last edited:

Towers

Reaction score
Here are those red wings, didn't kop because I'm not sure I can turn them over but I can proxy for anyone who wants (size 8).

They look like samples or deadstock because they have a few scuffs and the insoles have been cut but the soles have no wear.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Awesome 46 Plaid Pendleton. AVAILABLE. I picked it up for any SF member.

Is there a term to describe this plaid?

Deck the halls plaid, holiday essential!

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And here's the brooch I picked up for my wife's birthday. No ****, literally found it 3 days after she told me to keep an eye out for something similar for her. The one she was looking at was frosted and a pinkish color so I originally didn't grab it. I went back a few days later and it was still there so I bought it. $15, so usually more than I like to spend at a thrift, but very cheap as far as making my wife happy. I thought is probably plastic when I looked at it behind the case, but when I actually had it in my had, it was way heavier than I though it was going to be, leading me to believe it might be legit. I took it down to a jeweler to have it looked at and dude said it was most likely from the turn of the century and hand carved ivory set in 14K gold.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Absolutely beautiful Eazy, great find and what timing!

Things have been pretty slow for me, a few recent finds:

Rad Chester Barrie for Austin Reed (no marked size, 23 p2p)

Polo Down Jacket (M)

Bally PTBs (10.5 US - these are brown, not black)

Alfred Dunhill Houndstooth Flannel w/ Side Adjusters (38 waist, flat front w/ cuffs)

RLPL Cords (41 Waist)

And some fall ties: Lands End Fair Isle, Scottish Blackwatch Tartan, Polo Made in Italy Wool Repp, Carroll & Co. Wool Ducks

All available other than the fair isle tie.

lastdonb

Reaction score
Also passed on this Abercrombie & Fitch vintage blazer that was really nice, but I've already picked up too many things that don't fit for me and my wife is annoyed. Would this be worth picking up? I don't recall seeing a size, but lower 40s probably. It was pretty nice. Is this worth picking up?

PM'd

lastdonb

Reaction score
Didn't Spoo tease some kind of super-mega-awesome item from a consigner, like 10 pages ago? What happened to that?
Check out today's Put This On

http://putthison.com/

Spoo hit the please blog about my items jackpot! They have showcased about 20 of his ebay items, great stuff!

Including the lead picture of his
Edward Green Malvern Mole Suede Malvern Suede Wingtips Shoes 82 Last 9/9.5 NR

Don't want leave any letters left, Vanna White, can I buy a V?

Last edited:

jamiebryant

Reaction score

I wouldve picked it up. Im sure many here wouldve as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads