• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrifter

Reaction score
Maybe this breaks the first and second rule of fight club... but I wonder if it would be possible to establish some standard metrics for thrifting. eg:

-hot streak (store visits per single item with over $100 profit at market)
-grind value (store visits per item with any flippable value)
-sunk cost per visit (gas, time, etc) over net sales
-some way to calculate which stores or neighborhoods are most likely to yeild

At this point I only really buy stuff I need for myself or something I just cant pass up. Mostly because of Canada Post's expensive shipping rates.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe this breaks the first and second rule of fight club... but I wonder if it would be possible to establish some standard metrics for thrifting. eg:
-hot streak (store visits per single item with over $100 profit at market)
-grind value (store visits per item with any flippable value)
-sunk cost per visit (gas, time, etc) over net sales
-some way to calculate which stores or neighborhoods are most likely to yeild
At this point I only really buy stuff I need for myself or something I just cant pass up. Mostly because of Canada Post's expensive shipping rates.
Probably wouldn't work very well as a many of the variables are too random. My advice...go to as many stores as you can as often as you can.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up my first hermes tie at lunch today, although it is missing one of the two labels (the one that says hermes). Also picked up an interesting paul stuart dolphin tie, paul stuart sweater vest, maus and hoffman jacket, giorgio armani tie, and canali orphan (could be SC, haven't looked it over that carefully yet other than checking for holes).

Will post pics tonight. Hitting up a big sale at NM last call after work, on the hunt for more Drakes.

Last edited:

lastdonb

Reaction score
Well Wall Street holiday is over. Picked up a vintage HSM overcoat, slim chance to ever wear in AZ (high going to be 90 today), Couldn't leave it behind, about a size 42 (available)

PTP 22,

Has two small holes, one on the left sleeve, the other on the back of coat

Pair of Born recent chestnut lightly used Chukkas, 10/44, I'm a 9½ and these are too long, I would say they are about 10-10½ B-C, available

Go to my ebay listing for better pictures:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/28101374053...l?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=281013740530&_rdc=1

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

first Kiton (7fold) and some nice charcoal flannels for me

Great time of the year to find an orange tie.

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Picked up my first hermes tie at lunch today, although it is missing one of the two labels (the one that says hermes). Also picked up an interesting paul stuart dolphin tie, paul stuart sweater vest, maus and hoffman jacket, giorgio armani tie, and canali orphan (could be SC, haven't looked it over that carefully yet other than checking for holes).
Will post pics tonight. Hitting up a big sale at NM last call after work, on the hunt for more DRAKES.
Interested to see this.

I am also curious what you pay for THESE. Disregard this statement or pm if you'd like. I find that everything Drakes at the Last Call by me is incredibly over-priced, even with the additional discounts. However, I passed on several T&A ties last time I went, I believe in the $33-40 range, because they did not seem to move. I am sure that was a mistake, but I am not sweating it. I have never really found items that I could move there. Sure, great discounts for self purchase, but not for selling purposes.

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These boots have already brought so much joy to my life just from the comments in this thread.
But, my wife said I couldn't wear them out of the house. Good thing she isn't with me all of the time.
Warmest house slippers ever?

Jpmorris

Reaction score
Those seal skin boots are..... Something. I if rock them out in the snow. You should probably grow a beard to appropriately rock those though. I face of boh also hooked me up with some sick ae Delray in suede! I

evolsty

Reaction score
Two good scores today at Value Village.

The first is an unstructured light pink (or salmon) La Vera Sartoria Napoletana cotton jacket. It's partially lined. Triple patch pocket, 3 roll 2. The sleeves fit perfectly, which is fortunate since it has working cuffs.

The second is a dark green Raf Simons overcoat. The tag indicates it's from the 2000-1 F/W season. It's a 38 (48 European), so too small for me. I'll be chucking it up on eBay.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I passed a pretty recent iMac today. It was tagged €49 and the employee said that it doesn't work. He didn't know anything more about it and just said that non-functioning items are sold without a warranty. Basically it's a big question mark. It looked to me like it was probably a hotel/company computer, though cosmetically it seemed to be in decent condition.
I've never opened one up, so I don't know how difficult it would be to troubleshoot it. So, is it worth the gamble? I have a Macbook, iPad, iPhone, etc. but I've never opened them up. I understand that they're difficult, but does anyone have any general advice? Is it worthwhile to take a shot at it?

I'm surprised they don't have test stations there.

Jesus christ, almighty! Seals! Sorry, G, but you'll have to find some sunglasses to pair those with, 'cuz you'se goin' straight to Hades...
devil.gif

In other news, I think I happened across six or seven 12" GI Joe figures, but I can't for the life of me get Google to tell me whether they're the desirable 60's kind or the 90's replicas. They certainly look old. The most memorable chap had this sort of blond woolen afro, a corresponding beard, and a blank stare. Anyone in the know, pls help a thrift brutha out.

Can you snap a few pics of those when you are there next time? My buddy collect action figures and knows a lot about GI Joe. I'll ask him about the value.

These boots have already brought so much joy to my life just from the comments in this thread.
But, my wife said I couldn't wear them out of the house. Good thing she isn't with me all of the time.

HAHAHAHA!

first Kiton (7fold) and some nice charcoal flannels for me

WHA!!!!!

Those seal skin boots are..... Something. I if rock them out in the snow. You should probably grow a beard to appropriately rock those though. I face of boh also hooked me up with some sick ae Delray in suede! I

You what, bro...Uhhhh, bad reception? LOL

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone interested in a pair of size 32 LVC 501 selvedge 1966 jeans? The Levi's outlet store across the street is having a sale on those for about $70.

http://www.sidmashburn.com/shop/jeans/1966-501r.html

I'm happy to proxy folks a pair or two, cost + shipping in exchange for some good back scratching points!

I've already proxyed 2 pairs and am going back today for another pair. I think they are out of 34. I've seen a few pairs in size 32. PM me and I'll check for you guys.

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two good scores today at Value Village.
The first is an unstructured light pink (or salmon) La Vera Sartoria Napoletana cotton jacket. It's partially lined. Triple patch pocket, 3 roll 2. The sleeves fit perfectly, which is fortunate since it has working cuffs.

The second is a dark green Raf Simons overcoat. The tag indicates it's from the 2000-1 F/W season. It's a 38 (48 European), so too small for me. I'll be chucking it up on eBay.

That's pretty sick. I can't think of another Raf Simons find in here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads