1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. almosthandsome

almosthandsome Well-Known Member

When I'm back on my feet I may have to pick your brain, you know, so your route stays warm [​IMG] Best of luck in Florida, man. I know the weather will be a change!

2. Friskydingo

Friskydingo Well-Known Member

Feel free to send me a PM whenever you want. Hope you get out of that chair soon (if you aren't already)

3. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

I can't even begin to imagine the worry and scare this caused. Your wife and child will be in our prayers.

We've had a "boutique" Goodwill store for a pretty long time. The people who pick this stuff from the back rooms really know their labels. They've picked the most recent, obscure labels that most people wouldn't even care to give a second look. It's scary. It irritates me to know that if they didn't have full-time employees picking though the racks in the backroom this stuff would have been fair game to a lot of customers.

4. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

The GW Boutiques here don't have a clue. If something is NWT, they snatch it up. Lots of Haggar, Stafford. Sometimes they even get *gasp* Izod. I'll keep getting my Brooks Brothers fix at the regular thrifts.

5. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Well-Known Member

First, congratulations on your new addition. I am so happy to hear your family is doing better, and hope you guys get to go home soon. I love hearing these stories when they have a happy ending. NICU nurses and doctors are some of the most incredible.
    I am not too far from you (St. Pete area). I hit up Orlando only once (about 3-4 stores during my ungrad stint there) and had the same impression. BUT they have some great outlets and premium shopping so stuff is bound to show up. Hang around winter park, near the mall of millenia...etc etc. I walked into NM Last call in Orlando and they had some serious stuff (I recall an awesome TF overcoat in a glass case for some obscene amount).

6. Garasaki

Garasaki Well-Known Member

Lots of smiles

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thinkin I did something right here...

[​IMG]

Moment of truth...try out the fit....

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Do I stand a snowballs chance at getting 2 or 3 inches out of those sleeves.........?

1 person likes this.
  7. thriftydood

thriftydood Well-Known Member

Congrats, and best wishes for you and your family.

8. concealed

concealed Well-Known Member

Nice trousers.

1 person likes this.
  9. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

10. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

Maybe its just me, but those patterns don't go together so well... maybe if the jacket had a red overcheck?

11. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Well-Known Member

I can't imagine what's getting plucked if they're passing over EG

12. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Well-Known Member

Naw you're screwed, better off selling it.

On the plus side, maybe you can sell it to the same guy who will inevitably buying the T-Rex armed Helmut Lang blazer I picked up today.

13. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

R

Let's see it, this could be me!

(Also please go broke and sell me that AP zip blazer, pronto).

14. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  15. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Well-Known Member

:brohug:

16. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

:brothanks: to everyone.

We have plenty of family and friend support, but this community is a part of tha, for me anyway.

Hey, at least I'm wearing selvedge and Brioni in the hospital. Priorities, amirite?

Edit: I think it was fairly obvious, but just in case, I was kidding.

(It was rlpl). :hides:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
    2 people like this.
  17. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Well-Known Member

Praying for you and your family, bro. Best wishes.

18. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Well-Known Member

You posted tons of great stuff, but this is grail city for me. Vintage wool knitwear is often done very well and has a flattering, slim fit with high armholes. I've been obsessed with vintage knits of late and would love to find more. That embroidered name is just tits.

19. s_allen_p

s_allen_p Well-Known Member

Thanks. It put a big smile on my face when I pulled it off the rack...and then it fit. I'd been looking all winter for a store in my area stocking similar sweaters from either North Sea Clothing or HNS Herning. Couldn't find one. Couldn't believe I thrifted a vintage one. Same goes for the Golden Bear coat I found. Been looking all winter for one like it in my size. Sucks I have to wait 9 months or so to wear it out, though, EvilAbhed caught me wearing the coat on a day not quite cold enough to warrant it. My office is freezing. They can't get the air conditioning to shut off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.