1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MZhammer

MZhammer Well-Known Member

Looks legit to me. And like you said it's 100% wool, not Cashmere, but you would expect RLPL to use excellent wool which may be why it feels so nice. If it were a fake I'd assume they'd prefer to say Cashmere due to the higher associated price. It would make no sense to make it out of Cashmere and call it out as Wool.
    If it fits and feels quality who cares? Keep it!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  2. highvoltorb

highvoltorb Well-Known Member

Deets?

3. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Well-Known Member

As with everyone else, hang in there and best wishes. Now's the time to spoil the two little ones that are at home (and your wife too). NICU nurses and docs are some of the most passionate people you could meet - I know it'll work out fine.

4. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Well-Known Member

yamaha stage custom shells with a metal snare (and evans e2 heads)
    sound percussion hardware
    pork pie throne
    k custom cymbals

5. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Well-Known Member

Some finds from over the w/e I haven't had a chance to post...

First these are new or NWOT and acquired at steeply discounted prices:

Two pairs of NWT tags Jack Spade Twill Khakis in size 34 in Dark Khaki...retail $165 on the tag...the Jack Spade website now has them listed at $175.00 .... Available

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A pair of NWOT J Brand Darren in size 30 in Canyon.... Available

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now to thrift finds...

Not 1, not 2, but 3 pairs of 40x33 Bills Khakis cords with dry cleaning tags on them. I'll probably keep one pair and sell the other two.

[​IMG]

And two cool Civil War Grant/Lee prints....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Well-Known Member

Luxe jean day? Not selvedge kittens but not bad either

[​IMG]

and some incotex
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. almosthandsome

almosthandsome Well-Known Member

+1
    About 6 months ago the wife and I were getting our tour of the maternity section at the hospital our daughter would be born at (our first.) During the course of it I find out the nurse guiding the tour got her start 30 years prior working the NICU at the hospital I was born at. Weighing just 2 pounds at birth without lungs developed and a laundry list of other premi-problems, I was one of her first charges. Wasn't exactly the dark ages back then, but I came out fine. These people have a passion for kiddos and moms and the tech is simply amazing now. You guys are in great hands.

8. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

Redaelli

1 person likes this.
  9. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

All these high-end denim finds are killing me....

All I pulled today were a few shirts and a pair of shorts.

Skeet Rag #5... XXL, last one in this size was a pretty penny.

[​IMG]

Orvis Camp Shirt -Linen/Cotton blend -Medium
    [​IMG]

Pen West short sleeve shirt (vintage large)
    [​IMG]

Orvis Camp Shirt -Cotton -Medium
    [​IMG]

Izod Madras shorts for myself...
    [​IMG]

10. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Well-Known Member

Help. At some point I read some piece on SF or elsewhere about searching for buttons on eBay for sport coats. found buttons, bought them, etc. This article explained what search operators would narrow things down.

I need 2 sets right now for a couple coats...and Jo-Ann sucks.

I've bought sets in the past on eBay! But when I search tonight, it's all lots for coats bragging about the buttons in the listing titles. How to I narrow the x thousand lots down to show actual button lots?

Thank you.

11. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how to do what you're asking but I'm looking for buttons too and found this eBay store.
    http://stores.ebay.com/buttonsandtrim52
    Can you go into these listings and then see if there's a Search For Similar Items button?

12. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

Narrow the search under the sewing categories. That's where I list them when I have them.

13. hooker4186

hooker4186 Well-Known Member

Speaking of ridiculous thrift prices, I saw an Express blazer at a thrift today for $49.99. WTF.

14. Friskydingo

Friskydingo Well-Known Member

I'm hoping to make it too south florida for some thrifting one of these days, but don't hold your breath for thrift finds from up here. Maybe a thrift meet up?

Well this is probably true for a lot of cities, but portland has a population of 580,00 and Orlando has 238,00. Orlando also has more high end stores, maybe I just haven't hit the right stores yet.

You are totally right about out of control pricers at goodwill in Oregon. Every single item is individually priced, and I have seen some INSANE prices on stuff (they must think Pendleton is pure gold). A lot of really good stuff slips through the cracks though. Kiton jeans were $6.99 and so were the Rogans. The only thing they regularly catch is Versace stuff, in my experience.

15. Shiny

Shiny Well-Known Member

GMMcL,
    Congrats on the new arrival and prayers forthcoming for a quick and speedy recovery. Tell your wife to take it easy esp. when they let her go home.

16. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

Best to your wife and daughter for a speedy recovery.

Best to you in 18 years when you have 3 teenage girls. Drinks on me.

I got you on this. Remind me.

17. almosthandsome

almosthandsome Well-Known Member

Read an article touting the success of the "boutique" model that Portland Goodwills pioneered and how they hoped to expand it to other locales soon [​IMG]. Also noted that upwards of 80% of their boutique stock came from the Lake Oswego donation center (richer bedroom community, for non-PNWesters). My first time thrifting in P-town was maddening till I figured out the GW game up there. Not even worth the stop after travel time from down south. RedWhite&Blue can be fun, but they'll never stop putting metal spikes through the leather shoes and stapling the shit out of ties [​IMG]

18. Friskydingo

I actually ended up going to the boutique stores with some of my lady friends on a fairly frequent bases, and never once found something of particularly high quality let alone decent price. Never did anything for me.

Portland always treated me really well, and I did a run down I5 to at least Salem for just thrifting at least once a week. You just have to know what stores to hit on what day.

19. ruben

ruben Well-Known Member

Do you guys still pick up Zanellas when you see them?

I used to (mainly to sell on ebay to subsidize my own purchases) but lately they don't seem to sell for much, and I've been finding more and more of them languishing for weeks on thrift store racks.

My local goodwill just put out like a dozen pairs, all recent, normal colors good condition, in the old days I'd have picked them all up, but now I'm wondering if they'd fallen out of favor or something.

20. Friskydingo

I will only consider picking them up if they don't have any pleats.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.