1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Well-Known Member

Mindblowing.

2. aglose

aglose Well-Known Member

Yeah it's a both a gift and a curse.

3. Randomore

Randomore Well-Known Member

My god...

4. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Well-Known Member

And while we're on the subject of fit pics (are we even?), here's a rubbish elevator selfie from earlier today.

[​IMG]

Jacket - Taylor Supply Co. grey herringbone Roosevelt - from Nat (thanks again!)
    Shirt - BoO light blue/white stripe oxford - eThrift
    Pants - Coppley grey single pleat - thrift
    Shoes - AE Byron black oxfords - from hooker4186 (thanks again!)

1 person likes this.
  5. Stewie

Stewie Well-Known Member

SW & D finds...both new...unworn.

John Varvatos Parisian Chelsea Boots

[​IMG]

John Varvatos Fleetwood Boots ...missing laces, oh well :)

[​IMG]

Guess it makes up for the all day bust in LA yesterday...still looking for a couple places LA guys...it's not like I would be there every week....maybe just once every two or three months! I promise I wont take all the good stuff!

6. sparrow

sparrow Well-Known Member

the grey ones are nice!

7. HansderHund

HansderHund Well-Known Member

A couple of interesting finds today. I don't hear much about pipe smoking on this forum, but I thought I'd share (not a collector really):

I've flipped over hundreds (if not thousands) of lighters in the search for a Dunhill. This is the closest I've come.

Dunhill shell pipe:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dunhill pipe reamer, in its original box/pouch:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nice Persols....unfortunately prescription.
    [​IMG]

8. HansderHund

HansderHund Well-Known Member

Since it's slow around here today (thread was on the second page!), I'd add what must have been a donation from an American. It's a PRL shirt with the purple label, 100% Sea Island Cotton and made in Singapore. Really nice shirt and I would have grabbed it for someone here, but they wanted €12 or €13 for it.

[​IMG]

This was my first coffee/cake sitting outside this spring. I'm not normally in the habit of taking pictures of my food, but I originally took a picture to send to my wife to show her how bad the waiter was. We always roll our eyes when we see him at this cafe, and this time he set my cake, coffee and water at the end of the table next to me, on the opposite side. I had to get up, walk to the other side and bring it all over. #Firstworldproblems, right? Well it still annoys me as he expects a tip when he didn't even put a bit of care into a simple activity. /rant

Anyway, cake was good and I had missed sitting outside.

[​IMG]

9. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I can't offer any info but it looks like a really cool shirt! Nice find!
    Wow........ :wow:
    :slayer: So glad to see it worked for you! Looks like it fits great!

10. sanchito

sanchito Well-Known Member

PM sent for the plaid SC

11. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

I hate it when all the winter stuff goes away for the summer months, nothing but shirts and ties. On that note, I picked up a BB extra slim fit shirt in my size today. :facepalm:

12. Daisy

Daisy New Member

OK, I've picked up a handful of awesome thrift shop items, perhaps you can help me get some more. Here's the rub, I'm 6'5", so most thrift shops don't carry 44XL / 44L jackets or 17.5x37 shirts. Are there any stores or sites that cater to those of us who are taller than average?

Thanks, in advance, for the wonderful help!

13. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

Since Hans mentioned it being slow around here, I thought I'd share a thrift related project I've been working on.
    I'm a fan of old steamer trunks, so when I see one with some potential, I usually grab it. I've got 3 so far and am always looking to add more to the stack, as I find them to be ascetically pleasing and they go together well with the other antique furniture I've acquired over the years. I've had these two sitting in my dining room for the past couple months and recently decided I was going to paint them, as one of them was a rather ugly shit color.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The little one I painted a color called "deep forest pine" and the larger one will be a dark blue called "sailboat". I huge improvement, if I do say so myself.
    [​IMG]
    I still need to remove the paint from the fittings and do some detailing on the black parts, but otherwise, one down and one to go.

2 people like this.
  14. Randomore

Been real dry lately.

Couple finds

NWT BR Seersucker for the bay. A couple ties. AE "cole" loafers for me. Corneliani Oxford shirt getting the treatment.

[​IMG]

15. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

I know this isn't a Macclesfield pattern, but what do you guys think of this tie as in.... Is it a wedding appropriate tie?

[​IMG]

16. Randomore

Since its been dry lately. Thrift fit.

Epaulet shirt (thrifted)
    WvG sweater (traded on B&S)
    West is Dead chinos (Buffalo Exchange)
    Sperry Boat shoes (thrifted)

[​IMG]

17. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Well-Known Member

Looks great, Eazy!

Like the fit, Rando.

I was hoping someone here might be able to give me some help IDing the following:

[​IMG]

Beautiful brown shell longwings, mabye around a 12, problem is these are the only markings anywhere on the shoe:

[​IMG]

I showed them to the Cap'n, and he ruled out Hanover for Bostonian. Posted them on the labels/heels threads but nothing so far.

More details here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any ideas?

And a thrift fit from yesterday:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jacket: Polo DB by Corneliani (Ebay)
    Shirt: Brooks Brothers (Winter Sale)
    Tie: Vintage BB Made in the UK Wool/Silk (thrift)
    Square: No Name English Silk (thrift)
    Pants; Howard Yount (sale)
    Shoes: Allen Edmonds (thrift)

18. JackFlash

JackFlash Well-Known Member

If original, does the dovetail heel help narrow things down? You don't find this from most - particularly the budget - makers.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  19. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Well-Known Member

Quick story my coworker (a thrifting regular for records/stereo stuff mostly) just told me... he was dropping off a couple crates of records he cleaned out of his collection last night. Mostly classic rock stuff, a bunch had the Goodwill tags still on them when I looked through them this morning. The guy at Goodwill unloading them for him first asked "anything collectible in here?" and the told him how he just started working at Goodwill again recently and it's really helped his record collection. Knowing how fast records fly off the shelves here, I took that for basically being told "we're taking all the good stuff here first" :paranoia:

20. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

Cool fit Dockers! I'm still waiting on that perfect blue DB. How do you like the Howard Yount trousers? I've been thinking about ordering a pair from them, but I'm not sure on the cut.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.