1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Well-Known Member

WTF? [​IMG] Spooky thrift story, part VII In other news, I think I was the straw that broke Lilly Pulitzer's back. I was going to wear the only item of hers I own--an orange polka dot tie--to church yesterday, which I had gotten out and arranged on my clothes rack (yeah, wife got me one for birthday, it's awesome, although at times I feel like a certain compulsive SF WAYWRN veteran who likes to poast pix of his fit and then what the outfit looked like on his clothes rack) until I changed my mind and put it away and instead busted out the orange orvis gingham and solid blue Panta in my fit pic yesterday...when I got home from church the news was out she croaked. [​IMG] R.I.P., you. You have achieved thrift store immortality, your fun colored stuff will jump out among the Bill Blass and Oscar de la Renta and Geoffrey Beene crap forever and fool us into thinking we've found Brioni. Oh, and in the grayest, crappiest depths of winter, your garments will remind us spring will come, eventually. In still other news, 42R brethren, this is available Thick wool Orvis blue patch pocket blazer in flat-out awesome shape if ur looking for one. PM [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Lastly:
    I am a Washington fan. Fave SI of all time, representing the best football day of my life. I sent him a copy at Grambling to sign for me, which he did. One of the few sports memorabilia items I've kept (sold most of everything I'd accumulated)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

They are straight fit, not slim. I wouldn't wear then with a shirt tie SC unless it was super country and casual. I normally Rock em with some boots.

3. Bogdan

Bogdan Active Member

Hi there everyone!
    Got these Corneliani Sportswear cotton-linen pants, looks like an orphaned suit part.Great condition though and what a great colour!
    Anyone interested?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. IRKSM

IRKSM Well-Known Member

uh oh I don't know if I can roll with these big dogs but I will try...
    I am taking the tux to my tailor tomorrow and there will likely be a couple week turn around, and I am waiting for my online mtm tux shirt to come but I should be able to post the fit within the month.
    also you said no smoking jacket!! that makes the competition unfair [​IMG]

5. IRKSM

IRKSM Well-Known Member

I just need to say again how cool I think you are fueco, you seem to have had a cool life and pretty much destroy everyone here in outdoor knowledge (lets go camping)

I have a pair of lvc 505s and they fit straight up skinny I was disappointed I was looking for an 8-8.5 inch leg opening and they have like a 7.5. I was going to keep them dark and crispy so I could wear them with a tie or tweed jacket or whatever if I wanted to, but now since they are so slim I just let them stack above my chelsea and cowboy boots

6. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Well-Known Member

I never find anything newish tie wise by Lily Pulitzer. If I did I'd pick it up. Love the bright colors.

7. Patrologia

Patrologia Well-Known Member

Cop or not? This is NOT an eBay question. I have never worn an unstructured cotton SC, but this one caught my eye. Am I going to be disappointed or pleased with Paul Smith Sportswear? Sorry, I don't have a full shot, but you can see the pattern. Only structural element seems to be light shoulder padding. Lapels are at a normal point-not top of shoulder, not nipples. What else to check for, or just avoid? I'll go back later if I get encouragement.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

Man, I would love to participate in this one. Sadly, have been unable to thrift (stores or ebay) a decent tuxedo for a more, ah, portly figure. That said, if anyone comes across a decent 44-46R with a 42 waist tux, get at me.

9. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Well-Known Member

Holy hell. I've oogled this actual Margiela sweater on multiple occassions on a retailer's website.

10. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

If it's cheap go for it. But it's one of PS' diffusion lines. Not very high quality.

The good stuff is Paul Smith London (Made in Italy - half canvassed) and Paul Smith Mainline (his runway line - made in Japan, Belgium, etc...).

11. FillW

FillW Well-Known Member

I saw a mint Sansui AU-515 Integrated Amplifier at a Goodwill a few years ago for $78.00 and passed on it cause I didn't know what it was. I wanted a silver Kenwood amp. [​IMG]

12. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

Lucky bastard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]
    Y U NO 32???!!! If it were, I'll be all over this bad boy!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. brianG

brianG Well-Known Member

I found a nice stash of these Proof NY tailored blazers, brand new. Proof NY is a company based out of NYC, making similar products to Outlier; tailored cycling apparel, with technical fabrics, made in the USA.
    [​IMG]

14. caseyfud

caseyfud Well-Known Member

you're young and sexy mane its finna be no contest

1 person likes this.
  15. dustinmyself

dustinmyself Well-Known Member

Hook it up! I'm roughly a size medium too ;)

16. Bogdan

Bogdan Active Member

Ah, you're the second one that asks that exact same question[​IMG].
    I am 32 myself and these are just too big...

Meanwhile, another find:
    Burberry's Vintage Wool Vest, made in Western Germany[​IMG]. That was a part of a suit too, but I've only managed to get the jacket and vest - no pants[​IMG].
    MINT CONDITION, except two small marks, not visible when worn.I think they should come off after dry clean - I just don't have a good one in my neighborhood. Label on jacket says 106.
    I can sell to anyone interested this vest alone, or with jacket.
    P.S. The jacket is on sale here, you can check the photos in my classifieds.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. MZhammer

MZhammer Well-Known Member

Just one find today, AE park aves in black. 8-1/2 EEE and they're available for trade or to thrift regulars.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. elev8rz

elev8rz Well-Known Member

Authenticity check please? I've found Coach belts before, but never in this style. The emblem has always been horizontal and I've never seen a big X.

[​IMG]

19. ATLjon

ATLjon Well-Known Member

Ties:

[​IMG]

I got the Joseph & Lyman because it seemed like a nice spring tie.

A first for me: Filson size 48 (definitely not my size). I passed on a vintage ('80s) Abercrombie Safari shirt in the same size.

[​IMG]

Another first. Check another Row tailor off the list:

(I'm pretty sure this is cashmere, or at least a high-cashmere blend.) It's probably around the same size as the Filson.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Well-Known Member

Wow! :drool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.