1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

Whoa, what? I would have snagged the pair on the right in a heartbeat if my size. They look like nice shoes to me....

2 people like this.
  2. pnutpug

pnutpug Well-Known Member

I thought the same.

1 person likes this.
  3. IRKSM

IRKSM Well-Known Member

favorite find since my last favorite find which was the single breasted 1 button midnight blue shawl collar tuxedo in my size which no one seemed to care about despite it being arguably the perfect formalwear option...
    sick ass duffel with detachable hood that fits me like a glove (a loose glove...) NA
    [​IMG]
    made in austria
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

5. IRKSM

IRKSM Well-Known Member

true, barrel is the only homie, also I would have been wearing it on the train which would mean I would be wearing a tuxedo before 6 so I would get beaten up by the #menswear police

6. CesarC

CesarC Well-Known Member

Hahahaha, nice. I noticed this tux, too, thought it was nice, don't remember if I commented. Maybe not. Even though it's not ball season anymore (prom season maybe? Might be going to a prom soon...), it would be cool if we could do a thrift thread formalwear challenge, even in a sub-thread maybe. I think someone else mentioned this before but didn't see it take-off. I know it's great to see guys on here with different tastes and styles, but I think formalwear would provide a sufficiently restricted regime for such an undertaking. Maybe two categories: black tie and white tie? Oh, and I promise not to wear the silk smoking jacket [​IMG]

7. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Well-Known Member

Y'all are more experienced than I, but I was skeptical. The brogue holes are really big, and the leather seemed kinda puffy and cheap - which surprised me, because I know Loakes have a good name. These pics might show it better.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Am I crazy?

8. dexconstruct

dexconstruct Well-Known Member

Woah.

9. themixscientist

themixscientist New Member

10. themixscientist

themixscientist New Member

Yesssirrr!!!

11. barrelntrigger

[​IMG]
    WTF?! Wait a minute...How old are you, again? [​IMG]

12. Digmenow

Digmenow Well-Known Member

Add me to the crowd of admirers! Great stuff. [​IMG]

13. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

Wait till I get mine back from the tailor in a few days [​IMG] SO EXCITED

14. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

Quoting won't work. Shame, because I multied like 20 people and now I can't remember which ones.

Andro: I HEREBY DECLARE THIS THREAD .... REDEEMED.
    Nice work, son. Everyone -- I'm looking at you, GMMcL -- take note and emulate.

T&A shirt haul guy: This got lost in review. Nice haul. PM sent

Fit guy with the gray jacket and dark trou: Others have commented and I agree: waist needs nipping, SCALE of the shirt and jacket pattern is a tad too close. As someone who has struggled with this for some time, it takes a LONG time to master (and I haven't yet). But my only advice (given to me by both Dig and Spoo, and many others, but I had to mature and come to it myself before I took it): Go back to basics. Start solids first. Build into pattern mix, and aim for subtlety. Also, it's generally preferred here on SF to do the weightier color on the top. That's not to say you can't ever do a dark trou, but it usually has to be anchored by something equally dark up top. The jacket and tie are generally of a lighter "Value" than those trou, so nothings anchoring it. And yes, those sleeves are a tad short, and the trou a tad long (OH THE BITTER IRONY THAT I SHOULD NIT PICK TROU LENGTH!!). Don't be discouraged, though. The fundamentals are there. Keep trying and keep posting. You shall improve.

Loak and Grenson guy: You asked whether you're crazy. No, you sir are INSANE. Go. Back. Nao. Staple brown shoes of good quality that seem to be in decent condition. And if they are 10.5-11D, PM my ass.

Lookn Gr8: Do love those trou. Is that called Donnegal weave?

To all the others whose stuff I multi'd: I'm sorry! Your stuff was cool! But quoting isn't working!

15. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Well-Known Member

Now all you need is an antique wardrobe owned by an RAF fighter pilot made from alternating panels of birdseye and tiger maple harvested from the swamps of Dunkirk or whatever...to store all these museum pieces! I often see military (or firefighter parade gear) and am tempted because of all the cool swag & the fact they give you names of firemen and servicemen (and women) to research -- and they have real stories--but don't I go down that path because once I start, my family will get pissed at me for co-opting space in their bedrooms for storage, ha.

E, I like the coat you're wearing. H-F has some great patterns/colors. They have an outlet too up the street from Orvis, but I can only ever afford to touch ties, pocket squares and an occasional shirt. Cashmere everywhere, there! $$$$$ though even half off. Luckily we find H-F at thrft stores everywhere because it's built so well and stands the test of time. Agree with Andro on the pants.

As for the tweed Barbour coats (I have 2, both of the forest green variety)...thanks. I originally bought them last summer to flip, they were samples. Just happened to fit me. No takers here. It took them a while to grow on my and a few months later (I bought them July 4 weekend, they are very warm jackets) I finally sprang to get the sleeves right-lengthened and have worn them steadily this fall/winter.

Since I haven't done it in a while and I got my new Orvis tablecloths and am feeling a tad spring-y today...church thrift fit:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

100% cashmere no-name jacket (Alexander Julian) from brianpore
    Bostonian crown windsor pebblegrain shoes
    noname (Fratelli? Gianelli?) super 140s cashmere blend pantaloons
    orvis shirt
    panta from spoo tie

Tell me your thoughts on pocket square, couldn't decide which to wear (alternate choice: White linen) is it too much or just right? Thax

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  16. barrelntrigger

Bravo! I've just finished reading it on the vintage thread. What a well written piece. How do you store these works for art? How long did it take you to write this?

17. arnathor

arnathor Well-Known Member

Latest Thrift/Clearance Finds
    Nothing too Styleforum-ish, but a useful little haul. Waiting on a custom Ratio Clothing 1/8th Navy Gingham Cutaway! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    {Polo Ralph Lauren Ivy Cap - $20.00 @ Niagara Fashion Outlet PRL Shop}

[​IMG]
    {Navy Lacoste Short Sleeve Polo w/ Smoked MoP Buttons Size 5 - $6.99 @ Burlington Value Village}

[​IMG]
    {Scotch & Soda Grey Dunagrees? 33x34 (available) - $6.99 @ Hamilton Mountain Talize}

[​IMG]
    {Dockers D1 Montana Khaki Chino 34x30 (Wears like Flood Pants, which I like, also very soft.) - $5.99 @ Talize Hamilton Mountain}

18. CesarC

CesarC Well-Known Member

Well, yes, mostly -- we did permanently lose a knowledgeable contributing member -- but at least we're back on track.
    Turned 27 last month [​IMG]
    Lol, was trolling / deliberately misleading. It's not a high school prom, it's a law school prom (because they have those, apparently).

19. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

20. Shiny

Shiny Well-Known Member

^^^ Lookngr8, I like the shoulders on the SC :thumbsup:

The colors on the SC and pants are a little to close. I like a little more contrast if I wear a SC pants combo. PS looks ok.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.