1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shiny

Shiny Well-Known Member

Very cool. You are definitely a scholar about this stuff :slayer: I've only browsed Spoos vintage thread but perhaps a cross post would be in order (?)

1 person likes this.
  2. Randomore

Randomore Well-Known Member

I read the whole thing. Awesome post. Wish I found museum worthy clothing as well.

3. R01gt

R01gt Well-Known Member

Recently had a pretty nice shirt score - all Turnbull & Asser from same store during a sale day so ~$4 each:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

Please unspoiler this and put this in full glory in my vintage thread, it would be an asset. I implore you.

1 person likes this.
  5. Stewie

Stewie Well-Known Member

Finally someone who captures the true essence of this thread! This is what thrifting is all about! :cheers:

6. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

^^^^^^ Holy fucking shit! Those are all faaaaaaaaaaantastic! And one of the most enjoyable posts I've read in a long time. As someone who is in school for fashion (I hate that word) but more importantly, garment construction (literally my first class) this is really fascinating stuff. Good job sir!

7. AndroFan

AndroFan Well-Known Member

Quoting is DOA for me for some reason, but sincerely, thanks gents...I honestly had fun with the post and didn't anticipate it would be so well received. I'm really glad you guys get as much of a kick out of this stuff as I do. I'll certainly cross-post, thanks.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  8. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

For real, nearly brought a tear to my eye (I've been drinking). And on a side note, I'm glad you brought back Robert Graham guy as your Avatar. :slayer:

9. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Well-Known Member

thats a great quindici retail over 250 and rare nice find!,

10. AndroFan

AndroFan Well-Known Member

Thanks! Haha, though not intentional, the irony of rocking the Graham avatar in my last post is pretty awesome.

11. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

Amazing post! Also, congrats on the Carceni! Very nice!
    I'm jealous! I would be very much broke if I lived near one of these. Nice buys - love the ginghams! On a side note, I see my brag post photo of the Wigens hats/caps are the banner photo for the Thrift Thread on the side bar (on the right side of this page). Cool but confusing. So many awesome photos to pick from and that one appears.

12. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

PM sent (if still available)... if they are "to slim" for me and anyone else want 2nd dibs PM me [​IMG]

NICE! Loving the shirts and the pants [​IMG]

13. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Well-Known Member

yeah quoting is wonky at the moment but Nataku, my closet is slowly being taken over by Orvis stuff. That and getting picky on the eBay is what I'm spending all the spoils of your and spoo's auctions on...

They don't have French cuffs, they don't have a lot of "non sporting" stuff, so there's only so far one can ride the Orvis train. But between this outlet (and the barbour across the parking lot) and the mothership in Manchester VT I've gotten so much great stuff including half my sweaters, vests, tweed jackets, my boss Col Littleton/Griffin/Orvis iPad case...like this one...60% off at Manchester...I bought this before I bought the iPad it was such a good deal, had the empty case floating around my office for months....

[​IMG]

that col littleton company, BTW, is strange and peculiar and awesome. Weird little handmade leather goods co's all are, I guess

14. hooker4186

hooker4186 Well-Known Member

I've been suffering a serious drought lately, but I haven't had a chance to get out as much as well due to a new job.

Unworn Aldens, 12.5 A/C
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Minty Brooks Brothers lambswool v-neck 42
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

From over here, the sleeves are too short. The pants are a bit long. I personally prefer one inch break. Shirt pattern and SC pattern is too similar. I wouldn't do checks on checks. I would do...Uhhh...IDK, stripes, dots, or solids...You can't go wrong solids.
    [​IMG] Need to google closest Orvis Outlet Store.

16. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

Looks like this might have gotten lost in the the last few posts, so I'll offer some pointers, although, I'm by no means an expert. You're on the right track, and I dig what you got going on here. First off, the jacket sleeves are a smidge too short. The shirt pattern is too close in scale to the pattern of the jacket, maybe a solid color shirt would work better. And the same goes for the tie, maybe just a solid navy blue? Overall, I like it, it just needs a little tweaking. Edit: That sport coat is shuweet! Double edit, looks like Barrel beat me to it. Although, I don't think you really need to fuck with the break on the trousers. :devil: Maybe a touch, but I don't think anybody outside of SF will really notice the difference.

17. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

Big shout outs to CesarC for an excellent trade! I now got another tweed plus a crazy ass patched Donegal tweed waist coat! Gonna rock the shit out of it until I get arrested by the fashion police or the SF Troll, which ever comes first!!!

18. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Well-Known Member

To that I'll add that the sport coat looks, to me, to be just a bit big (everywhere but the sleeves). Together with the break in your pants it makes it look a bit like you're wearing a taller person's clothes. Maybe hem to slight or no break? It might mesh a bit better with the dandyish look of the fit as well.

19. pnutpug

pnutpug Well-Known Member

You're right about the cable housing.

20. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

+1. Great work. Thanks for sharing your treasures. I hope this post inspires others in the same vein. This is way more enjoyable than "Here is everything I found today; will be on eBay shortly."

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.