1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MartiniGirl

MartiniGirl Well-Known Member

Thank you! I've been quite nervous about doing it. It's a 2 button closure and single vented. I rock that shit everywhere I go! It's unbelievably comfortable too!

2. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

Awesome to see you post a fit, Wes. For me, it's much cooler to see pics of people wearing their finds. I dig the colors. Not sure if you are seeking feedback, but a few ideas: the very short jacket and the wide-leg trousers cut a boxy figure; two or three more inches on the jacket and a gently tapered leg would flatter you. The white french cuff spread collar (super formal) is incongruous with the rest of the fit (casual); try a button down collar and barrel cuffs. And just say no to kilties :)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  3. Patrologia

Patrologia Well-Known Member

That is a pretty cool sweater.
    Got one question though, you post a thrift fit pic in which you don't show us the only thing technically thrifted?

I'm just giving you a hard time. :nodding:

4. MartiniGirl

Lol I figured nobody would want to see jeans in the Classic Menswear section. Isn't jeans more suited to SW&D? Thought I'd show off the sweater blazer, as it's something that isn't seen as often. [​IMG]

Quote: I'm diggin the sweater blazer. The shirt reminds me of Affliction. Nice fit pic!

Thank you! I actually didn't realize it looked like Affliction til you mentioned that! Lol.

5. Raist

Raist Active Member

I'm diggin the sweater blazer. The shirt reminds me of Affliction. Nice fit pic!

6. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

Love the sweater! I agree with Raist about the t-shirt, though. Too Affliction-y for my tastes and doesn't really fit the vibe of the R&B. I think a solid white shirt (button down or t-shirt) and perhaps some black leggings or slim black jeans would go a lot better. Really glad to see you're sticking around and comfortable enough to do a fit pic. Took me a good 7 years to do that. :laugh:

7. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

^ Solid suggestions from Nataku, MartiniGirl. I think I recognize that Rag and Bone—Nordstrom Rack?

8. MartiniGirl

Awe! Thank you! I can't do plain shirts, not enough character. You just want to see my ass in leggings! Lol, I kid! [​IMG] I will try better though. Also, got a question... I have a Theory white blazer (actual blazer, not a sweater blazer) with black pinstripes.... What would be the best outfit for that? I have a pair of gray slacks. Would that be too much? I bought a pair of white and black heels to go with it. But would like some opinions, in case any of you awesome guys have a white blazer!

9. MartiniGirl

Yeah, it was a great suggestion! I do have a pair of black jeans too! I didn't get it from Nordstrom Rack either. Try again... [​IMG]

10. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I think it's hard to pull off pinstripes blazers...My take on rocking those is to make it as casual and over the top as you can. I would rock it with some red pants or red leggings...

11. Randy

Randy Well-Known Member

Nice!!!

There was a Holubar store here in the Twin Cities. Opened summer (July, I think) on '77 and closed in 1982 if I recall correctly when they were bought out by The North Face and the store turned into a North Face store. Very nice stuff.

Quote: Actually there was, but nothing to the extent that we have today. REI, EMS, North Face, Bugaboo, Kelty, Wilderness Experience, Class 5, Gerry and lots of lesser-known labels that have since then disappeared were out there back in the 70's. Finding out about them was a different story if your local mountaineering shop didn't carry them. You found out about new companies and such from reading magazines like Wilderness Camping and Backpacker. Nothing like that we have now with internet access and nation-wide marketing. Some of the lesser-known labels from Calif and Colorado had a hard time reaching customers on the other side of the country and simply didn't last. Others gained momentum and got bigger and bigger. Class 5 was based in Berkeley and had started in the early 70's. By the late 1970's Daytons Department store here in Minnesota carried a few of their outerwear offerings. I have no clue why they went under, though.

All very interesting! [​IMG] Had no idea. Thanks, Wes and Cos!
    Randy

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  12. Ozzied

Ozzied Member

First post peeps.. so go easy on me!
    long time lurker, decided to take the plunge today and start posting...

Anyways... a few purchases from the last week...

Barker Black Loafers..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brioni Shirts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Isaia Shirts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple of Pal Zileri Cerimonia suits - I'm planning on wearing one for my wedding, (I'm getting married on a beach!), not sure which (if either) yet though.. the price was so good I bought them both anyway...

Silk / Wool - 1 btn Tuxedo suit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gray Shawl 1 button with Silk vest:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Well-Known Member

Doubt it's fake based on there I found it. The brown trim around the numbers is faded a bit from being laundered. But I still figured it was worth $5.00

14. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Well-Known Member

CA, and can't take our 3 greyhounds to Easter services. The kids make enough noise, ha.

Love the football talk on baseball's opening day. Show us where our minds are.

On the jerseys -- there's a lot of "gray market" stuff made for Asian markets that creeps back into the U.S. I am a Washington fan and I get all my stuff unlicensed off eBay because it costs way less. Made by diff companies, not licensed by the NFL for sale in U.S. If I am done with it (like, say after I got the Deion Sanders jersey) I'd donate to local thrift stores. I don't care if I have the Reebok replica of what the players wear or the Chow Foon. Replicas is replicas. If I wanted to buy an actual team jersey and had forked over $300 for that with all the patches, etc and it was faked, then I'd be mad. But a vast majority of stuff you see at foot locker, olympia sports, are replicas anyway, properly licensed for US market.

What if it isn't? Oh darn, my replica jersey is a replica of a licensed replica. So who cares except for the player's agent. As for saleability check eBay but in general most jerseys are unsaleable except for the team-issued game jersey and half the things from Mitchell & Ness because they re-create game jerseys no longer in use. I have a Mitchell & Ness 1975 Yaz like this,

[​IMG]

which isn't worth anything because there's a million of them out there new that people are still trying to move 5-6 years later for $20 a piece. They must have way overestimated demand for that one, ha.

At the same time I got it, my local discount store AJ Wright (RIP, the chain's gone now, it was a really low end TJ Maxx sister store) had Mitchell & Ness Braves jerseys from when Hank hit #755. I bought three and flipped them on eBay pretty handily at the time. Lesson: Check on eBay if the M&N jersey you see in front of you is selling for anything. Otherwise, if you want it for yourself, and might get your pals laughing at the good old days...OK you can still get it but get the dollar signs out of your eyes.

This is all my experience. I'm sure other thrifters have different paths to turning a buck or two with sports jerseys & have things to add to this. And of course, brags about their own jerseys (I have a nylon 1972 Gordie Howe!!!! that still looks new from when I was a kid!!!! Heh.)

Bet your Sipe is gray market if it looks "off" from the official. No one would fake a Sipe jersey. No money in it. However, "throwback" jerseys were the rage for a time (in some places they still are, i.e. where the current team is weak and the only way the team can boost jersey sales is to remind fans of better days = retired players)....and I am guessing that's what's happening here. The throwback phenomena, BTW, killed the market almost completely for old jerseys that weren't actually worn by the players themselves or team issued/unworn.

15. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

I have a feeling Martini is going to be posting some Chanel/Louboutin/Gucci steez thrift fits in the near future :)

2 people like this.
  16. ATLjon

ATLjon Well-Known Member

I'm counting down the hours until I can head to Turner Field for tonight's game. Believe it or not, I could actually do a ballpark thrift pic, but I won't.

17. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

Hehe...

Thanks for the comments. Was definitely more of a tongue-in-cheek outfit to make my wife smile. She loves when I look ridiculous. The jacket is definitely too short, but I like how the sleeves fell. I struggle to find sleeves short enough on a 44R. As for the boxy look, a barrel body fits best in a box...lol. Got to trim down some now that the warmer weather is almost here, with a larger gut and no ass, I can't get the pants to stay up high enough to look correct with any sport coat. When I was picking a shirt, I suddenly realized I had nothing that was white with barrel cuffs, only french cuffs. Found one in inventory though, about 30 minutes later. Agreed on the kilties [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like it MartiniGirl, you have my wife's style.

18. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

Holy shit! Another greyhound lover on the thread!!! We are getting our first one in a few months. We'll start with one and see how many we come up...You know what they say about greyhound and potato chips...You can't just have one!
    Bwahahahahahaha! Don't mean to laugh at you, Wes but that threw me off guard!!! [​IMG]

19. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

SCULPTED BEARD TEAM '13 The membership grows... :devil:

20. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

Charter member here, I haven't had a bare chin since 1997

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.