1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndroFan

AndroFan Well-Known Member

You're getting pretty good at this bro. I like the second fit better for the contrast. Might be a bit busy with the shirt and tie combo. Might do better with a (albeit, boring) solid light blue shirt.

Anyhow, PREACH, SON!

2. Randomore

Randomore Well-Known Member

^ Agreed. Second would be best with a solid shirt.

3. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    With all the noise about balls, lips, chins, and MOPs, I just want to give my $0.02. I'm not saying I'm a MOP master but I've handled enough of them to be able to tell just by looking at them and feeling them on the web between my thumb and index finger. If I still can't tell or not sure, I'll do the cheek test. No where do I let used clothes touch my lips.
    I think some people like to do a field test before committing, nahmane?
    +2
    I've only handled about 2 BBGF. Although they weren't my size, I sure would like to cop at least one in my size.

Bro, I like the first one cuz I think it's more church appropriate but you know I have attachment to that PRL...I wished that thing fit me. Hey, my lost, your gain! Wear it in good health! Now where's my gaddamn box!!! [​IMG]
    +3
    Navy blazer always look better with a solid OCBD!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  4. ScottW

ScottW Well-Known Member

Quote:
    In case you were curious, La Unica are factory seconds of the more well known La Gloria Cubana brand, which are also Dominican, not Cuban as their name might suggest. That one has the label on the cellophane and no band, which I have never seen from La Unica so it likely predates my almost 20 years of [infrequent] cigar smoking. Even when stored properly, which that one most definitely was not, most Dominicans are way over the hill by then. Even if it was intact, it would have been a shitty smoke.

I hit a smaller GW today and left nearly empty handed. Left a Battistoni coat (for Barney's) that fit me but had a couple of nicks & pulls in visible areas. Also left two Harris tweed coats, not my size and kind of weird patterns- one had a bit of an odd pink-ish hue to the light brown. I believe they were sized around a 38-40, can go back if anyone is really desperate for tweed. I did pick up one BB branded wood hangar with the wide shoulders for 96¢, whoopdy doo.

2 people like this.
  5. AndroFan

AndroFan Well-Known Member

This is the kind of shit I love: dudes on a thread about thrifting clothes dropping straight up knowledge on 20+ year old cigars.

PREACH.

6. barrelntrigger

This is another reason why I love this damn thread so much - the randomness of derail, sometimes bring forth mofos who b drop'n knowledge! [​IMG]

7. barrelntrigger

Hmm, I think if it's not out of style, reweaving it could be a great investment.

8. Pawz

Pawz Well-Known Member

I'm looking for Armani ties, preferably Collezioni/Giorgio for cheap. PM me if you have any for sale!

9. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

Time was I had dozens and dozens. Worked for the company. But I mostly sold them off. I will take a look around and let you know if I find any stragglers.

10. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

Just to keep you guys on the edge of your seats for a while. I got soo much stuff yesterday, it's gonna take me the rest of the day to process.

Main attraction. One of those PA Amish made pieces.
    [​IMG]

11. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

:wow:

(Intentionally unspoilered for awesomeness)

12. barrelntrigger

Holy crap! By Belvest?

13. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

That's what I'm thinking. The label has some similarities.
    [​IMG]

14. ScottW

ScottW Well-Known Member

I'm gonna quote myself because I was really tired and a little drunk when I posted that, and now I remember that La Unica is actually not LGC seconds. I was thinking of El Credito. La Unica is owned by Fuente. Sorry everyone! I shall redeem myself by posting pics (later this weekend) of what is hopefully the Hermes I am looking for. Or, the Hermes for which I am looking.

15. Flake

Flake Well-Known Member

The LaGloria Cubanas rolled at the El Credito factory in Miami were always more consistent than the ones rolled in the DR. And of course all were better back when Ernesto Perez-Carrillo was in charge

[​IMG]
    (Detail from a LaGloria themed painting I commissioned a while back, which Ernesto permitted and personally signed)

16. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

Getting excited ..... In store now. Can someone confirm this is real? 1st for me

[​IMG]

Edit - bought.

1 person likes this.
  17. Raist

Raist Active Member

I left a silk and wool Belvest sports coat behind yesterday. It's a dark orange and blue check. The comments above make me wonder if it's worth going back and getting. It would be for sale or trade though as it's a bit big for me. Is there a market for older model Belvest coats?

18. barrelntrigger

Holy shit!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

19. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

:bounce2:

20. Randomore

Randomore Well-Known Member

Thread has really stepped it up lately...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.