• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Elusive

Reaction score
Pick this up at lunch. Paul Smith, size is 18", barrel cuff

Available

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Random question relating to the wool topcoat I posted last night- How long is too long/where should one fall? This one is at my knees.

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bike question:

Everton. Made in Denmark. ????

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Random question relating to the wool topcoat I posted last night- How long is too long/where should one fall? This one is at my knees.

I think the current style is at or just above the knees. That being said, I have quite a few that are longer and I think they look quite elegant. You can also have them shortened by a competent tailor for not so much bread. My wife found a trench coat at an SA a couple weeks ago (that's right, I dragged her into one) that she had shortened to just above the knee. I think it was about $30. Might be a little more for a heavy wool coat.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pleasantly surprised how often you find cool things in your size. I'm a 38 as well and don't seem to share the same luck 
baldy%5B1%5D.gif

Overcoats don't seem to be a problem, the sc I found today is one of only a handful I've found in the last year or so that have fit right off the rack. Don't even get me started on trousers. :fu:

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I was about to leave the spot with my meager finds when I saw this coming out of the back room on a fresh rack.....

This is unbelievably awesome! Congrats, for a split second I got excited when I saw the size and then remembered who posted :)

Completely normal. They can hit anywhere from the thigh to just past the knees. Shorter coats are more casual and often more desired, much like trench coats. I can't wear one thats past my knees as I'm short as it is, but I do have them just to my knees. It's warmer in the winter than something shorter.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This! In my area, it appears that fatties are the only one's with quality garments. We need to get these doughy bastages to the gym!

I hope you're suggesting you're finding 56US. Because if you mean anything in the low to mid 40s, we've got ourselves a little problem.

LeafAndArrow

Reaction score
Had this stack handed to me by a little old lady in one of my weekly go-to thrifts in a basement of a church next to my office building.

Jackets all fit like a glove. Book similarly applicable.

IrateCustomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hope you're suggesting you're finding 56US. Because if you mean anything in the low to mid 40s, we've got ourselves a little problem.

Low to mid 40's aren't fatties. I find upper 40's regularly. I have yet to find one dress shirt remotely close to my size 15.5/33 or 34.

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Low to mid 40's aren't fatties. I find upper 40's regularly. I have yet to find one dress shirt remotely close to my size 15.5/33 or 34.

i have said this before, people who have money to buy, then donate good clothes also buy good food and alcohol -> larger gentleman

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads