1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Well-Known Member

It really comes down to how much you are willing to spend. I've gathered that your family has money and perhaps they will extend you a loan since you don't yet have credit. Explain to them that you are trying to get around town and keep fit. It will keep you out of trouble (yeah right) and will cost a fraction of a car.

That said, you should not buy a bike at a thrift store. I know what I'm looking for and the only bike I've seen worth its salt ($350) was found at a pawn shop, not a thrift store. eBay, local bike swaps, craigslist are a whole different story, but avoid looking at thrifts.

A new bike from a bike shop will afford you the attention of capable mechanics and some sort of warranty on frame, parts, and labor. As a veteran bicycle mechanic, I will steer you this way.

As a broke asshole, I often purchase my bikes and parts used. Please go back and read that I know what I'm looking for.

Since you live in/near SF, I would encourage you to go to American Cyclery, Boxdog Bikes or, if you're willing to spend real coin, Rivendell Bicycle Works.

There are too many brands to mention...go with your gut. Talk to professional people about your passions and let their knowledge guide you.

Whatever you do, please don't turn into a douce triathlete.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  2. pnutpug

pnutpug Well-Known Member

True, it is really tough to find decent bikes in thrift stores. I've found exactly two in the past five years and I have made, conservatively, at least 1,500 visits to thrift stores during that time. It can be done, but you have to know what you're doing.

Acosby raises good points about the advantages of bicycle shops. I would add that it's like anything else--some shops are better than others, so it's a good idea to follow the recommendation of someone you trust. You might want to consider a used bike from a shop. That would get you the benefits of a shop that acosby describes plus value and the chance to shop around a bit more than you otherwise could. You'll pay a bit more than you would from a private party, but that peace of mind might be worth it in your case. Whichever route you go, you should still do a lot of research.

3. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

Thrift fit. [​IMG]
    Zegna Brooks merino (pretty sure) Th Pink shirt BBBF tie Regency watch, Trafalgar belt Nordstrom by Zegna Vintage beater J&M jodhpurs, because the weather's supposed to take a turn. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  4. jlewis

jlewis Active Member

The tag is just sewn in to the sides, doesn't have the knots in the back. I've found other high end stuff like Raf, Lanvin, and Gucci at this store that were all real, but never nwt.

5. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

6. IRKSM

IRKSM Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the responses on the bike! I don't want to quote you all but I will try to respond to the general points brought up.
    I am more open to Fixies now after hearing everything you guys have said, I live in a suburb right now and will live in Berkeley next year so I don't really need gears I guess. I am looking to spend in the 200-400 range I have the money no problem but I don't want to spend more than that since I am also in the market for new golf clubs am a new laptop. I am not taking a loan from my parents I don't know why everyone thinks we are like loaded, my dad has been unemployed for like 2 years... Anyway thanks for the responses everyone!

7. messenger309

messenger309 Well-Known Member

One thrift hit on the way home from work.

First Prada. Available.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Two Charles Tyrwhitt. Near new or new, both had package creases still. Available.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Zegna Tie. Available.

[​IMG]

Banana Republic Suede Coat. Medium. Unavailable until my wife tries it on (it is a mens coat).

[​IMG]

8. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Well-Known Member

I'm always fascinated when they Teach Us About Love based on their current relationship, but after their 3rd divorce due to infidelity.

9. pnutpug

pnutpug Well-Known Member

Some are going to disagree, but I, personally, would not start out with a fixed gear. I say this as a former, and aging, track racer. My rationale is hills and beer. Yeah, you can put a brake on front, and maybe even in back, to help out with going down, but there isn't much you can do about the going up part, which might not be an issue unless you're an old fart like me. A bike with gears is going to be more versatile, I think. As a second bike, a fixed-gear makes sense but if you are only going to have one bike, then you should perhaps consider one that negotiate hills easily and can also carry a case of beer strapped to the rack and maybe a bag of peanuts or even a thrifted pair of Lobbs. If you could have only one car and live in the real world where it sometimes snows and you need to carry a thing or two, would you buy a Boxster or a Subaru?

1 person likes this.
  10. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Well-Known Member

just get a huffy dude

1 person likes this.
  11. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Here's the full list of what we picked up yesterday at the REI sale. I'm only keeping a few things, so let me know if you're interested in anything.

Scarpa Mont Blanc Mountaineering Boots-Orange -M12
    Scarpa Mont Blanc Mountaineering Boots -Green -M7
    Zamberlan Steep GT Boots -M9
    Lowa Renegade GTX Boots -M10
    Lowa Renegade GTX Boots -M11
    Montrail Torre GTX Boots -M10
    Lowa Renegade GTX Boots -M12
    Vasque Wasatch GTX Boots -M10
    Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2 -M10
    Salomon Quest GTX 4D -W8
    Saucony Ride 4 Running -M10
    Mountain Hardwear Monkeyman -Mens Medium
    Sierra Designs TOV Jacket -Womens Large
    North Face Kira Triclimate Jacket -Womens XL
    North Face Denali Jacket -Mens XXL
    Cordillera Wonderland Down Jacket -Womens Small
    North Face Denali Jacket -Womens Large
    Patagonia Down Sweater -Mens XL
    Arc’teryx Atom LT Jacket -Mens Large
    Sierra Designs Gnar Lite Down Jacket -Womens Large
    North Face Metropolis Down Parka -Womens Small
    Pearl Izumi Elite Bib Cycling Shorts -n/a
    Mountain Hardwear Tshirt -n/a

MSR Tour Evo Snowshoes

-n/a
    Atlas Electra 1123 Snowshoes -n/a

12. IRKSM

IRKSM Well-Known Member

good points all around but there are literally no hills by me or when I am going to live, also I am probably going to get a flip flop so it can be single speed as well

13. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Well-Known Member

Awesome thirft fit pic, GMMcL! How many pocket squares do you have? I don't have near enough to go with my shirts and ties.

Here's mine thrift fit pic for today. There's still snow here so tweed is still in the wardrobe.
    • HT (a secret santa gift)
    • Zara shirt (thrifted)
    • Michelson's tie. Bought online on sale
    • Boss pants - bought at retail years ago :uhoh:
    • AE McHale. I love oxblood! Bought at retail but going on 7 years so got more than my money's worth.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. torz

torz Member

Some goods from the past couple of trips...

3x Zanella. two 38 one 40

[​IMG]

Picked these up cause I thought someone would appreciate them
    [​IMG]

Barneys italy white shirt (keeping) and a pink T Pink french cuff 17 by 35
    [​IMG]
    two (sideways) jackets. The blue is a quilted Ben Sherman M and green has the title Jacket, Flyers: lightweight Nomex L
    [​IMG]
    Two nwt vans authentics
    [​IMG]

And these, dont see to much of this brand here, Im a fan however, they made my wallet

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    What does this mean anyone?
    [​IMG]

15. rhz5001

rhz5001 Well-Known Member

A few recent pick ups.

Vintage Penfield Down Vest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Four Zenga Ties

[​IMG]

Kiton Sevenfold and Luciano Barbera Ties

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Salvatore Ferragamo Loafers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have much more, I just need to get pictures and post! Still not sure if these are all up to standards around here.

16. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Well-Known Member

What's funny is that later in the evening after I took that picture of the dogsled, I got stuck in my back alley. The guy who pushed me out was trying to get his golden retriever to pull him on his snowboard. He wasn't having any luck.

17. Digmenow

Digmenow Well-Known Member

I don't care that they're ONLY beater J&M jodhpurs. I LOVE those boots. Everything else looks good as well although I'll leave the PS critique to Spoo et. al. I've nearly defaulted back to white linen almost always.

1 person likes this.
  18. messenger309

messenger309 Well-Known Member

I think I agree as well. For five years I rode without brakes but I was riding 40 hours a week and could lock the rear wheel whenever I needed too.

19. bytor13

bytor13 Well-Known Member

Today's the first official day of my Spring Break, so I decided had to spend it thrifting. Hit up a TON of stores, but only came up with a few things.

Found these at Marshalls. The messenger bag is the same one that Chet (I think) found a while back. I couldn't force myself to pull the trigger since I recently got my 256. I'll check back in later. Hopefully, it'll stay around for a price reduction or two.

For Her:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Messenger Bags
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I did get this RLPL madder square (NA). I'm glad this was around still. I passed on a few different colorways @ $50 a month ago or so.

[​IMG]

Now on to the thrifts . . .

2x Martin Dingman alligator grain calfskin (NA)
    [​IMG]

This pic is wonky . . .

wool challis, recent Zegna, 3x vintage BB (NA)
    [​IMG]

NA
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Shell AE Randolph 10.5 3E (AVAILABLE)
    [​IMG]

HEAVY Daks tweed (NA)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

NWT VV tie & Trafalgar braces (AVAILABLE)
    [​IMG]

AE suede (NA)
    [​IMG]

20. LeSacre

LeSacre Well-Known Member

It's good to be back home.

[​IMG]

Southwick 44R?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]