1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

If any of you gents are looking for a pair of grey selvedge, UO are having a sale on their Unbranded for $49.99. Just need a penny to get free shipping.

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=19140920&parentid=SALE_M_BOTTOMS

They also have the skinny version but from the pics, it looks to be the slim/straight model. Just click on the sale tab and you should see them fairly easily.

I coped a pair of the tapered leg ones. They are brought to you by the same folks behind NnF. Not the best quality but it's hard to find a pair in grey that's under $50. [​IMG]

2. barrelntrigger

3. Greg613

Greg613 Well-Known Member

Here is the Knox hat I picked up yesterday.
    [​IMG]

4. size 38R

size 38R Well-Known Member

i think i might get some of these, and cut them up. [​IMG]

5. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

dexconstruct: I'm blown away by those tails. I think that's the oldest confirmed piece we've seen here. Thrifted?

6. shadesofbeige

shadesofbeige Well-Known Member

1. Close, they're Brooks Brothers (via Alden)
    2. Sorry, 8D

And for my thrift thread denim hookup Redux (Ladies Edition), I was in Anthropologie with my girlfriend and they had a few dozen pairs from Imogene + Willie, made in Nashville from Cone denim, for 50 bucks apiece. They had black, blue, and natural in three different cuts, definitely worth a look if your lady friend needs some new jeans.

7. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Well-Known Member

The Goldstein Museum might be interested. They are always looking for non-military mens fashion. http://goldstein.design.umn.edu Otherwise there are some St. Paul Living History Society members who might be interested in it.

8. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

+1
    I just recently copped a few old ass HF SC's from the same era. One is a HF custom in green with no sleeve buttons with the option to having working surgeon cuffs. Also some HSM from the 70s in a loud plaid POW suit. Its pretty badass and need to get pics up when I have time.

9. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Well-Known Member

+1That thing is amazing! Congrats, man.

10. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Well-Known Member

So, I have this DB SC. I have had it for months and months, I like it, I love it, it's deep purple herringbone baby alpaca, perfect color and softness, from a New Haven men's store (it ain't Brioni or Zegna for you label whores, hahahahahaha). It's un-resellable.

This jacket has some style problems. 2 sizes 2 big, gotta get sleeves taken up an inch or inch and a half (no faking this) and certainly if I want to wear as a blazer I need chrome or brass buttons. Also -- definitely needs some padding removed from shoulders.

My question to you gents is, what's your ceiling for tailoring a thrifted jacket, one you are very attached to? I have a master tailor who will do this work but it's at least $100 to do all it needs to be "right." I'm not talking garden variety pieces you find and might find again in your size after a year or so of hunting (don't tell me you're not patient enough to wait -- we all are or we'd be poasting somewheres else). I'm talking the one-of-a-kind piece you fall in love with, and when you keep it for a long time, don't fall out of love and rethrift or flip (when possible).This one's a DB, which complicates things (i.e. it can look dated to non-SF people hahahaha). But the fabric is in my little world of clothes, beyond effing superb, being possessed with an alpaca fetish and all. Never seen anything like it, probably never will again.

What is the most you guys have spent for tailoring on a thrifted piece? I am trying to determine if I am being stupid/delusional or if you guys have these same decisions yourself.

Post your stories/opinions please.

11. zerobid

zerobid Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

No not a troll
    I went back this morning and they were still where I hid them
    Size 32 available

3 people like this.
  12. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

If it's truly two sizes too big, then there will be more work to do than the alterations you've listed. It will have to be recut completely. Basically, you'd be having a new custom jacket made from the cloth of the old jacket. I can't imagine this not costing several hundred dollars.

13. barrelntrigger

Wow! Dibs!

14. GM-H

GM-H Well-Known Member

Already messaged him :)

15. grendel

grendel Well-Known Member

Not the oldest. This one is older and there's probably older than this too

[​IMG]

16. barrelntrigger

HA! I pmed him BEFORE I dibbed those!

17. LeSacre

LeSacre Well-Known Member

I went back to the same GW that I got my first good haul, just in case they put out more stuff from the same donation. I was in luck. I think I found my go-to place.

Oxxford for Johnstons (A "high end" men's clothing store here in Wichita. I say "high end" because its as nice as you can find here in Kansas... Probably much lower than a store in NYC or LA) 40R. Needs just a little bit of love and it will be perfect! - Keeping for myself [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oxxford for Nieman Marcus 40R - Available. It needs some fixing up, but it's mostly the lining that has lost stitching which should be easy to fix.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't think I can pull of the color or three button look

I also found a North Face shell with the fleece still zipped in. Size small and doesn't fit me, so if anyone is interested, get at me.

Not really brag worth but I did find a handful of BB and PRL ties NWT

I may be wrong, but I think I'm stepping up my game thanks to this thread [​IMG]

18. GHo

GHo Well-Known Member

Maybe there should be a thrift fit- off for jeans

19. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

20. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Well-Known Member

Calling dibs means you have first chance at paying the $1,000, same as the cost+shipping.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.