1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Digmenow

Digmenow Well-Known Member

Is the the Willis & Geiger for which I am looking?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bush poplin.
    Reversible: light khaki to olive.
    Minty
    No dirt on the cuffs or elbows or anywhere that I have seen.
    All the buttons seem to be there.
    Size Large and far too big for me so available.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  2. AndroFan

AndroFan Well-Known Member

All Willis & Geiger is the Willis & Geiger you're looking for.

3. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Well-Known Member

Alright, so this is definitely now how I expected this to turn out, but I am pretty happy with the results, what do you guys think?

GMMcl hooked me up with some AE Sanfords that needed some love. I already had a pair in walnut, and wanted a darker brown pair of shoes to fill a gap. He sent them to me SO FAST that I decided to work on them before even considering buying a leather dye or anything. Here are my results. Initially, I had planned on a darker brown, but I think I ended up antiquing them and I really like the look. I don't have a before and after shot, but I do have my other pair of Sanfords which make it like a before and after.

I used Revo, a little AE conditioner cleaner, a good bit of some brown cream (for the dye content), and some brown wax polish. Here are the results...

Original color:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New color:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And...side by side...
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  4. ATLjon

ATLjon Well-Known Member

Genius songwriting.

5. TheBurnOut

TheBurnOut Well-Known Member

JW Nordstrom labeled but made by ALDEN? The heels and numbers in the shoe suggest so. 11 D

[​IMG]

Barrie LTD PTB's

[​IMG]

And some Paul Smith Sneaks

[​IMG]

Also picked up a Gant Michael Bastian madras LSBD in my size- pretty psyched about that one! No pics because it's MINE!!!!!

6. SeaJen

SeaJen Well-Known Member

Let's put that to the test. X-post with WAYRN. Thrift/discount fit

Paul Stuart by Samuelsohn SC (Spoo)
    CT (on clearance)
    Mitchells (final clearance Marshalls)
    Nordy's Loro Piana wool/cashmere flannels (ridiculous clearance)
    AE Delrays (e-thrifted)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. TheBurnOut

TheBurnOut Well-Known Member

8. brianG

brianG Well-Known Member

Anyone have any information on an old Japanese denim brand called "Gardener" or "Gardener Overalls"? From the tiny bit of information I could find, they seemed to have been a quality Japanese denim brand in the 90's, during the heyday of Japanese repro stuff. I'll have more info once I actually receive the jacket. I realize the design is WAY out there, but I still thought this was pretty neat. Japanese sizing, so this should fit my medium-ish body well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. almosthandsome

almosthandsome Well-Known Member

That tie and coat are brilliance.

10. pnutpug

pnutpug Well-Known Member

This

11. grendel

grendel Well-Known Member

This is great! Add a PS for extra credit.

12. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Well-Known Member

Hahahahahahah. It's like, I wear cufflinks once a damn month but possess 50 pairs. I had to pack them for my trade show in New Orleans -- only French Cuff dress shirts -- to force myself to wear them back-to-back-to-back days otherwise I'd pass up an opportunity to wear them in their proper/appropriate environment, interviewing executives who were mostly wearing them too. WTF is wrong with me? That probably explains why I never have awesome fit pics, because I am a collector more than a dandy. I just use this forum to justify feeding my collecting jones.

+1, Dig.

I have a Nettleton's fetish myself -- speaking of shoes that fit "just right" I seek their 9C's out. Ideal.

Although I believe the ghosts of Yves St. Laurent and Christian Dior haunt this place, laughing their asses off.

13. pnutpug

pnutpug Well-Known Member

It's a cover, actually, as are most of the songs on that disc. His rendition of Eleanor Rigby is also spectacular. And if you ever spot Inner Views by Sonny Bono (the only album he did sans Cher) get it--it's so bad that a CD has been released. I was fortunate enough to find a copy that looked like it had never been played, which isn't surprising. This is the title track, but every cut is classic:

14. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

Quick thrift fit. - Colors go ok?

[​IMG]

Tweed just arrived from capnwes [​IMG]
    Brooks Brothers Slim Fit OCBD from SteveSmith
    Hickey Freeman pants from my HUGE HF Consignment

1 person likes this.
  15. sparrow

sparrow Well-Known Member

looks good pants might be a little baggy but that could just be the pic angle

16. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

They are baggy [​IMG] Its on the huge list of stuff that needs to go to the tailor..

17. Septimus

Septimus Well-Known Member

Well, yeah. Only THRIFT fit pics here. I assumed that was understood.

Let's see what happens!

(We could also ask Orge, who posts in both and generally gets fairly well-received in WAYWRN, but, I suspect, would agree that it provides a more critical reception.)

18. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

Lol, that's what I do, too! We just pile stuff on our bed. I've started gathering my winter wear and placing them into totes and storing them in the darkest but driest place in the house. I plan on doing the same thing during fall and winter with the spring and summer stuff. So start memorizing them! [​IMG]
    I understand. But just because something is quality, doesn't mean you have to wear it or it will suit you. But the bottom line when it comes to quality men's wear, ie. suits and scs, is fabric, construction (usual more hand work, horn/wood/gold/silver buttons, and full canvassed, the more quality it is), and just remember, labels are a proxy for quality.
    I feel on some threads, their members have heads up so far up their asses, they are miles away from smelling their own crap. [​IMG] I generally feel safe on this thread because I have a sensitive soul. [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Wow, Brian, you rarely post fits. I think the jacket could use some waist suppression. Finally found something in your size, huh? Good for you.

1 person likes this.
  19. IRKSM

IRKSM Well-Known Member

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu I wanted those aghhhhh please tell me you want to get rid of one of them

20. woodchuck312

woodchuck312 Well-Known Member

Well you know you have a problem when you take a day off work to go thrifting........ lol

Came across a minty fresh Brooks Brothers 1818 Fitzgerald Navy Blue in my size (42R, 36wasit) but they wanted $15 for it, just a tad too much for me so i passed.

Haha just kidding I snapped that up and almost made a mess on the floor

Then i came across some shoes that looked nice but they were labeled Jos A Bank, and i know from this thread to stay away from such things.... but I got them anyway because that are Alden 908's [​IMG]

Also got my first pair of Nettleton's. Nice Orvis SC, Facconable SC.

Oh a pair of Leather boot moc's, with Gro-Cord on the bottom, did an ebay search and they seem to be pretty rare, made by Orvis Gokey http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Orvis-...0412604?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item460d46293c

That pair is exactly like mine, and mine are probably a size 9 as well, as I put my size 9.5/10 foot in them and it was just a bit too snug.

OH also got a pair of Loro Piana pants, some Vineyard Vine stuff as well...VV is an easy flip on Ebay usually.

I'm probably forgetting a few things, maybe post up some pics later tonight when i get time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.