1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stewie

Stewie Well-Known Member

Whats funny is that I could tell Fueco was more ranting about his lack of knowledge. As noted, some of you have expertise or likes that make some of this thrifting easy...sometimes it's a crapshoot...thinking you got some great Ebay fodder, and then Ebay puts you in your place and proves to you that your knowledge sucks! As we all gain knowledge, some of us will learn to make a living off of it, others will fill their closets with quality and sometimes expensive clothing, and others will just continue to enjoy the hunt!

Fueco, stick to what you know, learn from your mistakes, and soon you will be finding LA quality finds! If your in the San Jose/Silicon Valley area, I would look for vintage hiking and backpacking items to help fund your collections of pendleton board shirts and tori richard aloha shirts (if I remember right on the aloha shirts)

So for me this week...here's what I found: (No pics at this time)

Aquascutum Norfolk Hunting Jacket

RLBL Black Velvet Smoking Jacket

Tod's Driving/Tennis Shoes

Herman Miller Meridian Desk Clock designed by Arthur Rumanoff

Dansk Mesa dishes (various pieces to flip on ebay for quick cash)

2. chiron

chiron Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  3. Klobber

Klobber Well-Known Member

Comon guys, Tom James suits are not that bad at all. Same goes for Jack Victor. Not everything our hands touch that are outside of some top 10 awesome list will be junk. I touched a Tom James suit just the other day and for sure it was half canvassed and Loro Piana cashmere fabric. Pretty spiffing suit really only pity it was a size 60R US and was for the incredible Hulk after a 5 gallon tub of ice cream binge.

I remember Mainy found a Dillards skeet blanket suit by Daniel Cremioux and it was made by Isaia nonetheless, presumably to their now defunct Gianluca line standards which means a suit of half canvassed nice fabric nature - at least Brooks Brothers 1818 or better.

Oh yeah, do not dismiss out of hand Jos A Bank anymore - they carry Italian made suits by Zegna.

Bingo bosch kabam! Summarizes everything in a harmonious manner.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  4. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

And now for the stuff that I do know...

I was in my favorite Goodwill this afternoon before heading over to spin class. I almost missed the good bike jerseys because they were tagged as women's clothing AND in the kids' section... But I spotted them.

First up is a Motorola team jersey. This is just like the one that I bought from 46n2 on here a while back, but it's one size too small. I'm sure I can find it a good home.

[​IMG]

Next up is two early 90s Specialized Mountain Bike team jerseys. These are pretty awesome, especially because of one guy who wore one just like it; one Ned Overend. He is, arguably, the greatest American mountain bike racer of all-time, and one of the greats of cycling in general. He's still winning races these days, well into his 50s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this last one.... Where's the Nataku signal??

This jacket is a brilliant down jacket, very obviously well-constructed (and I'm talking leaps and bounds ahead of the LL Bean down jacket I thrifted last month). The tag says LL Bean. The styling says early 90s. The content label screams "Made By The North Face" (it has the old address from Berkeley, CA of The North Face). What gives? I need to do a little more research; but this is a very well made jacket, made in the USA, and in like new condition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

Haven't looked at this thread in weeks (turns out the further you get behind, the less chance you'll ever catch up). Browsed the last few pages, too much text, not enough pictures.

6. sliq

sliq Well-Known Member

7. size 38R

size 38R Well-Known Member

Spare Air? That is AWESOME!!!!!!! just what you need when you lose your wedding ring in the pool! [​IMG]

And Paul smith is good stuff, mostly. better than more well known crap. -won't name brands.[​IMG] 20% of my wardrobe is paul smith.

8. Digmenow

Digmenow Well-Known Member

+1 on the Paul Smith Jeans line. I found a short sleeve button shirt that retailed north of $200. Kop, I say KOP it when you see it!

Meanwhile...

No offensh to anyone here but I need some help to dye for.

Below, you see a photo of three shirts.

On your left, you see a true black JAB dress shirt. On your right, you see a true white BB dress shirt.
    In the middle, you see what was ONCE a true white (with some sort of irremovable spots on the back) BB dress shirt that was dyed in a plastic tub consisting of HOT water, a cup of salt and a half bottle of BLACK Rit dye for 60 minutes, stirred constantly per the bottle's instructions.

[​IMG]

As you can see, the middle shirt is not black but is, instead, a lovely shade of grey. My intent was to create a thrifted army of black, Brooks Brothers slim fit dress shirts (my favorite shirt) to wear to work to conform to my company's wretched dress code. You may recall that Brooks Brothers DOES NOT SELL black dress shirts.

What did I do wrong? Suggestions are appreciated. Absolute KNOWLEDGE is gold!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  9. pnutpug

pnutpug Well-Known Member

Can't get the multi-quote function to work, but here's what you said:

Bro's:

You can absolutely stretch shoes to fit, and you can do it for cheap!. Sneakers and loafers, boots and combat boots -- one size, two sizes -- I've seen a million faces, and I've rocked them all. (You can't, however, shrink them. At least not yet. Stay tuned for developments).

That said, if you meant width, well, I still dunno. There are just so many shoes and so little time. A lot of folks around here seem to want to make really nice stuff work for them because it's really nice stuff, not because it can work, and I should know, having a closet full of really nice sport coats with too-wide shoulders. I think that it is wiser to pass on the stuff that doesn't fit and wait for stuff that does, and that includes shoes. My only experience with trying to stretch a C into a D was only marginally successful (this was a pair of spectators by Footjoy, IIRC) and I ended up passing them on. Eventually, I got a pair by AE that I like even more. As far as buying online, if it's new and doesn't fit, I would send them back. If it's used and online, I wouldn't risk more than I could re-sell for if they end up not fitting.

As for other recent stuff: Motorola cycling jersey, great pickup--check the pockets for PEDs, being as that was Lance's team.

The Spare Air scuba backup system: I can see it now, the grieving widow on the dock as they bring the lifeless body to shore. "I told him not to buy his gear at Goodwill!" Or, as M-and-L would say, "I had a broken Spare Air/I bought a broken Spare Air."

10. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Well-Known Member

^^Well, I'm not an expert, but you're trying to dye a non-iron BB shirt. They accomplish that non-iron quality by coating the cotton with something along the lines of Teflon and I suspect it limits the fabrics ability to take up the dye. Try again with a must iron shirt and I think you'll do better.

1 person likes this.
  11. SeaJen

SeaJen Well-Known Member

And the stitching will always be contrasting white, because it's polyester, so you have to be okay with that too.

1 person likes this.
  12. Digmenow

Digmenow Well-Known Member

Yeah. I was wondering if that would be a problem.

The stitching would have been fine as long as the shirt was black. Oh well.

13. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

Today's thrift fit brought to you by:
    J Press Borrelli EG Cappelli (tie) RLPL (sq) Regency Pantherella Martegani StaxRingold Randomore Fueco
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  14. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

^ GMMcL, Gaddamnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Well-Known Member

Re: Recent Discussion on Shoe Stretching.

I'm not sure if this is a thing with anybody else on here, but I own a TON of really great shoes in and around my size that fit with minor tweaks - stretching, tongue pads, etc. Out of all these shoes (Alan McAfee, Alden, BB, Church's, Ermenegildo Zegna, Edward Green, Ferragamo, Lazlo Vass, etc.) only a few fit "perfectly" with no tweaks. I'm contemplating a liquidation and using the funds to buy new shoes of similar quality with perfect fit. "Almost perfect" fit is beginning to be not good enough. Are any of you guys feeling the same way about this?

16. ocooney

ocooney Well-Known Member

17. MZhammer

MZhammer Well-Known Member

Are you a 9.5 D US? [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Well-Known Member

Haha, I was thinking the exact same thing you were.

1 person likes this.
  19. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

No way. He's 10.5-11D and he's sending to ME.

1 person likes this.
  20. Randomore

Randomore Well-Known Member

Nope! 11.5-12 and its for ME!

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.