• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

thriftydood

Reaction score
Some stuff I picked up last weekend:

Willis & Geiger Jacket (size M), available:

PRL half-zip sweater (not available):

Burberrys Trench Coat (not available): is this a fake? I know it's an old label, just wondering if it's real (I took a chance on it--I paid a consignment price, with no returns):

Does anyone know anything about Redaelli? It looks like Yoox sells Redaelli pants, coats, and jackets, but that's all the information I could find. Anyway, Redaelli Overcoat (size EU 48/US 38) in a wool/alpaca blend, maybe available. Can someone help me identify the maker based on the tag? I went through the first page of the label/heel thread, but I couldn't find anything.

And a nice burgundy dotted tie, not available:

thriftydood

Reaction score
Yep, the "Regent Custom Fit" beneath the Polo Ralph Lauren tag is in cursive font.

I think I've seen the cursive label shirts in at least three different collars (Regent, Andrew, and Estate), but there might be more out there.

Yeah, this one is badass. I guess this is called Royal Oxford? you could totally see the weave and it has a very nice sheen to it.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've heard of those but never come across any.  I wonder what the deal was, they were selling RLPL quality at slightly higher PRL prices.

I don't think any PRL shirts are made in Italy any more, even their nice cursive label dress shirts are made in China now.  The cursive label PRL dress shirts I own are quite nice, and clearly nicer than regular PRL or Brooks Brothers, but also clearly not RLPL level.

Yea the one I have was made in Italy and has nice thick MOP's. :D

Last edited:

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Finally ran into a number of good items at one store, it's been awhile:

2x Luciano Barbera Cable Knit Button Sweaters (No size, I would estimate 24 p2p or there abouts)

Wow, nice find!

Yes, but I don't have any ROOM in my closet!

Yeah, I hear you. Mine are attached to the inside wall, below my ties. My wife and I found a new apartment, so we're turning the second bedroom into a closet. I hope to double my closet space.

thriftydood

Reaction score
No, "Regent" and "Estate" just refers to the collar.

This Regent collar shirt is a regular PRL dress shirt and has plastic buttons:

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12439936

This Regent collar shirt is a premium PRL dress shirt (probably cursive label, but they don't show the label on the website) and has MoP buttons:

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4281904

Not all Estate collar shirts are cursive label shirts. See for example item number 190708195421 on Ebay--this shirt has an Estate collar, but it's not cursive label, so it's not a premium PRL shirt and has no MoP buttons.

The "estate." Around $125-135 as opposed to the regent, which is around $85.

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, "Regent" and "Estate" just refers to the collar.

This Regent collar shirt is a regular PRL dress shirt and has plastic buttons:

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12439936

This Regent collar shirt is a premium PRL dress shirt (probably cursive label, but they don't show the label on the website) and has MoP buttons:

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4281904

Not all Estate collar shirts are cursive label shirts. See for example item number 190708195421 on Ebay--this shirt has an Estate collar, but it's not cursive label, so it's not a premium PRL shirt and has no MoP buttons.

Interesting. You learn something new every day.

Last edited:

acosbysweater

Reaction score
After abject disappointment at a few stores, I had nearly given up hope for the day. The stop prior to this one, I found a couple awesome 700-fill North Face pieces, both of which I reluctantly left at $15 due to the need for cleaning and a couple damaged spots. I grumbled as I put them back and looked forward to the next stop, one which often rewards with at least one badass piece.

Let's start off with the one that I'm keeping for myself. No big name here, just a nicely tailored peak lapel summer jacket. The content tag lists it as a suit, but I think it could easily be worn as a separate.

I actually left one RLPL shirt because it was an unimpressive pattern and was $10, but picked up this gem. 16 1/2, great shape.

On to the jackets....I couldn't leave this pinstriped orphan dangling on the rack. I did a fairly exhaustive search for the pants, but this place is pretty good at keeping suits together so I figured it wasn't meant to be. Fantastic shape.

On my way out, I did one quick sweep through the outerwear and what did I see hiding amongst the XL cotton hoodies?

Yeah!! Silk and Cashmere finery. Despite being a generation or two ago from Zegna, it doesn't look terribly dated. Definitely not like EZ Soft...

And finally, you have to be ******** me.....this thing is pretty recent and is immaculate. Hand picking everywhere...Made in Italy, unlike most recent Zegna product. FFffffffffffff, not my size at all.

I left a Van Laack suit due to lack of funds and being unsure of what I could do with it. It was quite nice and in the same size range as these that I picked up. If I made a terrible mistake, let me know. Also left a much older EZ suit and a really nice charcoal with blue pinstripe HF suit.

Last edited:

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
okay just shipped everything off, I added an couple extra things to each package to apologize for being so slow

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trad history lesson continues :teach:

Tweed! Bespoke. 40 or 41 R, Dual vented.

Tweed. 3/2 Sack, Westport Campus shop, 38-39R

both available

Last edited:

thriftydood

Reaction score
Went out over lunch, and left behind two suits:

Relatively recent Burberry London tan wool suit made by HF--had lots of stains on it, not sure if any were going to come off.

Older (more than 10 years old) navy with blue stripes double-vented (but also double-pleated) Zegna 15 mi mil suit. It had a broken sleeve button, and I don't want to pick up older suits that don't fit me, even if the suit was probably one of the nicest ones I've ever seen in a thrift. The fabric felt incredible, and it was obviously well made.

I did pick up my best haul to date at the last stop (all the same kind of item, though). Will post pictures next week.

tubs

Reaction score
J Press Tweed Blazer 48R- Available.

Chest: 22
Waist: 21
Shoulders: 18.5
Length: 30
Sleeves 23.5

Polo Large (50R) White/Cream Linen Blazer. Available.

Chest: 23
Waist: 21.75
Shoulders: 20
Length: 31.5
Sleeves: 25.75

J Crew Medium Wool Blazer. Available.

Chest: 22.75
Waist: 22.5
Shoulders: 19.5
Length: 30.5
Sleeves: 22.25

J Crew 40L Legacy Sport Coat. 2008 Holiday Season, Unworn. Available.

Last edited:

Samuel Smith

Reaction score
okay just shipped everything off, I added an couple extra things to each package to apologize for being so slow
no apologies needed ... at least on my end. hope all your tasks went well for you this past week, in GOOD HeALTH!

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

J Press Tweed Blazer 48R- Available.

Chest: 22
Waist: 21
Shoulders: 18.5
Length: 30
Sleeves 23.5

That's no 48 my friend, not unless J Press uses European sizing (do they?)
Anyway, it looks undarted, although it is hard to tell on screen. If so, that should be pretty popular with the trad crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads