1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Well-Known Member

Look at this goodness right here wouldja? Wes killing it with that ferocious RG Skeet Blanket...

Pull!

2. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Here are the last two pairs of shoes I've thrifted in better detail. Neither have any polish on them yet, but I did apply leather conditioner a few times. I'll be working on these for a couple more days. These Edward Greens are probably the most amazing shoes I've come across in a thrift store so far (including the Crockett & Jones). The chestnut color ones are Allen Edmonds Lombards. The black ones are 1946 vintage Edward Greens. Both are my size... Such horrible decisions the thrift gods make us make! What sort of person donates an essentially brand new pair of AEs to GW?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Edited to add action photo of the Allen Edmonds... My feet like them. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  3. SeaJen

SeaJen Well-Known Member

^what decision. Great shoes in great condition in your size at thrift prices. Keep 'em and enjoy the bounty of your labors.

4. 330CK

330CK Well-Known Member

Thanks, gents. :fistbump:

Haha, you're right. But that was taped probably almost a year before the episode aired, just after my last haircut.

1 person likes this.
  5. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Which other shoes to get rid of to make room on the shoe rack...

6. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

Wow! I had this same shirt as well as a very similar one a couple years back. Only got $40-something for each and I thought to myself that these print RG shirts must not do as hot as the embroidered shirts. He's doing something right!

This. Those vintage EGs would be something of a thrifting trophy find for me.

7. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Well-Known Member

One good stop today.

Ties - Brioni, Canali, Zegna. Brioni has a stain, but I got it for a buck to try to clean it. Left a bunch more fugly dated Zegna ties.

[​IMG]

Gap selvage, 34

[​IMG]

Incotex chinolinos, 38, never hemmed but with some discoloration. Hoping a good oxyclean soak will take care of them.

[​IMG]

Light blue Zanella unicorns, 36

[​IMG]

ANNNNDDD the piece de resistance: RLPL linen and leather...what? Safari pants? 32

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

All available, but I may need near Ebay prices for the RLPLs.

8. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

^^^ Those RLPL pants look amazing, but something looks off on the size tag. And something that insane made by RLPL is made in China... ? :puzzled:

2 people like this.
  9. SeaJen

SeaJen Well-Known Member

Better to dissolve a problem than solve it...bigger shoe rack.

10. acousticfoodie

acousticfoodie Well-Known Member

Picked up a 100% cashmere grey Canali sportcoat today. I don't really know too much about Canali other than people here seem to pick them up a lot. Is there different lines of quality? Or is it a pretty safe bet that this should be a good quality sportcoat?

11. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Well-Known Member

Would a fake actually say made in China?

12. Timmah

Timmah Well-Known Member

I have ran into plenty of things that do.

13. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

Me, too, bro, me, too...Need one now!!!
    I think the fit looks good but it could be a bit shorter and could use some suppression.
    I totally missed that! What was this about? Links?

14. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Well-Known Member

You generally want to stay away from the "Milano" or "Propasta" lines as those tend to be older, more dated cuts. The newer labels look something like this:

[​IMG]

15. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

Total noob question. [​IMG] Well, Canali is pretty underrated on SF. But we love it! Their lowest line is Proposta. It's marketed towards young men. The quality is ok. I think it's a bit better than Z Zegna. But I usually pass on those. The mainline is really solid. I think Canali Exclusive line is the highest. I usually pass on the older lines which has lower gorge and unvented. I don't have a pic of the older tag but you'll know it when you see it.

Edit: Thanks Cotton Dockers ^^ The older line is Milano. I usually pass those. I did sell one for about $20...

16. woodchuck312

woodchuck312 Well-Known Member

You don't look at many fake designer purses at thrift shops do you? :)

Just about every one will say GUCCI made in Italy on the outside or Burberry etc and a little Made in China tag inside [​IMG]

I always make it a habit to check luggage and leather goods/purses on my thift stops just because i like to find cool stuff for my wife and kids(toys) as well. I'd really like to find a really nice high end purse for the wife but so far the only thing i have found good but not fake is more obscure Vintage English brands, which she happened to like [​IMG]

17. AndroFan

AndroFan Well-Known Member

Agreed, the size and shade of purple on the tag looks funky...and the idea of RLPL made in China makes my head hurt. My vote is fake holmes.

18. 330CK

330CK Well-Known Member

I was on vacation in Georgia again and happened to stop by Gallery 63 in Atlanta while they were taping for Auction Kings. I bid on a few items that day, and I guess an editor at the production company had a crush on me because they franken-clipped me into several episodes.

Fake or not, I'd wear the shit out of those riding pants.

19. thriftydood

thriftydood Well-Known Member

The RLPL pants are definitely sketchy-looking.

The RL label looks slightly off (but that might just be the picture). In addition, the font of the size label doesn't look right, and I don't think RLPL indicate the inseam in their pants. The care label refers you to "down experts", which makes no sense. Having said that, you do have the pants in your possession. Do they seem like RLPL quality?

20. acousticfoodie

acousticfoodie Well-Known Member

Thanks for the quick response to my noob Canali question! I'll go home and take some pics later on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.