1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Digmenow

Digmenow Well-Known Member

Hey! :angry: Easy on the cat bashing!
    You should send that pic to the thrift pic judging site! Wait, never mind. It's too good for 'em. Meanwhile, I was in Value Village today and realized that a rather well dressed and attractive gilf was watching me shop (women's pants for SWMBO) and when I looked up and made eye contact, she smiled quite broadly. I smiled back and kept flipping through the pants.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Can't have fit pics without Reese. [​IMG]
    Oh yeah, almost forgot. Anyone here wear size 14D? I don't, so they are available! Send me a PM is you are intereseted. I'd rate them about a 6 or 7 out of 10. [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. mainy

mainy Well-Known Member

well considering that most of those pictures look to be from mainland china, i am confused as to how they have any relation to the proper definition of a "free market". considering that the fundamental building blocks of a free market are private property rights and contract law, it's incredibly disingenuous to try and masquerade a top down corporatist bribe driven economy such as the chinese one as "free market" in any true sense of the term...

1 person likes this.
  3. mainy

mainy Well-Known Member

very very nice and slept on brand for personal wear, you can score some amazing deals on it on ebay.

4. GM-H

GM-H Well-Known Member

Sorry for all the questions today but are these C&J?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Well-Known Member

Clearly, you don't get it. Allusions to China in the context of the so-called free market are apt, not because of China's political and economic innerworkings (e.g. how industry works within the country) but, instead, in relation how the country positions its domestic production relative to the rest of world. This is where the notion that the free market, somehow, has the ability to self-legislate comes apart. If costs are indeed the driver of self-correction (and lets not kid ourselves, they are), there's no viable mechanism to protect dramatic economic inequities (and all the problematic things that accompany them, like complete climate destruction) that emerge on a global level. People who run countries like China have no interest in allowing development - they capitalize on our naive belief that markets fix things without allowing things to actually be fixed (e.g. labor, ecological practice, political culture, whatever) for obvious and self-serving reasons. I'm not arguing for what you call a "planned economy," just pointing out that this continued ideological reverence for the free-market's seemingly magical (and wholly unobservable, I might add) power to create systems of stability and growth skirts the fact that people working collectively, not markets, fix things. Capitalism exists by necessity and it's a fine enough system provided we break away from the black & white narrative that it needs to exist without limitation.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  6. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Well-Known Member

The script below is Garo Yepremian's autograph. He went into the tie business when he left football.

7. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Well-Known Member

sounds to me like what you're saying is "free markets lead to human progress, such as the ipad. but chinese corporate statism leads to environmental degradation and human rights abuses, like in the case of the factories that make the ipad."

also: can you please point us to an example of something/someplace that meets your "proper definition of a 'free market'" so that we can analyze whether or not said "free market" has led to human progress?

8. mainy

mainy Well-Known Member

i disagree with the fundamental premise of your argument but i'm not going to debate it in this thread :nodding:

9. Digmenow

Digmenow Well-Known Member

JFC!

I agonized over an hour about buying those size 14's for someone on this thread who might want them and now they get buried under this effing philosophy of economics discussion?

W.T.F?

3 people like this.
  10. HansderHund

HansderHund Well-Known Member

I had to turn "JFC" over in my head for a few seconds to figure out what it meant! I know someone here is a 14...I remember their interest in some other larger shoes, so I'm sure they'll chime in on this pair.

1 person likes this.
  11. mainy

mainy Well-Known Member

you see environmental degradation and human rights abuses - i see people eating in a country where decades earlier mao starved 40 million. it might not be fast enough progress for you, or as aesthetically pleasing as some would prefer, but it is nonetheless progress. fact of the matter is china is full of millions of unskilled workers that have jobs thanks to our ipads. if you want real answers, look at the chinese government and the undisclosed remninbi basket, lol.

2. gilded age america, some of the SEZ's in china you could argue for, singapore to an extent, america still to a certain degree, australia isn't bad depending on the angle you're coming at it from, i mean a true free market has really never been tried for an extended period of time. esp. since in the global economy you are dealing with massive impediments to free trade every where you look, and barriers masquerading as "free trade" laws / pacts, so there is a lot of market distortion. obviously there are many differing views on this

12. mainy

mainy Well-Known Member

if i wasn't buried under 14 inches of snow i'd be thrifting. damn it all

13. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Well-Known Member

the gilded age happened to coincide with the Chinese Exclusion Act, which limited SEVERELY eliminated job competition for american workers. not sure how you'd call that a free economy.

point is: there's never been a truly free market. anywhere, ever. to say FREEMARKET GOOD REGULATION BAD (like you did initially re "human progress") just oversimplifies everything, and allows people to cherrypick. good stuff that happened in country X at time Y --> due to the free market aspects in place. bad stuff that happened in country X at time Y --> due to the anticompetitive aspects in place.

OK EVERYONE BACK TO NOT THRIFTING.

14. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

:wow:

I honestly think this is the biggest derail I've ever seen in this thread.

2 people like this.
  15. Tweets

Tweets Well-Known Member

Look very similar to the marking on the BB shoes I posted yesterday, someone confirmed they were Church's.

16. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Well-Known Member

im just doing my part to entertain the guys stuck at home due to inclement weather! :slayer:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

17. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Well-Known Member

Fucking win. I gotta stop posting after I take Ambien. Not that I have any issues with my post, just that I have zero recollection of having made it. Nevertheless, I appreciate the answers. I was just curious if it ever crosses your minds. Also, to Concealed, the answer is yes. I pass on tons of stuff that I find ugly or distasteful regardless of the brand. However, I dont rely on flipping income in any way so I understand that makes me an outlier of sorts on this thread.

18. MZhammer

MZhammer Well-Known Member

Being completely SW&D ignorant, information?
    [​IMG]

19. HansderHund

HansderHund Well-Known Member

I've already posted my thrift finds today, so I'll take a shot at realigning the thread...

My wife and I had planned on going to the US in May, but due to my work schedule, we've pushed it back until August. We are currently choosing a 7-10 day vacation in May and I think we're going to Napoli, a Sartorial heaven. Anyone want anything proxied? I'm even thinking of contacting a couple of tailors there to get something made up.

When we go to the US, we're going to hit up California...a thrifter's dream. Nat, I know you were recently there, any suggestions? LA guys, anything I should know??

20. caseyfud

caseyfud Well-Known Member

lol you got that shit too? Got 13 inches here in Columbia or so they say. I haven't bothered to go outside and check.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.