1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

+1 Pokerstars was responsible for HOURS of time.. and a few thousand bucks lol.

What was the shit was when we went to the Bahamas on a family trip, booked a room at the Atlantis. Turns out the PCA happened to be in the hotel the very week we were there.. i really did miss my family :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We should get you, me, GMmcl at the woods.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  2. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Well-Known Member

What a sweet find! Available?

I'm with you on the date. Any earlier than mid-1950s and you have Italy a basket case, still recovering from the effects of the war. Any earlier than the war and I'm not sure about the prevalence of ready-to-wear fashion from Italy.

Just my 2 cents.

3. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

Any chance you've come across a fedora in size 7.5/60cm?

4. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

I started watching Nikita again, remembered I could do a Division thrift fit. I swear, I saw some henchmen running through the forest in the same get-up. :embar:

5. mainy

mainy Well-Known Member

aww hell yeah, what year was that? i was supposed to hit up my family in the bahamas and do the PCA thing a few years ago, but I ended up getting sick... i'm still bitter about that! it was like, the only big poker event that was feasible for me to go to when i was <21

also @noob looking good buddy glad you are rocking those shoes if anybody wants a pair i still have a few I think

6. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

In.
    (FTFY, Brian; I'm more centrally located).

How'd I miss this? I had (have? Didn't I give it to one of you as a freebie??) a shirt with this label. Suspected it was pretty old.

7. Jowen

Jowen Well-Known Member

This is a great thrift fit! Love that sweater!

8. SpooPoker

last january

you should DEFO go. No thrifting in the Bahamas (to keep relevant to thread lol) but tourney, cash game all night, beach all day, tourney, repeat. in January. Amazing, would do it again. The cash games were incredible - if you think that Foxwoods or Mohegan is filled with donation stations on a weekend, the Bahamas was just a table full of ATMs. Checkraise all night long and strut out pockets full. Was beautiful. Though I did get burned by a chinese businessman on a check raise, me A9os, flop was 9 K 5 rainbow. 1/5 NL table, pot was maybe 100 pre flop. He bets 50, I know hes not holding a K. I reraise 375, he literally thinks about it for 15 minutes. Calls his all in and shows A5os. Turn was an A, river a 5. Motherfuck. Still bitter.

9. sn0wman

sn0wman Well-Known Member

Appreciate the intel. Obviously, I'm not familiar with them - is there a dead giveaway to keep me from buying another?

10. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

Did some investigating: http://vintagefashionguild.org/label-resource/sulka/ Though that page shows a supposed 1970s label with "Palm Beach" on it, this Chicago Tribute article talks about Sulka planning to open its Palm Beach store in the early 90s: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...beverly-hills-store-san-francisco-store-sulka EDIT: I guess they could have had a Palm Beach location earlier that closed, and they re-entered that market in the 90s. EDIT 2: That's indeed the case. Looks like they had a store there in the 60s, probably earlier. I'm no help here :( http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...6skAAAAIBAJ&sjid=PaEFAAAAIBAJ&pg=6017,2811711
    +1 on the cardigan. Very nice, Grendel.

11. SpooPoker

Pretty much stay away from that label.. and that embroidered box on the small blade isnt usually found either.

12. sn0wman

sn0wman Well-Known Member

I was just looking it up, and it looks like the spaces between Dolce & Gabbana show it to be fake too.
    Thanks!

13. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

Nice! Those shoes are fucking sweet! I'm still trolling ebay, waiting for the perfect pair from Lanvin. :devil:

1 person likes this.
  14. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

A Sharks fedora? No...

15. dexconstruct

dexconstruct Well-Known Member

I love thrifting when...

I can tell it's Harris Tweed just by touching it.

[​IMG]

Someone left the MMM out on the rack so I didn't even have to look for it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I finally get the mannequin I've been looking for.

[​IMG]

16. HansderHund

HansderHund Well-Known Member

GMMcl - Nice haul!

Waffle House: Not a huge fan, but my wife goes crazy for IHOP. If there's a hotel in the vicinity of an IHOP, that's where we stay. At the very least, the hotel has to provide a hot breakfast.

My weakness? Chick-fil-a. I dream about it. When I'm visiting, I honestly check out the area of the country to see if they have them. If they don't, I'm disappointed and they had better have something else worthwhile such as STEAK N' SHAKE. Steakburgers are sent from heaven.

Poker: I'm down.

17. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

One of my best friend's family owned two Chick-fil-a stores in my home town. A couple years ago my buddy moved up to PA (about an hour from me) and opened his own store. I stop in and get a char-grilled club, or a nugget meal every other Friday as part of my northern thrifting loop.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  18. concealed

concealed Well-Known Member

Not to get too strategic, but why check raise here? Are you hoping he calls with a worse hand or folds? Reason I ask, is because if you know you have the best hand you don't want him to fold!

19. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Well-Known Member

I gotta send the Vintage Fashion Guild a pic of my label. They don't have it and could add it to the collection. Thanks for your contribution here, even though it raises more questions (happens a lot here because those manufacturers refuse to date their garments like the mind does coins, ha)

Just by the "C" in company, compared to the dates at the Label Resource, I am guessing 1965-1972. Ish

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  20. HansderHund

HansderHund Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call it northern Pennsylvania, I'd call it heaven.

I bring home a bag full of Chick-Fil-A sauce every time I leave the US. I always ask the worker and offer to pay. One time, a manager was waiting on me and said "You only get here once a year?" and then said here, take a few more and gave me about 20 of them. Great people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.