1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

:lurk:

Last time I was at a Waffle House, it was in Virgina Beach, and they had armed security guards posted outside.

2. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, speaking of mainy, shout-out to mainy for these super-dope sneakers, y'all. Click spoilers for winrar.

THRIFT FIT

Theory stealth jacket of $400+ ridiculousness (goodwill)
    Undercover $9,000 stealth pants (b&s)
    Gucci, lol (mainy)

Apologies to sw&d dudes who already endured this

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  3. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

Here's the score. No time tonight to spruce it up, or obsess about picture quality so I'm just going to post it.

L to R, top to bottom:
    Paul Stuart/Samuelsohn (charcoal gray DB single vent), PRL Corneliani (navy flannel, dual vent, ticket pocket), Paul Stuart/Samuelsohn (navy, single breast, single vent)
    Oxxford (navy stripe, single breast, single vent), HF (silver tag, solid navy, single breast single vent)
    [​IMG]
    L to R
    Valentino (don't normally brag, but it's Super 120s and is important to gauge volume), Harris Tweed, Paul Stuart blue sport coat (non-orphan.... I think), J Press (absolutely pristine beige cotton suit)
    [​IMG]
    L to R, top to bottom
    4 x Zegna shirts (varying age, incl su misura)
    5 x Zegna shirts (varying age)
    2x Alain Figaret, Ben Silver, J Press, BBGF
    CT Sea Island, CT non-iron slim fit
    [​IMG]
    NWOT FU-red HT tie for me
    [​IMG]
    Trafalgar braces
    [​IMG]

Condition on most of this stuff is OK, though a few have minor issues. Most shirts need a solid soak, the PRL has a manageable hole in the trou, and the Stuart double breasted has a pinhole in the arm.

Passed on so, so, SO much good stuff, either because the damage was even worse or because they were orphaned/reverse orphaned.

But the most demoralizing feeling HAS to be going to one of your semi-regular spots (1x per 2-3 weeks) and seeing the reverse orphan to the orphan you passed last time around, with the orphan nowhere to be found. As I've already observed, I rarely remember something after I leave a store, but this time, it stuck with me: Stuart/Samuelsohn double breasted, ticket pocket, dual vent brown flannel chalk stripe. It was really, really cool. Trou were nowhere to be found. Until today, when the jacket was missing. I know for a fact that this store pulls things out the week after the color goes on sale, and tosses them out. So this is a permanent orphan situation. I'm nauseous again just thinking about it.

Edit: Spoo (or anyone else) - Name the time and place for poker, and I'll be there.

4. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Well-Known Member

The other thing you can bet on at the WH is the over/under on how many times you'll be called Hun or Darlin

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

Dont tempt me bro. Youre within driving distance.

How far are you from Foxwoods?

6. sn0wman

sn0wman Well-Known Member

Quote:
    I absolutely SECOND that... The only time I tried steak and eggs at waffle house, I might as well have been eating the sole of my Allen Edmonds.. As a matter of fact.. they cost about the same.. :)

7. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

~ 2 hours. A mere hop, skip and jump.

1 person likes this.
  8. grendel

grendel Well-Known Member

Thrift fit from today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pringle Shetland Wool shawl collar cardigan from eBay
    HF Brown / pink / slate gray-blue check cutaway collar thrifted by me
    Wilkes Bashford cashmere tie from Marshalls
    BB Hudson chocolate cords, thrifted by me
    Pantharella cashmere socks from Wingtip clearance

1 person likes this.
  9. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

I am, but don't worry about picking the stuff up. The thrifts here are loaded... I've found tons of shirts, hats and a hoodie. I'm hoping for jerseys (looks up into the sky pleading with the thrift gods)...

10. cpmac7

cpmac7 Well-Known Member

Anyone live near dallas? I d be down to meet up at Winstar :)

11. mainy

mainy Well-Known Member

i love to gambol! i am not a tournament player, though one of my best friends is a damn good one. i try to get out and play a couple nights a week, poker is my first love. let's have a SF vegas meetup. 2/5 NLH game! would be great... nothing like getting tanked on massive frozen booze slushies then stumbling through the Tom Ford store at Crystals.

12. sn0wman

sn0wman Well-Known Member

Had a rare moment where I again bought ties today..

This was my first Gucci, my first Dolce & Gabbana, and my first Brioni (that wasn't a bow tie) all at the same store. Surprisingly, I think I can wear all of them.

[​IMG]

Less interesting, also snagged a Zegna and a couple of Robert Talbotts. One of them was labelled OMAGGIO - hadn't seen that before.

[​IMG]

13. Friskydingo

Friskydingo Well-Known Member

Thanks Spoo and Chet, for confirming that fake. It was polyester and weird, so I left it. Good pass I guess. :D

14. SpooPoker

^ sadly, your first dolce & gabbana is fake...

15. SpooPoker

2/5 NL tourney or cash game.... big BIG dif :)

16. concealed

concealed Well-Known Member

Sounds like hes talking cash games, 2/5 NL happens to be my game of choice at Foxwoods

I would like to play the 2/5 & 5/10 PLO game that gets going, but too big for my bankroll

man do i miss PokerStars

17. mainy

mainy Well-Known Member

yeah, cash games ftw

i miss online too - live you're forced to play 9, 10 handed... ugh... 6 max please! PLO is the devils game, lol. one of my buddies ran up 175k on full tilt back in 2010 over the course of about 3 weeks, started at .25/.50 and just moved up aggressively. he was lucky to get the money withdrawn before black friday, then we went to the WSOP that summer (2011) and he dusted off like 75 large of it in 2 weeks playing in an uncapped 2/5plo game + tourny buyins. good times

18. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

19. grendel

grendel Well-Known Member

It's limited by the very uncomfortable booths and 55 degree a/c... They definitely don't want you hanging out for a long time.

20. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

Woah! I knew you were from the future! :nodding:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.