1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Well-Known Member

i need a dslr. my nikon l310 is shit.

2. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

lol, the store near my house has one for $100. I'm waiting for a price drop. I was gonna cop but realized that's way too flashy even for my taste.

3. pbdeng4

pbdeng4 Active Member

Hey, random lurker here. I made my way to SF thrift stores yesterday with some friends and bought up all my young professional shirts in about 30 minutes (which consisted of 7 brook brothers mainline slim fit shirts for like 30 bucks all together, I was happy). Anyway what I was happy about was I popped my Zegna cherry with...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Granted, I'm not sure what I'll ever wear this with.

As far as Zegna goes also, not just one piece but.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This probably doesn't seem like a big deal to other people, but I'm pretty happy with my fortune of finding a "higher end" brand. I'm also still learning the differences between a sport coat and suit jacket and I'm going to assume that this is a suit jacket? If it is then I'm kind of bummed out because I couldn't spend the time to find the matching bottoms since my friends were waiting on me...

I also got...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Happy thrifting!

4. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

Nikon D3100, but honestly its all about the light more then the camera IMO

[​IMG] Thanks and yea. It was a Brooks Brothers 346 jacket. I think he really didnt like the quality after he got it and said the "check" color was darker in the pictures... oh well. I took it back

5. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Well-Known Member

suggestions for lighting?

6. LOLjon

LOLjon Member

[​IMG]

Hi, I'm new to this thread but have been shopping throughout the globe. Here's my latest thrift find: a vintage deconstructed dress shirt reminiscent of comme des garçons that cost me 4 USD :3 It may not be everyone's cup of tea but with the right jacket or coat it should play out swell :)

7. Digmenow

Digmenow Well-Known Member

I can't find "the treatment" since it seems to be buried so far back in the thread.

Can someone repost it? Meanwhile, I'll offer up something I mentioned last night. Having come back from a trip to the Goodwill where I found the Paul Smith Jeans seersucker shirt for $2.50, SWMBO came home with TWO STUFFED BAGS for less than a C note! Nothing terribly special but she was happy but there was one sweater looked like it had pink nail polish on one sleeve.

My daughter, who scored well on her own with some nice outerwear, put both my shirt and the sweater with the stains in a bucket of hot (from the stove) water, half a bottle of hydrogen peroxide and around a quarter cup of Dawn dish washing detergent.

Nail polish and ring around the collar were both GONE, this morning!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Well-Known Member

Was it shrinkage or is that just Paul Smith sizing? I found a cool M, was stoked...then put it on back at home. If it was an S in real life that would be exaggerating. A thrift I go to has an XL I was going to pick up but...collar fraying. I should go and try it on -- and then we'd know.

10. NJMichael

NJMichael Member

Here are some photos of the London Fog I picked up on Friday at a local thrift store - not what I normally see for these jackets. Is a size 42 (and I am a 46), when I get around to it will have it up for sale or trade.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

12. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Well-Known Member

A couple of thrift store strikeouts yesterday but hit up Nordstrom Rack because I needed socks and came home with 4 pairs of Pantharella and 1 pair Brooks Brothers made in Itay for $5 a piece.

13. Shiny

Shiny Well-Known Member

Great finds esp. by csouklis (Kiton!) and da Greek. :worship:

Kinda boring outfit today but 1) I have to work on President's day :angry: and 2) it's mostly all thrifted.

OCBD E zegna L/S sleeve shirt (thrifted by me), Trafalgar belt (thrifted by me), olive/brown PRLblue cords (thrifted by me just last week, i think) Florsheim shell PTBs (acquired from Atljohn!).

[​IMG][​IMG]

14. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

I went there for a 2 night run of Phish shows at the "E" Center back in the early 2000's. I've got some interesting stories from that trip, to say the least. :embar:

15. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Channeling the Beach Boys while waiting for 1/2 off sale... Pendleton shirt and REI Ivy cap.

[​IMG]

16. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Well-Known Member

This is currently an impossibility.

17. sparrow

sparrow Well-Known Member

Picked up a wool tie, doesn't have the luster of a silk tie, but a good addition i think to my collection
    [​IMG]

18. SeaJen

SeaJen Well-Known Member

I dont ever pick up Woolrich stuff but this felt like it was worth grabbing (tweedy harrington-like coat with removable lining)

[​IMG][​IMG]

I also don't know much about APC beyond the love for their denim on SF, but ebay prices for their coats seem promising.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Also popped some thrift cherries.
    Charvet and Brioni (and not pictured two mint condition J.Press silk knits).

[​IMG]

Also picked up this for my wife. I've compared it to her store-bought one and I cant see any reason to not think it legit.

[​IMG]

19. GM-H

GM-H Well-Known Member

Are these the Edwin's I'm looking for?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  20. tubby34

tubby34 Well-Known Member

My thrift attire, interview today, my second. Whole thing ran me about 50 or so plus a little more for tailoring. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.