• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Been traveling for the past two weeks, but on my travels picked up an Oxxford for NM silk tuxedo jacket - labeled a 44L but almost fits me as a 41R 

Wow, that is bad ass!!!!!

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dior Jeans Available
Sorry for the delay boys. Measurements as follows:
33.5" waist-->16.75" across the waist
10.25" Front Rise
14.5" Back Rise
11" Thigh
8.25" Knee
7.5" Leg opening
39" Inseam

Grenson 10.5 G (UK Size) which I think converts to an 11.5 E in US, but not 100% on that. Available

Brooks Brothers 100% Camelhair Coat size 48L Available

^^In our neck of the woods??
puzzled.gif

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another top third thrift pic.

Quick one at work.

I am sitting down, I think it is creating a super wide feel to the lapels, they don't look that big in the mirror.
puzzled.gif

Suit-Burberry
Shirt-Tm Lewin (From Larson-who is awesome to deal with by the way)
Tie- RT Best of Class (From someone here, I forget, sorry!)

Not Pictured:
Shoes-Florsheim Royal Imperial Long-wings

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked these up at Nordstrom Rack. Brown Melange pants, Napoli di Nordstrom, Loro Piana wool and cashmere.

I've never seen such a discount there before, and in my size.

This was free at a local church fair (we gave a donation though)...machine made, obviously, but it works nicely in our morning room.

Two identical pairs of PRL navy wool pants. Pleated and cuffed (36W 34L). Available.

Church's custom grade brown tassel loafers. Kingsley model, UK 9.5, so about 10-10.5 US, Medium width. Likely their bookbinder leather. Great condition and I'm irritated that they are a tad too small for me. Available.

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked these up at Nordstrom Rack. Brown Melange pants, Napoli di Nordstrom, Loro Piana wool and cashmere.

This was free at a local church fair (we gave a donation though)...machine made, obviously, but it works nicely in our morning room.

Two identical pairs of PRL navy wool pants. Pleated and cuffed (36W 34L). Available.

Church's custom grade brown tassel loafers. Kingsley model, UK 9.5, so about 10-10.5 US, Medium width. Likely their bookbinder leather. Great condition and I'm irritated that they are a tad too small for me. Available.

Amazing! I was just there, saw the same pants, and I think they were something like $79.

Randomore

Reaction score
Just curious, do any of you tell people where you get your clothes from? Or do you keep your treasure troves secret? Embarassed that you picked them up at thrift stores and completely lie? I ask because I got compliments on my "thrift fit" at work and after revealing that I picked up a couple pieces from a thrift store... they began asking for specifics on locations brands etc. Should I have just bit my tongue and say Nordstrom?

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I popped into a couple of Gaps to check out their selvage (I thought it was spelled "selvedge" until I just looked at their site) and didn't see any in the stores. The closest I came was to their "premium" denim and it wasn't anything special. I had really set aside money to piss away on nice denim and walked away without having seen anything that I had to have.
I did find two pairs of Levi 514s Slim Straight leg jeans that I love. They're nothing special I suppose, but some of the first that fit me length-wise. No word on how well they wash, hopefully they don't bleed too much. I grabbed them for around $25/pair and I wish I would have gotten 2-3 more in my size as they're like €75-100 a pair here. Anyone looking for simple, dark, straight jeans that fit well, check those out!

They had it last fall but their next season there was no selvedge. Haven't looked again since. I like my RRL much better. The Gap is too narrow in the thigh for me.

Randomore

Reaction score
Im almost done reading this entire thread, reading about 50 pages per day at work for the last couple months. From DM7's crazy hauls to the vast knowledge of brands, labels, quality etc. Very interesting read and very useful information. Appreciate the contribution from all of you. Living in Los Angeles, I have come across some great finds myself and will begin posting pictures as soon as mods allow me to...

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just curious, do any of you tell people where you get your clothes from? Or do you keep your treasure troves secret? Embarassed that you picked them up at thrift stores and completely lie? I ask because I got compliments on my "thrift fit" at work and after revealing that I picked up a couple pieces from a thrift store... they began asking for specifics on locations brands etc. Should I have just bit my tongue and say Nordstrom?
Only my close friends and co-workers know about my thrifting "problem". A lot of folks can't stand the thought of wearing other folks clothes, no matter how cheap they can get them. The others, might wind up in a thrift store someday, and may even find something for themselves, but the chances of them turning into a hard core thrifter/trader/flipper like us on this thread are kinda slim.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just slap them in the face and say "Don't ever question me, boy"

MarkThomas

Reaction score

I am usually proud to admit that most of my wardrobe is from a thrift store. If they ask which one I just say something like: "Oh, all over town. You can find good stuff at any thrift store." If someone asks about brands I just tell them to go by fit and material - i.e. - try it on and don't buy polyester. They wouldn't remember any brand names anyway.

MarkThomas

Reaction score
Im almost done reading this entire thread, reading about 50 pages per day at work for the last couple months. From DM7's crazy hauls to the vast knowledge of brands, labels, quality etc. Very interesting read and very useful information. Appreciate the contribution from all of you.

That's quite an undertaking. I applaud you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads